Renewing of passport

Guest Sereena

Guest Sereena

Hi all

Anyone had to get their UK passport renewed within a year of being in Oz? My hubby's expires in June next year so we need to think about getting a new one for him. Thought is would be simple...! We found the forms etc on the British Embassy website, but then we discover that you have to get it countersigned! This should be done by a British Citizen who's a Doctor, Justice of the Peace etc etc & has known you for at least two years...um, there's no one here in Oz like that we know - strangely enough they're all back in the UK!! Then it goes on to say that if you don't know anyone of this standing locally, then a citizen of the county you're in with a similar standing and has known you for at least two years can do it!! This poses a bit of a problem being as we have only been here 6mths! So, basically reading that we can't get his passport renewed as we have no one here to countersign it! Can we send the form back to the UK for someone there we know to do it or is there another way around this rather ridiculous situation!!? Thanks for any help you can give us!

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Sereena

Are you looking at Form C1? I have just downloaded it and I am shocked. I have never seen a more absurd document in my life. Did they devise it after getting lost in Hampton Court Maze, one wonders?

Send the whole caboodle to someone you know in the UK. That will solve the problem of the countersignature.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Sereena

Yep, form C1 - that's it! It's totally ridiculous isn't it!?

Like I mentioned in my first post I wondered about sending it all back to the UK for someone there to do for us, but then I got to thinking whether the Embassy in Canberra will LET you do that. I think we may have to call them & find out (& pay about a $1 a minute on their info line!)

I just wondered if anyone else had had the same problem & got round it another way (ie NOT having to send it all back to the UK for countersignature!)

Thanks all for your input - much appreciated.

Hi there...

Just reading thru and was thinking that maybe sending your passport back to the uk might not be such a good idea in reference that it will show that you are no longer in the country and they might hold onto it.... especially as passport fraud is such a big thing now a days and they might think it was someone trying to use a stolen passport etc.....l did read in a long ago post somewhere in the many channels of this wonderful forum that a lady contacted the passport at expense to be told that she could use someone of standing like a teacher or someone of standing in the community.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Sereena

It is not necessary to send the existing passport to the UK. Somebody who has known OH for long enough does not need his passport in order to countersign his photo or his application.

I had to do the same drill myself four years ago. I lost my British passport and the only copy of my Malaysian Birth Certificate. Not so much "lost" as "stupidly binned" to be exact. I put them both in a brown envelope to protect them, put them in a drawer with a load of other stuff in this "safe keeping drawer", didn't check properly when I decided on Junk Clearance one day and you can guess the rest.....

Ring up Mamma in Australia. Heeeelllppp! How do I get another Birth Cert off the Malays? I've phoned the High Commission in London but I am not getting far! Apparently I have to send the form to Petaling Jaya???? They have at least e-mailed the form - which is in Malay but I can more or less understand it.

Mum said calmly, "Nonsense. Your birth is registered in the UK as well as in Malaysia. Ring up the General Register Office and ask to speak with the Overseas Births section. They will send a copy of the British version. You don't need the Malaysian one as well." (She turned out to be right. I had not known that there was a British version of the thing until then.)

I then sent the form and the photos to a solicitor mate of mine in London because I've known him for longer than I've known any other solicitor - eg 25 years at the time (which he helpfully wrote on the form.) I didn't have a passport to send him and no note of the number of the missing one either.

Got the form & pix back from my mate, got the British Birth Cert in the meantime and went to the local Post Office asking suspiciously, "Is this enough? Are you SURE?" The postmaster beamed and said it would be fine. He was right. My new passport arrived a week later.

Best wishes

Gill

Well, yes in an ideal world we would, but being as we are already in Oz & have been for 6mths, that could prove a little tricky!!

Sorry hadn't realised.

Guest Sereena

No worries! I was just hoping that someone had had the same problem when already IN oz & didn't know anyone to countersign your form...it seems totally ridiculous that we have to send the forms all the way back to the UK in the vain hope that we can get our Doctor or someone to sign them for us (with the help of my Mum!!) It's not as though he's never HAD a passport before for goodness sake!!

Guest notmanfamily

Hi,

Ignore me if it isnt relevant as we are still in Britain, but I have just had hubbies passport renewed and the photos didnt need countersigned as you can recognise him from his previous passport pic, that you send back with your application and photos and of course the extortionate fee:wideyedxmas:!

notmanfamily

• 1 month later...
Guest sarahfunnyface

Hi Serena,

I'm about to go through this process now - how did you get round the not knowing anybody worthy of signing the photo issue?

I have found no where with any useful information!

Thanks!

Guest Sereena

In the end my husband had to call the British Embassy in Canberra (at a flat fee of nearly $10! - absolutely disgraceful!) to find out what we could do, and basically there is no alternative. Apparently we have to find someone of relavant 'standing' in the community here in Oz to do the countersignature. When he told them we'd only been here 8mths & hadn't known anyone like that for very long (if at all - we've still got to figure out who we can get to do it!) they basically said it HAS to be someone off the list of relevant standing & if we haven't known them for the required two years then we have to put a covering letter together explaining the situation! Sending the forms back to the UK apparently is NOT a legal option as we are not there. I have to admit, this is the most ridiculous set of rules I've ever heard of - what are they going to do - not give my husband a passport?? We can't get an Oz one yet, so we have to have a passport of somekind! And as for being charged $10 for a 3min call to the embassy I think that says it all! So much for the British Embassy being there to look out for us Brits abroad - they're just there to fleece the living daylights out of us as usual! Sorry for the rant, but it really is a totally stupid situation! :arghh:

Guest sarahfunnyface

thanks for the update, I think we all owe your husband a beer using the money we don't have to spend on the phone! :)

• 2 months later...
Guest prettyinpink

My hubby has just renewed, thankfully we knew someone over here who could sign.

The big problem we had was the photos. No handy booths like in the UK. The post office do take photos for passports but they take them to Australian passport standard, which isn't the same as UK. The nice lady at the post office told us she's be happy to take them but to be aware that they may come back as some have done in the past.

In the end we found someone who took photos for UK passports in Perth City. If anyone needs the details I'll be happy to pm them.

Guest proud2beaussie
i have to renew mine and two kids before next year, my dilemma is what would happen to our visa in our old passport??

Lisax

Your old passport will be returned to you so you would just carry both the old and new ones with you when travelling.

That will depend slightly on the class of visa you have.

For those of us with any form of permanent residency, they want you to get a "Resident Return Visa (Subclass 155)".

More paperwork and more money, alas.

Bob

Guest bruce&jackie

Hi Bob,

We have a 136 PR visa validated last year, have renewed hubby and son passports whilst still in UK hoping to move over in September, can i not just take both old passport with visa inside and new passport.

Many thanks Jackie x

Guest 5immo

i'm wondering if i can get the forms from the UK posted out to me, fill them in and post back and get my home to get me a new passport. £70 there or $400 here hmmmmmm. Mine runs out in 2 months dunno what to do, maybe hold on for 2 years and get an Aussie one when i become a ciizen :arghh:

Guest trevmayoz

Hi,

I have just got my passport renewed in Malaysia and just got my boss to sign (he is a UK citizen). I haven't know him for 2 years but how are they ever going to know that.

From memory I thought you can get a non-British commissioner of oaths, public notary etc to sign it and just pay a small fee for them to do it?

Guest itskaren
Hi all

Anyone had to get their UK passport renewed within a year of being in Oz? My hubby's expires in June next year so we need to think about getting a new one for him. Thought is would be simple...! We found the forms etc on the British Embassy website, but then we discover that you have to get it countersigned! This should be done by a British Citizen who's a Doctor, Justice of the Peace etc etc & has known you for at least two years...um, there's no one here in Oz like that we know - strangely enough they're all back in the UK!! Then it goes on to say that if you don't know anyone of this standing locally, then a citizen of the county you're in with a similar standing and has known you for at least two years can do it!! This poses a bit of a problem being as we have only been here 6mths! So, basically reading that we can't get his passport renewed as we have no one here to countersign it! Can we send the form back to the UK for someone there we know to do it or is there another way around this rather ridiculous situation!!? Thanks for any help you can give us!

HI, I had mine done last year in Australia. I filled out the form and sent it to our solicitor in the UK that verified us etc. As he sold our house he did not charge anything for this. This was the only thing we could do as we did not know anyone in AustraliA!

Archived