Renewing of passport

Guest Sereena

Hi Bob,

We have a 136 PR visa validated last year, have renewed hubby and son passports whilst still in UK hoping to move over in September, can i not just take both old passport with visa inside and new passport.

Many thanks Jackie x

Hi, sorry for the late reply but I wanted to double check my facts. My information about the resident return visa came from a call to the immi.gov helpline but enough people were sure about the "show the old passport with the visa" that I thought I should double check. Another phone call clarified the situation.

Yes, you'll be okay showing your old passport with the visa alongside the new one, providing your visa is still valid. However, your visa has an expiry date and, after that, it's the Resident Return Visa that will be needed.

In my case, the validity of my visa expires during the course of a planned trip so THAT'S why I was told I needed the new paperwork and the other option wasn't mentioned to me on the phone.

Hope this helps/clarifies things.

Bob

Guest bruce&jackie

Thanks Bob I was getting a little worried there.

Our visa is still valid so will just have to carry two passports.

Thanks again Jackie x

Good question.

I'm pretty sure that the situation will be that, since there are now international agreements on what is acceptable for machine-readable "biometric" passports, anything that is considered acceptable for an Australian passport would also work for a UK one.

Can anyone confirm this?

Bob

• 4 months later...

I'm going to pull this old thread back up because I've just gone through the passport renewal process and have a bit of new info.

First off, the photos taken at the Australian post office are entirely acceptable for British Passports. Indeed, under the new rules you have to take your application and photos to a main Australia post office for them to check before you submit them to the British High Commission in Canberra.

Second, regarding your Visa in the old passport, the immigration people confirmed to me that as far as THEY are concerned, showing the old and new passport together is fine. However, they then came up with a rather big "BUT". It seems that some airlines and/or immigration officials in other countries have caused problems and even denied boarding to flights because of this. However, immi.gov offer another solution. If you can get into one of their main offices, the can "re-present your evidence" which is civil servant speak for putting a new copy of your visa in the new passport. The expiry date remains the same and after that you need a resident return or some other form of renewal.

I had this done and, including the initial queuing, the process took about half an hour and (on my PR spouse visa at least) was free.

Hope this helps somebody.

Bob

Archived