Shipping budgeting options.

JEM44

Hi, just looking for some "general" advice.

We we are moving next year from the North West UK to Perth, we have a 4 bed house so I'm assuming that we will ship all furniture, will need a 20ft container, so guess we budget for £10k, does this sound about right?

Im also going to cost up what it would cost to just buy new when we arrive, although think this will be too expensive, and whilst I would probably look on Gumtree, I can't budget that way as you can't guarantee prices or availability of goods.

And heres my dilemma question,,.... Assuming we get a holiday rental for a month, then get an unfurnished rental but our shipment will take a minimum of 6 weeks, what do people do for beds, bedding, crockery etc? Do you just buy them new again as I'd thought we would ship them, but now think we'd need them before they arrived?!

thanks, Laura

We are shipping Oxfordshire to Brisbane. £3700 for 20ft. We will be house camping with mats, sleeping bags and plastic crockery at both ends. Should be quite fun and less to keep clean! I think that there is little point shipping and then still buying - either don't bother at all with shipping and buy new or just grin and bear it for 8 weeks. Will buy kettle and iron new due to plug socket issue but that is about it.

We stayed with family so didn't have to worry about staying in an unfurnished house. The container took 9 weeks door to door and I spent 7 weeks at my mums in the UK (OH moved a few weeks before me and kids) and then 2 weeks at my mother in laws here in Australia. If you have friends and family around you in the UK you might find it easier to spend longer without your stuff in the UK and borrow things to keep you going until you leave.

You might need a 40 foot container for a four bedroom house, but even that should be well below your estimate, I would have thought more like £5-6k.

Upon arrival we bought the bare minimum to keep us going in terms of towels, bedding and crockery.

We just brought personal stuff, clothes, toys and kitchen ware. We left all the big furniture so we could buy here as and when we needed it.

Your first few months are tough without having sleepless nights on air mattresses and sleeping bags. It worked for us as our furniture wasn't anything special and in hindsight would not have fitted or suited our house here anyway, if i did everything again id probably bring the tumble dryer and fridge freezer but definitely not much else.

Cal x

Guest colmarwatson

This is for LT, Mark or whomever would know.

What's the shipping fee to Dallas, TX for a FJC Front Tube Bumper?

Called a few times today and VM appears to be full or not working.

Edited by colmarwatson