De facto spouse visa

Guest Dan

Hello all,

I've just found this site, very interesting and have had a trawl around trying to find any info on total application times for a de facto spouse visa.

Basically have just got forms, haven't done any medical or police records yet just still getting forms filled out. Does anyone know how long the whole procedure may take if I'm just starting now? Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Hi - I applied for a fiance visa - not quite the same, but similar, it was approved in 3 weeks and have been living in Adelaide for 3 months now. Where are you lodging it. The one thing I do suggest is having your meds done b4 you send you application.

Hope this helps a bit - but just remember each case is different.

Jenn x

Thanks Jen,

I'm applying to live in Melbourne so guess it will go to the Victorian immigration (although didn't though they regional departments, do they?)

I've just looked through the application and it doesn't mention anything about getting or providing medical checks. What does this entail, a letter from a doctor?

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan

My other half applied for a de facto visa earlier in the year. In all I think it took about 8 weeks before he got the visa in his passport. We didn't front load the application with a medical but did send in the police check with the application. We just decided to do meds when we were told just incase they had other problems with the application.

Have you got a copy of the help book they supply with the application as it will give you loads of information and also tells you where to send the application as if you are in the UK you need to send it to London and they process it there.

The medical will involve an appointment with a panel doctor and also x-rays. You have this done privately so it will cost - I think we paid about £225 for both.

Hope this helps and Have fun filling in the form!!

Heids

• 1 year later...
Guest Hannah410

Hi Heids

I'm trying to decide if I should get my medical done now at the same time of lodging the de facto application. Did they come back and ask you for a medical at a later stage? If so, how far into the process was it?

Thanks

Hannah

Guest bella.b
Hi Heids

I'm trying to decide if I should get my medical done now at the same time of lodging the de facto application. Did they come back and ask you for a medical at a later stage? If so, how far into the process was it?

Thanks

Hannah

Hi Hannah

I had my medical done in March as well as applying for my police check. My medical was sent down to London to await the arrival of my de facto application and my police check was then sent along with the application itself. I sent my application off on the 2nd of June and my visa was granted on the 14th and have just received my passport back today with visa inside!! In my own personal opinion I would definately recommend having your medical done before you lodge your application as the whole process for us was so quick because of it.

Good luck!

hey guys,

we got our defacto spouse visa last week. We sent off the forms with the police check included and my meds were booked for two days after the forms were sent, took the doc about two weeks to send them to London and a week later we had our visa.

Police checks and meds are only valid for a year and you must validate before they expire, if you are planning on going quickly I would do it this way. I wouldn't have my meds before sending the visa (just a personal preference) in case they thought 'whose are these??' and lost them!

Guest bella.b

Hiya guys

I was also concerned about front loading my medicals however I was assured by the Doctor who carried out the medical that it would not be a problem. She told me that she had been to visit the commission in London to see how the system works a few weeks previously and said she was very impressed by the whole system they have. She also mentioned that it was only up until recently that they have started to accept front loaded medicals. She explained to me (she was very chatty!!) that apparently there had been a massive backlog of applications sitting waiting for medicals to come through and this was causing a delay in applications being processed. A result of this is that they now accept medicals in advance to applications. This is only the advice I received from one person (the doctor) and I went with it and it all worked out fine. I hope this helps!

Archived