Help? Good primary schools in werribee area?

chico

Hi All,

I'm not new to the site and haven't posted much, but have found it invaluable with lots of info over the past few years.

We are finally taking the plunge and plan on being in Melbourne March 2010 (Me, hubby and two boys age 8 and 3) in the Werribee, Hopppers Crossing, Wyndham Vale area.

One of my big concerns is for my oldest son He is not keen at all on the move and I'm desperate to find him a really good friendly primary school to help him settle in however I'm finding it hard to get any info on this subject.

Would love to hear from anyone in these areas who has any info on schools, I've also read recently in some posts that some schools don't have any spaces anyway!! If I could get an idea of some of the nicer primarys I could then ring and get more info directly.

Sorry for the rambling post. Any help gratefully received.

Hi

We moved to Wyndham Vale 6 weeks ago and staying in Manor Lakes estate, my daughter is 10 years old and is at manor lakes college. Its from prep to year 12 although they are still building part of the school and so only goes up to about year 7 just now.

My daughter has settled in very well and loves the school, the teachers and staff are very friendly and helpful. The website address is www.manorlakes.com.au you will get the details of the school in this website. Can also recommend living in this estate (you can do private rental or buying at reasonable prices), its all new build houses with lots of families with young children which was our main criteria for where we lived so kids would have plenty friends to play with, some times we hardly get to see our daughter as she has so many friends here!!

We didn't know exactly what area we were going to be staying in before we left uk so i contacted a few of them including Iramoo Primary in Wyndham Vale and Werribee Primary, every school i e-mailed were all exceptionally helpful.

Check out www.education.vic.gov.au website, i think it should give you a list of all the schools in this area and they're website addresses.

As far as i know (someone will correct me if im wrong), if you live in the catchment area for a school then they have let you enroll your child, think it would only be if you wanted a school in a different area than your living in then it would depend if they have spaces or not, probably just the same as uk.

Let me know if you need anymore info and let me know how you get on with the schools.

Maz

Guest The Pom Queen

I did a suburb guide on Point Cook and Sanctuary Lakes, where I wrote down a list of primary and secondary schools in that area: Moving to Melbourne: Point Cook and Sanctuary Lakes Suburb Guide

What you really need to be looking at is the secondary schools, for example the best secondary school in this area is Werribee BUT it is zoned unless you have a gifted child and you apply for the SELP "Select Entry Learning Program" and they may consider you if you are outside the area.

I understand that your children have a long way to go before they reach secondary school but it all depends on your plans, and what we find is that once parents have got their children in to primary school they don't usually like uprooting them again, so wherever you choose the primary school make sure that this is where you really do want to live (hope that makes sense).

You will find when a school is first built (lots of them around at the moment) they are not strict on the zoning, but as soon as they become popular and get close to their maximum numbers then they will zone the school. However, regardless of how many students are at the school if you live in their catchment area they HAVE to take you, the only exception to this is Catholic schools and of course private schools.

Kate:wubclub:

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi

We are moving to Sale in December- any advice for schools for a 9 year old.

I am sorry I don't have knowledge on the primary schools down there, but you do have a few to choose from.

Sale Primary Home Page

Araluen Primary Home Page

Saint Mary' s Catholic Primary School - Welcome to Saint Mary's Catholic Primary School

In regards to secondary schools, Sale Secondary School does not have such a good reputation and doesn't seem to be acheiving the results. Personally I would look at the Catholic College or even going private and attending Gippsland Grammar which is an excellent school and I have heard lots of good reports about it, personally i don't think the fees are bad especially if you only have one child you would probably be looking at around $10 - $15k per year.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Kate:wubclub:

Thanks Maz and Kate for the replies.

Manor Lakes looks like a great development Maz and I'm so glad your daughter has settled well. Do you find it quite big as a school. I only ask as my son goes to a 'normal' sized primary with one class per year with 28-30 in each class. Don't want to scare him off with a huge school.

It sounds great what you say about all the kids playing out and lots of families, made me feel much more positive and not quite so stressed!

Thanks for theuseful info about the secondary schools and the zoning Kate, I guess I need to take it all into account. How do I find out which Primary's are in the right area for a good secondary like Werribee?

I will definitely be checking out the schools websites.

Thanks again :v_SPIN:

Hi Chico

There is 28 children in my daughters class but to be honest they do say it is going to be a big school by the time its finished, however, unlike the uk schools (my sons secondary school was one building 5 flights high) all the schools i've seen so far here are all just ground level buildings so doesnt look so scary. At the manor lakes school at the moment there is about 6 small individual buildings which only holds about 2 or 3 classrooms in each and once the rest of the school is built, it is all going to be the same type and size of buildings, they all look like large bungalows.

Keep in touch and let me know how you get on

Maz

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Chico

There is 28 children in my daughters class but to be honest they do say it is going to be a big school by the time its finished, however, unlike the uk schools (my sons secondary school was one building 5 flights high) all the schools i've seen so far here are all just ground level buildings so doesnt look so scary. At the manor lakes school at the moment there is about 6 small individual buildings which only holds about 2 or 3 classrooms in each and once the rest of the school is built, it is all going to be the same type and size of buildings, they all look like large bungalows.

Keep in touch and let me know how you get on

Maz

Hi Maz

Manor Lakes looks good! We have two children aged 10 and 11 and will be over ready for the new school year. Can you tell me whether you are in the catchment for Werribee High school as keen for the children to go there. The primary schools certainly look good on the website - let me know whether they live up to their good looks!!!

Thanks Karen

Hi Karen

Yes we are in the catchment for Werribee secondary college, thats where my son goes, he'll be 15 in January. Because he was at such a tricky age moving here from education point of view, we were like you and desperate for him to go to that secondary school as its excellent.

The only thing is that the manor lakes school is still being built just now and the secondary part isnt open yet, i suspect that when it is open then that might be the only catchment for manor lakes and might not be able to use werribee secondary. If i were you, i would e-mail werribee and see if they can tell you. I e-mailed them various times before coming here and they were brilliant and went out their way to give me as much info as possible, let me know if you want the e-mail address.

My daughter loves manor lakes school, shes only been there about 6 weeks now so bit hard to judge from her work point of view, but the staff are brilliant and so friendly, all the kids call the teachers by their first name which we found strange at the beginning but my daughter thought that was brilliant!

When are you due to move and do you think you'll be staying in Manor Lakes? Let me know if theres anything else i can help you with.

Maz x

• 9 months later...

Hi

New to this. Moving out end of Jan. Job in Werribee Mercy. Family in Altona. We have 2 kids 7 and 12 so really need to make right choice re schooling. I like the sound of Werribee secondary. Is that where my 12 yold would start and what is their catchment area?We were thinking initially of renting in Altona Meadows as not too far from work. Any info would be really helpful.

Hi cp7,

We're scottish aswell, from Ayrshire, where are you from? I also work at Werribee Mercy, in psychiatric unit. Sounds like we could have a few things in common lol.

Werribee Secondary has recently changed its catchment area, my advice would be to e-mail the school and find out their exact areas, im not 100% sure but dont think Altona Meadows would be within their catchment.

My daughters going to be 11 this weekend and shes in year 5, starting year 6 in February after holidays, so depending on when your childs birthday is, they would be in either year 6 (equivalent to primary 7 in uk) or year 7 (1st year).

There will be lots of areas you can rent in that is close to the hospital. We're in Manor Lakes in Wyndham Vale and its about 10-15 mins away. Anywhere in Werribee, Hoppers Crossing, Wyndham Vale, Tarneit, Truganina, Altona, Altona Meadows, Point Cook etc will all be within 15 mins drive.

Have you been to Melbourne before and what area are you going to be working in at Mercy?

Maz

Thanks Maz. We are from glasgow. I have a job as a midwife at Werribee to start in March. At moment trying to get my application for reg off, very confusing. Think slowly getting it together. I am on the 457 visa, seemed the quickest way. I will definately get in touch with Werribee secondary as I think that will be the ruling factor in where we live. My son starts high school here after summer so I would think he would join first year students there,or equivalent, in Feb.

Ta be in touch Carol

Archived