Help unlocking phone from GRLmobile...?

KathK

We bought our daughter a phone for her bday last week. It was in a cabinet in Dick Smith with all the Vodafone phones, so we (stupidly!) presumed it was a Vodafone. We have never heard of GRL (being only 2 months in Oz!), & thought this was something to do with phone itself. We do not want the GRL network, we are with Vodafone so want her on same network, (plus it has the prepaid packages we want, which GRL doesn't).

We need the phone unlocking, its a Nokia 2680 (& I think GRL will charge us $70, but the phone was only $99!). I have looked at various websites & even tried a couple, but they couldn't find a code, does anyone out there have any suggestions or recommendations - PLEEEEASE?!

thank you

Kath

xx

Guest wanderer

Somehow after reading what's on Whirpool, a fairly authoritive site, I do not like your chances - Vodafone GRL Mobile - Vodafone - Mobile Carriers

There are some internet sites that you pay $5-6 to for a code and procedure to do it yourself but you need to know the actual make of the phone and sounds like the GRL is some branding by Crazy Johns.

If there is another make name/model No. you can find on it, you might be bale to do something.

Thanks - but not really much help! Am annoyed we (OH!) didn't read small print on outside of packaging before ripping it open!!

Does anyone know of any reputable unlock sites in Oz? (Tried a UK one but they couldn't help). Am prepared to pay a few $ if I can avoid $70!!

Kathx

We had a problem with our daughter's phone. We bought it in the UK and to cut a long story short, didn't realise that the Virgin company here is nothing to do with Virgin in the UK. After trying to sort it for months, we eventually took it to a Sunday market not far from us and a guy there unlocked it for $35. See if you have any markets happening near to you and take the phone along. Worth a try.

T xx

We bought our daughter a phone for her bday last week. It was in a cabinet in Dick Smith with all the Vodafone phones, so we (stupidly!) presumed it was a Vodafone. We have never heard of GRL (being only 2 months in Oz!), & thought this was something to do with phone itself. We do not want the GRL network, we are with Vodafone so want her on same network, (plus it has the prepaid packages we want, which GRL doesn't).

We need the phone unlocking, its a Nokia 2680 (& I think GRL will charge us $70, but the phone was only $99!). I have looked at various websites & even tried a couple, but they couldn't find a code, does anyone out there have any suggestions or recommendations - PLEEEEASE?!

thank you

Kath

xx

Have you tried taking it back to Dick Smiths and explaining your problem? They are usually pretty good with returns, and often know which phones are unlocked.

grl is a vodaphone network

I know they use vodafones network, but have tried a vodafone sim but phone is locked to GRL & won't accept it. Have tried emailing GRL but so far no response - surprise! surprise!

IT SUCKS!!

Kath

We don't want to pay a monthly fee, as Amy won't use phone enough. We just wanted to load phone with $20 for emergency use only, with a long expiry, & GRL don't offer this tho vodafone do

Kath

Not sure over there but all payg in oz as all ive found are capped plans we had vodaphone to start you have ie $19 cap and its worth for instance 100 bucks calls and taxts but they expire aftera month with no rollover

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem when i bought a phone with GRL. here is a website that unlocks phones for under 10 AUD depending on the brand of phone. It worked for me. (:

not sure if they'll just laff at us!!

Kath

I would go back and explain the problem.

If you dont ask, you will never know the answer :biggrin:

I have found that here in Oz, they are a lot more understanding than you might think.

Archived