White goods

stevio

Hi Folks

Does anybody know whether rental properties are designed to accommodate our white goods that we are looking to bring with us from the UK?

By this I mean washing machine,tumble drier,free standing fridge freezer etc or are the kitchens designed for integrated appliances?

Thanks

Stevio

Hi Stevio, most homes have some sort of laundry room (utility room) and allow for free standing appliances or the dryer goes on the wall above washer, most newer homes have a large space that accommodate the larger type fridge/freezers. so I can not see you having any problems.

Every rental I have looked at has at least one item already installed, so you might have a dishwasher or a washing machine with a UK plug standing idle in the garage for a while.

We purchased a Panasonic washing machine for $600 (£325) and a Whirlpool Butler fridge freezer for $549 (£300), you couldn't get them as cheap as that in the UK, electrical items are well cheap!

Thanks for this information PerthBlue.

My daughter works for Hoover/Candy here in the UK so we can get great prices....however if we can purchase them in Oz and save on shipping costs it may be worth looking at.

Where do you recommend to purchase white goods in Oz?

Cheers

Stevio

My daughter works for Hoover/Candy here in the UK so we can get great prices....however if we can purchase them in Oz and save on shipping costs it may be worth looking at.

We got our goods at a chain called Harvey Norman, bit like Currys except they also sell furniture.

The Good Guys compete favourably with Harvey Norman and the salesmen operate on commission so there are bargains to be had.

Good luck

Cheers

Stevio

Bear in mind that if you buy new in the UK and then ship to Aus the warrenty may not be valid.

Also for fridge freezers or fridges, the Aus ones are bigger. Defo wider. Our UK fridge freezer would only fill half the space we have for our Aus fridge freezer in our kitchen. There would be a big gap thats for sure.

One other thing, many Aus laundry rooms are set up for top loading washing machines. Our laundry room has no worktops (though we plan to put a small one in at some point when we change washing machines) and the space for the tumble dryer is up on the wall well over our top loading washer. Washing machines tend not to be plumbed into kitchens.

I'd not expect white goods in rentals. A cooker or hob and over yes, but the rest not. Unless they also have a dishwasher plumbed in. I didn't see many rentals with washing machines or fridges etc. In fact, hardly, if any.

Every rental I have looked at has at least one item already installed, so you might have a dishwasher or a washing machine with a UK plug standing idle in the garage for a while.

We purchased a Panasonic washing machine for $600 (£325) and a Whirlpool Butler fridge freezer for $549 (£300), you couldn't get them as cheap as that in the UK, electrical items are well cheap!

Think we have the same fridge - that thing came with so many gadgets too.

Appliancesonline.com.au

theelectricdiscounter.com.au are worth checking out

appliances online are good but i would never shop at Harvey Norman. Its very expensive and their furniture is dreadful. Ideal if you are a pensioner with old fashioned tastes. Its not known as Hardly Normal nor nothing.

you need to be cheeky and ask for discounts and you can get quite a lot off. when we came over we bought everythign brand new and paid about half price as we bought so much. weve just bought a new house and probably got about a third of everything from the Good Guys.

appliances online are good but i would never shop at Harvey Norman. Its very expensive and their furniture is dreadful. Ideal if you are a pensioner with old fashioned tastes. Its not known as Hardly Normal nor nothing.

I can't speak for the furniture as we didn't use Harvey Norman, but their extensive white goods range is the best I've found and I consider myself a very savvy shopper, each to their own I suppose, but you may be missing out Boganbear.

we bought a new washing machine and brought it over with us and I would not recommend it.....our AEG machine didn't work from the day it arrived to us here in OZ shipped from the UK and then the warranty was void as it was a European brand!! we couldn't even get anyone to come out and have a look at it ( and we was prepared to pay) !!! so my advice is buy here in OZ and also you wont have to mess around changing plugs!!! but I would bring a Dyson vac with you ( if you have one) as they are soooooo expensive over here!!

Hi I bought all out white goods with us, My fridge was brand new and still works now. The washing machine worked too. I had to buy another one last year and I hate it. If you can afford to bring your stuff with you then do so. Everyone said don't bring my TV well I have been here 6 years and its still working fine like my dvd, video, and surround sound system. Good luck with the move :)

I personally wouldn't bring white goods over with you for a number of reasons. They will all need adaptors or there plugs changing when you get here. The space for fridge/freezers in each house varies. (We bought a fridge freezer when we got here to fit the space in our rented property and now the house we bought we have a larger space so could have fit a larger one in!!! :mad: ) If you go somewhere like Harvey Normans you can get a good deal if you buy all the things there. We saved enough to buy a tv! It will save on shipping and they will all be under warranty. Just my personal opinion. :wink:

It's not really worth buying online as The Good Guys will price match most online stores anyway. Certainly appliancesonline they will.

As above, Harvey Norman and The Good Guys are definitely worth a look, you could even browse their websites to compare prices... Kambo's are also pretty good for WA based shoppers

If you're buying white goods in Australia don't forget to haggle. I highly rate the Good Guys, but not their sticker prices. My advice is choose the model you want, then check the internet for the best price. You could order it on the internet of course, but take that price back to the Good Guys and in most cases they'll match it or almost match it but with a quicker delivery than you'd get over the internet.

Edited by Ken

If you're buying white goods in Australia don't forget to haggle.

I know its not a 'white good' but to emphasise the point about haggling, I purchased an electric toothbrush at The Shaver Shop (awesome blokes shop) and got the price down from $159.95 to $109.95, I was so proud of myself!

Incidently, the toothbrush I bought is the top of the range Colgate 1500 which retails for £110 on Amazon.uk, electrical items are so cheap over here!

• 2 weeks later...
Bear in mind that if you buy new in the UK and then ship to Aus the warrenty may not be valid.

Also for fridge freezers or fridges, the Aus ones are bigger. Defo wider. Our UK fridge freezer would only fill half the space we have for our Aus fridge freezer in our kitchen. There would be a big gap thats for sure.

One other thing, many Aus laundry rooms are set up for top loading washing machines. Our laundry room has no worktops (though we plan to put a small one in at some point when we change washing machines) and the space for the tumble dryer is up on the wall well over our top loading washer. Washing machines tend not to be plumbed into kitchens.

I'd not expect white goods in rentals. A cooker or hob and over yes, but the rest not. Unless they also have a dishwasher plumbed in. I didn't see many rentals with washing machines or fridges etc. In fact, hardly, if any.

Wouldn't worry too much about warranties, not really worth the paper they are written on anyway. I don't think the problem is so much that they are invalidated if you take the goods to Australia, but taking the goods back to the shop may be a tad expensive. DOH.

We live in Queensland, but I think most of Australia can cope without a tumble drier, and to be truthful, calculate carefully the cost per cubic metre of bringing any white goods here, then look at replacement costs from Harvey Norman, Good Guys etc, and basically it is a no brainier, sell them in the UK and buy new here.

You will get a good deal from any electrical retailer if you go in able to buy the washing machine, fridge, TV etc., in one hit.

Most rentals have a dishwasher.

good luck.

I really cant believe how many people have said don't bring. Everyone I have met apart from one have brought everything with them. My tumble drier is still working as is my fridge, witch is now a beer fridge, but it works perfect, my freezer works too, as do all my electrical things Tele, (My Tele was brand new) videos, DVD surround sound, play station. And I have been here 6 years. We didn't have one thing that didn't work. Yes you have to change a plug, its not rocket science, I taught my kids to that b4 they where 10. Things are more expensive here, yes look it up at Harvey Norman.Most utility rooms are a fair size. Yes my tumble drier is on top on my washing machine, but I have a front loader and always will. If I had to do it all again I would still bring it all with me. Australia isn't as cheap as what people think.

I really cant believe how many people have said don't bring. Everyone I have met apart from one have brought everything with them. My tumble drier is still working as is my fridge, witch is now a beer fridge, but it works perfect, my freezer works too, as do all my electrical things Tele, (My Tele was brand new) videos, DVD surround sound, play station. And I have been here 6 years. We didn't have one thing that didn't work. Yes you have to change a plug, its not rocket science, I taught my kids to that b4 they where 10. Things are more expensive here, yes look it up at Harvey Norman.Most utility rooms are a fair size. Yes my tumble drier is on top on my washing machine, but I have a front loader and always will. If I had to do it all again I would still bring it all with me. Australia isn't as cheap as what people think.

I think people who have a container, then it's a no brainer, bring what you can. But if people are debating the merits of bringing out a small amount, then it's probably worth buying new out here. Horses for courses based on budgets and shipping costs.