Arrested please help

Guest riklink

Guest riklink

I have just been arrested after being mixed up in a drugs bust. Hopefully it will come to nothing cos i dont use or take drugs but am so worried cos i am just about to put in for PR after two and a half years in Australia. Can you tell me if i get a record will this be the end of my residency dreams?

I have just been arrested after being mixed up in a drugs bust. Hopefully it will come to nothing cos i dont use or take drugs but am so worried cos i am just about to put in for PR after two and a half years in Australia. Can you tell me if i get a record will this be the end of my residency dreams?

Sorry cannot help try and speak to the proffessionals, any agency should know and do not think there is any charge for advise.

Hope it works out and try and mix with some new people not worth loosing a dream over.

Good luck.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello riklink

The Character requirement is described here:

Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 79. The Character Requirement

Much will depend on whether or not the police try to implicate you in the alleged crime, which substances were involved and how much thereof, whether the police accept that you are totally innocent of anything except being in the wrong place at the wrong time and so forth, I reckon.

My advice would be to consult a good local solicitor without delay to find out what the potential rap would be if push comes to shove, and also instruct him/her that you might need either a spirited defence or some darned good mitigation.

Hopefully though, as you say, it will come to nothing.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest riklink

Thank you for the help gollywobbler. Havent yet got the fact sheet from the police but from the court appearence it looks like they are trying to pin it on me. No idea how any of this stuff works as to my word over theres. No idea what it was but weighed it in front of me and it was 0.6! Like i say i dont know if thats good or bad. Got myself a lawyer and just crossing my fingers. Can't believe this is happening to me!!!

Guest moonraker1961

Are these people for real or what?I guess all I can say is if you have absolutely nothing to do with it then you have nothing to worry about right?

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi riklink

Try not to stress too much (easy to say, I know.)

The police do often make the most elementary mistakes which persuade the CPS that there is no point in trying to prosecute.

I know a particularly brainy ex Met cop. Real Officer Material, as they say.... Apparently he was called to an incident in a public park in London. The allegation was that Mr Smith's dog had bitten Mrs Jones. I saw the pix. Mrs Jones (assuming that she owned the leg in the pix) had indeed been bitten by the looks of things.

Sherlock was tearing his hair out. I wondered why. Apparently he had forgotten to get the doctor to confirm that a human had not bitten the woman, and he had failed to get a police vet to advise on the size and type of non-human beast that could have inflicted such a bite. Seemingly there were no independent witnesses to say that they had seen this particular dog inflict the alleged bite, so that was that. The CPS said that they would be unable to nick Mr Smith.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest riklink

It happened last week in Sydney. And yes you'd like to think it will be fine but believe me i have never been in a situation like this. The police were horrible trying to make me say it was mine. I don't even go out let along take drugs yet on my court appearence they have written that they were mine! I dont know if thats how they operate or not but it very much feels like guilty and now i've got to prove my innocence!

Guest gothicqueen
It happened last week in Sydney. And yes you'd like to think it will be fine but believe me i have never been in a situation like this. The police were horrible trying to make me say it was mine. I don't even go out let along take drugs yet on my court appearence they have written that they were mine! I dont know if thats how they operate or not but it very much feels like guilty and now i've got to prove my innocence!

Ok, so were they found in your possesion? or were you with someone who they were found on? when you went to court did they say what the drug was? what charges exactly are you facing? is it possesion or possesion with intent to supply?

sorry for all the questions I just need to understand the full story thats all!

Guest riklink

I'm facing possession and the drugs were found on at my feet. Like i say i have no idea how any of this works all they kept on saying was there yours just admit it and i sayed no there not and thats it. its for the courts to sort out!

Guest gothicqueen

I cant see them making that stick then if they were just found at your feet, seems a little harsh. Also if they havent charged you with a possesion of a specific drug how can they be sure its not just cornflour? Im pretty sure in the UK you have to be charged with possesion of a class a, b or whatever drug, not just a possesion of anyold thing that may resemble a drug.

I work in probation in the Uk and one of my colleagues has just moved over to Perth, doing the same, Ill try and email her tommorow and see if I can find out anything re how they charge you.

Guest charliebrown

you could get an independent hair test - all drug use shows up in your hair (unless you have very short hair) for the life of that hair strand. Also, you could get an independent sweep of your possessions. If you regularly handled drugs, traces would show up all over your home and clothes, and no matter of cleaning would get the traces off either.

I think the police would find it really hard to pin anything on you if they didn't have any more evidence than a dropped bag, especially if you can demonstrate you are "clean"

good luck..

Guest Curlysoo

What an absolute nightmare for you!!! One thing I would say is no matter how much pressure is put on you do NOT agree to anything that isnt true, for example if they say they will let you off with a caution if you admit to ....... DONT!!!

Please let us know how things go, Gollys advice sounds spot on!!

Guest earlswood
I'm facing possession and the drugs were found on at my feet. Like i say i have no idea how any of this works all they kept on saying was there yours just admit it and i sayed no there not and thats it. its for the courts to sort out!

Are you for real:no: if the drugs were just found at your feet and do not have your prints on how can they prove anything....just tell them ti **** off..they have nothing on you.

Guest riklink
I cant see them making that stick then if they were just found at your feet, seems a little harsh. Also if they havent charged you with a possesion of a specific drug how can they be sure its not just cornflour? Im pretty sure in the UK you have to be charged with possesion of a class a, b or whatever drug, not just a possesion of anyold thing that may resemble a drug.

I work in probation in the Uk and one of my colleagues has just moved over to Perth, doing the same, Ill try and email her tommorow and see if I can find out anything re how they charge you.

Thank you that would be great. it says on my court appearence that i possessed a prohibited drug which is wrong cos it was on the floor. as to what it was i guess they will go and find that out.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi again Ricklink

I'm facing possession and the drugs were found on at my feet.

What happened, please, EXACTLY?

Was there a packet of drugs at your feet?

Where were you at the time? What sort of place, how many other people, what were you doing at the time and what was anyone else doing?

Have they told you which drug it is said to be? If so, which one because the harder the drug, the stiffer the potential rap.

Have you any idea who the drugs belonged to?

If you can give me some information I can look it all up for you on AustLii but to do that, facts and a coherent description of what happened are needed, please.

Best wishes

Gill

what a crap situation to be in....from my experience with the police here...they a quite corrupt. Not all, there are some good ones but there are always the bad cherries. All my experience has been in Qld so one can hope.

Guest gothicqueen
Thank you that would be great. it says on my court appearence that i possessed a prohibited drug which is wrong cos it was on the floor. as to what it was i guess they will go and find that out.

This is the bit I dont understand...... How can they charge you without knowing what it is?

A packet of powder could be anything, talc, cornflour, baking soda etc

Without doing a test to find out what it is I wouldnt think they could charge you, are you telling us everything here? PM me if you dont want it on the boards, as Golly says all the facts are needed, Im off to work now so will email my friend in perth when I get there, but if you have any more details let me know so i can give her the full story!

Guest moonraker1961

This thread is getting weirder by the minute.I am starting to think someone is having a laugh.It just does'nt add up?If it is legitamate then I am sorry,but if you are pulling our leg,then go find some other forum to have a laugh on please!By the way when you were arrested,did you ask to see a solicitor?hhmmmm !!!!

Guest riklink

i wish it was a joke, but its proper nightmare! Anyway thanks to all for your help. Will keep you posted on progress

You arenot allowed in if you have are convicted of possession dont know about if you are in the country but s*** sticks wherever you are

Malx

Archived