Fremantle Prison

ali

The Convicts or POM's build the prison in 1850 - it was only decommissioned as a maximum-security prison in 1991. The gallows are still there and quite a sobering sight, they do a number of tours, they also do one at night (which I believe is very good but a bit scarey) and you can also do a tunnel tour. The guides are really imformative and the tour we took lasted about an hour and a half. The kids enjoyed learning about the history of the place - well worth a visit

Ali

Guest Rachel&Stu

Yes Ali, we had a great tour at Freo prison:v_SPIN:

Very sobering place, full of history! Our tour guide was astounded when he found out that we only live about 10miles from his brother in Lincolnshire!

Well worth a visit:v_SPIN:

Cheers,

Rache x

Yep... great place.... very thought provoking....

We were there in 1996 - before the children... would love to take them there and show them the hang mans noose!!!!!...... 'This is what happens to naughty boys!'...lol!!!!!

min x:wubclub:

Hi Ali!

when mark lived out there, he worked at Freo prison at night and loved it, he said it was spooky! I really want to see it...........at night of course!!:unsure:

hays

Nigel and Alex want to do the night tour - think it will be to spooky for Tom. The fascinating thing was how it was still a prison in '91. you can search for any of your convict ancesters - we found sone of our family surnames (don't know if they're related), but one was from Lancashire and one from Waterford (where a branch of my family tree came from). One had been done for bigamy!

Ali

Archived