Renting a place with a pool - is it worth it?

Shayman

Greetings,

My wife and I are moving to Brisbane at the end of this month and are looking at properties to rent on rightmove for the first 12 months or so.

I'd like to ask whether, based on your experiences, you think it is worth paying extra to be somewhere with a pool?

Due to the climate this looks like a bog bonus, but filtering properties with this feature brings back far fewer options...

Regards

I didn't have a pool but then I lived walking distance to the beach in Sydney which of course has outstanding beaches.

We always had this "beach or pool" mindset. So if I had been iin Brisbane, which is not renowned for its beaches, I would quite like a pool. If you can afford it, why not.

We rented until last month. We now have a pool but didn't in the rental. If you can afford one would definitely get somewhere with a pool. Really helps to cool off in the summer and provide a social aspect. Electricity bill is pretty high with a pool though - not just the higher weekly rent.

Greetings,

My wife and I are moving to Brisbane at the end of this month and are looking at properties to rent on rightmove for the first 12 months or so.

I'd like to ask whether, based on your experiences, you think it is worth paying extra to be somewhere with a pool?

Due to the climate this looks like a bog bonus, but filtering properties with this feature brings back far fewer options...

Regards

If it's an option, then I definately would. Brisbane can get quite humid in the summer.

We have a pool but we're in Darwin so it's a no-brainer for us!!

Hi.

To be honest, as nice as a pool can be, be prepared to spend a fair bit of time maintaining it. Coupled with the extra electricity, water and consumables costs for the sake of 12 months I wouldn't bother. Bear in mind pool weather in Brisbane is pretty much over now until November. So in the mean time you'll be paying the premium for having a pool without being able to use it.

If it was myself, I'd forego the pool for now, increase the available properties you can choose from and reduce costs.

Cheers,

Eddy

Not many rentals have pools so the few out there will be a lot more money. If your not planning on renting for a long time i dont think i would bother. If your planning on staying there for a few years then yes maybe consider it but check who is responsible for the maintenance because if its you it will cost you to get someone in to do it for you until you learn how to manage it yourself.

Cal x

We launched straight in and bought a house last year. No pool but we reasoned that if we wanted one we could put one in. We have got a spa though which is a bit of a mixed blessing tbh. Glad we don't have a pool as can do without the hassle and expense.

I think if you are renting having a pool and doing all the maintenance is a good idea as at the end of it you will know whether it is a good thing for you long term particularly if you are planning to buy.

Thanks for the replies. We look more likely than not to be renting a complex-style place initially, so I would imagine the running costs would be built into the rental price.

I would probably use it regularly as I am a fairly active person, and if it were to help us mix with others then that's an additional benefit...

Lots of the complex houses have a communal pool, so its highly unlikely you will find a house in a complex with its own private pool. If you fancy complex living then just search for one that definately has a pool and its a win win situation for you.

Cal x

My one massive regret about renting was not having a pool. Our first summer in Brisbane was literally nothing like I had experienced before. I was sweating after having a shower!! Aircon is great but I loved being able to go to a friends and jump in their pool!!

We have now bought and I was in the pool every weekend and after work over the summer.

I would recommend getting somewhere (if you can) with a pool, be it on a complex or your own rental!

Greetings,

Regards

We've just spent a year in a rental with a pool, and I'd say it was worth it. From early November to mid March I went in the pool near enough every day. It's great to go for a swim after work or as a way to start your weekend morning. On hot days during the summer I went in several times as I preferred that than sat in air con all day inside.

It wasn't much work to maintain, even though the stingey owner refused to supply us with a cover or a proper automatic cleaner and we had big trees nearby. Once, sometimes twice a week I clean it out with the net and then empty the skimmer basket. Once a week I'll also scrub the bottom to ensure it doesn't go green.

During the summer, when the pump was on 8 hours per day our electrical bill more than doubled but apparently this is down to the pump not being energy efficient.

EDIT: Also, listings on real estate sometimes don't add the necessary flag to say the property has a pool so I wouldn't advise using that filter. Our place will be available at the end of July if you're interested. $540 per week in The Gap.

Edited by Paul2412