Going back to the UK for 18 months - what to do with our house?

Bobths

Looking for advice from people who may have done something similar: Hubby's work have said they can give him a secondment back to the UK for 18 months/2 years, but we don't want to sell our house here as we fully intend to return to Aus before our eldest daughter starts school.

Obviously we could rent it out long term, but being Poms we're aware that getting accommodation when you first land in Australia is difficult (or at least it was 5 years ago - we arrived in Melbourne during the Australian tennis open and ended up staying in university halls! Lol). So we thought about letting it out short term to new arrivals; our house is a modern 3 bed townhouse in Melbourne, 2 minutes walk to the local shops, 2 mins walk to the train station, 30 mins on the train to the CBD and 5 mins walk from the beach :-)

Our problem is that we don't have anyone who could do key handovers, inspections, organise cleaners between stays etc. Are there people/agents out there who could do this for us? How does it work? Is there no point doing this now because of the rise of Air BnB and suchlike?

TIA for any advice/tips xx

I know some real estate agents deal in holiday lets alongside their long term rentals. We rented our last couple of Easter holiday let via local agents in the coastal town we wanted to stay in. It was easy to book, arrange and collect keys etc. And to drop them off after.

I'd suggest furnishing it with suitable furniture. Don't leave your own stuff in it unless you are ok with it possibly getting damaged etc. So long as the basics are there, beds, TV, DVD player, few board games, kitchen items (pots, pans, crockery, cutlery etc but you don't need to go overboard), dining table and chairs, BBQ, outside setting and washing machine. Oh, kettle, microwave, toaster, cooker and fridge of course.

Guests seem to be expected to provide their own bed linen (ie, sheets and pillowcases) but the rentals we've stayed in provided the quilts and actual pillows. We also took our own towels, bath mat, tea towels etc.

Functional over fancy IMHO.

Looking for advice from people who may have done something similar: Hubby's work have said they can give him a secondment back to the UK for 18 months/2 years, but we don't want to sell our house here as we fully intend to return to Aus before our eldest daughter starts school.

Obviously we could rent it out long term, but being Poms we're aware that getting accommodation when you first land in Australia is difficult (or at least it was 5 years ago - we arrived in Melbourne during the Australian tennis open and ended up staying in university halls! Lol). So we thought about letting it out short term to new arrivals; our house is a modern 3 bed townhouse in Melbourne, 2 minutes walk to the local shops, 2 mins walk to the train station, 30 mins on the train to the CBD and 5 mins walk from the beach :-)

Our problem is that we don't have anyone who could do key handovers, inspections, organise cleaners between stays etc. Are there people/agents out there who could do this for us? How does it work? Is there no point doing this now because of the rise of Air BnB and suchlike?

TIA for any advice/tips xx

If it's furnished, then I would have thought there would be strong demand for short and medium let's. There are agents that will manage, just Google away.

• 1 month later...

Are you long for a long term rental or quick short term rentals?

If the latter, you will get more money for the rental but also the downside could be without tenants for some periods.

If short term, then bed linen etc I would expect to be provided, maybe even a cleaner once a week to change it as you would be wanting more cash.

I personally would not be looking to rent a short term lease for 3 months and be expected to provide my own bed linen, towels etc. The whole point is I want a serviced unit.

I just noted your location, may be hard for the short term market. Could be wrong!!!

Do you have any big companies around you, as that would help with the short term market.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I would hire the services of a reputable real estate agent, and have them 100% manage the place for you. They could easily rent it out for 2 years. Plus they vet all applications, do inspections every three months, collect rent and sort bonds. Nothing for you to do besides pay them a commission. So much less stress for you. Otherwise what about a house swap for the area you plan to live in the UK.