My honest opinions.

Guest earlswood

Guest earlswood

DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU DO NOT LIKE NEGATIVE POSTS.

I have been attacked from certain members about being to negative on these forums but believe you should hear the things that are going well with some people and also the other side of the coin where things are not going so well

This is coming from a single bloke and I cannot speak for families.

Sorry if this sounds very negative but it is my experience of Australia.

I have been here over a year and have struggled to stay and will probably go home if I cannot make it work in Brisbane later in the year.

Work for a sparkey is tough IMO I earn half as much as I did in the UK and have to work 6 days a week to earn enough to save a small amount after my bills, and after my current contract runs out I will try Brisbane as I have heard there is more work for my trade.

I find Perth to hot for me 44c + some days and the flies drive me mad, it is not much fun for me sitting on a beach sitting in the shade with factor 40+ on, and when it rains it can go on for weeks.

The cost of living is high IMO and crime and anti-social behaviour is just as bad as in the UK in certain suburbs, some of the graffiti is very intresting.

I am not enjoying it and I am sorry if it sounds negative but must get it off my chest.

Good luck to anyone coming over but belive you should read the good as well as the bad, wish I had.

i think youll find the ''attacks'' are for your arrogance not the negativity!!! in all fairness i must say your post is an interesting read though and will be useful to folks still in the uk,,makes one hell of a difference the way something is written ,heh?

Cal x

Guest Sheerluck

Earlswood,

I don't think anyone will have a bad thing to say about what you've written above. You have written your opinion in a fair and objective way.

It doesn't hurt at all to tell people that Oz is not a land of milk and honey with a life on the beach every day, and bikini wearing princesses to mop your fevered brow. You do still have to work, and in your case you have to work harder for less.

For some people it will work, for others it won't.

Dave

Earlswood,

The phrase dog......bone comes to mind when I read your posts.

Everyone is entitled to their views but you do go on and on. I agree though that you need to let people know that life is not all what it is cracked up to be but in saying that, you are talking about YOUR life.

I am sorry that things are not working out for you but put this down to experience. You have had the opportunity to move to another country and try out your skills..........it hasn't worked....FOR YOU.

There are many people who would like to be in your position ie in Oz just to have a taste of what life is like.

I am certainly not moving over with rose coloured specs on. If it doesn't work.....it doesn't work !

Life is too short.

Just move on to the next adventure in your life be it Brissy or a return to the UK.

I really hope things work out for you..............

Gill

Guest fatpom

I must have missed some of your posts? :smile:

It may help to know that there's very broadly two schools who post on here. What I call the rose coloured specs brigade who only want to see warm and fuzzy postings which have their purpose just as much as those (fewer) of us who say Aus is a good place to be but its not paved with gold... it has its challenges and these are some of them you that you might encounter. :smile:

What I'm saying is its necessary to have positive and supportive postings but its not good to have one perspective too dominant over the other either.

The two schools will never enjoy an entire meeting of minds. There is an inevitable gender alignment with these two schools but not entirely also I hasten to add. :smile:

I say carry on posting as you see it. Those who don't like or agree can ignore it. There's bound to be a substantial difference between the perceptions of say yourself a single person and a family centric person. Your perceptions are just as valid even though not relevant to all the readers due to differing lifestyles.

Guest JoanneHattersley
What I'm saying is its necessary to have positive and supportive postings but its not good to have one perspective too dominant over the other either.

I say carry on posting as you see it. Those who don't like or agree can ignore it. There's bound to be a substantial difference between the perceptions of say yourself a single person and a family centric person. Your perceptions are just as valid even though not relevant to all the readers due to differing lifestyles.

Well said! :yes:

Guest fatpom
Well said! :yes:

:biglaugh:

Well Jo? If I'm still making sense off six or maybe seven glasses of red I'm doing alright?

:biglaugh:

I think the problem is that for me personally life here isn`t black & white - it`s grey - some stuff I love about Perth, other stuff annoys me - just like in the UK really. Same ***t, shinier bucket, some don`t want to hear negativity, others find the day to day grind here makes it hard to see any positives. Until you move here you don`t know what you are getting in to - investigating through the internet and even coming over for a reccie are all good preperations but until you are in the day to day routine you do not know what life is going to chuck at you.

I like it here in Perth but it`s still bloody hard some days, yes I think the cost of living is going up, work in some areas is getting harder to come by and certainly Perth is very much a "It`s not what you know , but who you know" type of place.

Earlswood, you can only post as you know it from your own experience, as can we all, it`s up to the people who read those posts to take what they can or indeed want from it. I hope you get sorted soon - I did try pm`ing you on another thread about a contact.

Guest wardy

I dont mind the negative posts its all good reading.

Just sometimes I think people are so worked up over things when things arent working out that they tend to portray a negativity that is a little scewed and tell us that everything is bad for everyone.

When this is clearly not the case.

I am not going over with rose tinted glasses I know how bad thingscan be my family are expats to the middle east now Spain and Isee it first hand.

Good luck to everyone in the pursuit of happiness

Guest earlswood

Thanks for the replys, I think the honest but negative posts does way it out somewhat for the positive posts out there and will make it easier for people moving over, look, Oz is a massive Country and I will try different states to try and make it work, but I really am strggling to to to grips with it and do feel depressed which does come over in my posts, have a lovely ossie girl who agrees Perth is boring and is coming with me to Brizzie, so hope I can post positive when I get there.

Hi earlswood

I agree with Cal this is not about your negative posts its about your arrogance.

I agree that not everything is going to be FANTASTIC all the time (and no one is expecting it to be so)!! Sometimes its hard to express ourselves in a certain way and not to be taken the wrong way especiaally in a forum.

However the arrogance and personal comments we can all do without!!

I wish you luck in Brissie. It sounds as tho you could do with some company so lets hope life in brissie is gonna be all that you are hoping!!

Deb xx

Guest roantreemj

I wouldn't panic about work on the Gold Coast.

They simply cannot employ enough trades-people here to do all the ever-increasing work. A a result, many trades-people in the housing industry are amongst the highest paid in the country.

The Gold Coast has around 30 people a day moving here to live. i think that speaks for itself.

Good luck out here!

:spinny: Found this on another forum - think it was by someone in the name of yellow ghecko..........................

Had an idea you were posting forums whilst suffering bouts of depression. I suppose if life is a real struggle then it dont matter if the sun is shining..........

Hopefully your location change will change things for you and you will feel more positive about life.

We do appreciate the negatives about areas being posted along with the positives but the one liners do get my heckles up. :twitcy:

Best of luck to you - keep us posted .............................. smile and the world smiles with you!!!! or at least us on PIO will.:v_SPIN:

Guest Lui A xxx

Hi earlswood,

I just have got to say that I have purposely looked for your posts because you have made me chuckle. Well done you for having an opinion. What I love the most is that if you have upset someone with your comments.....is it really that big a deal??? i mean seriosly, if people generally get soooooo annoyed at such little, then they will need to 'get over it'. These posts are entertaining and if someone does not like something, ....walk away.....but the post of all posts then comes from the replies of 'the offended' .... and the 'good innocent offended' reply HOW???? ... with true style and grace...... they ATTACK..... and these 'innocent offended people'........become offensive themselves...... PRICELESS!!!!! I LOVE IT !!!!! Keep up the good work!!!! lol..... Does this make me a sadist????.......ooooh I do hope so.

xxx

Guest Gollywobbler
Thanks for the replys, I think the honest but negative posts does way it out somewhat for the positive posts out there and will make it easier for people moving over, look, Oz is a massive Country and I will try different states to try and make it work, but I really am strggling to to to grips with it and do feel depressed which does come over in my posts, have a lovely ossie girl who agrees Perth is boring and is coming with me to Brizzie, so hope I can post positive when I get there.

Very well said, Earlswood. At last you have stopped trying to project your own despondency about Perth (or maybe about Australia in general) on to others who have yet to try life out there.

Perth works like a charm for my sister, brother in law and elderly mother because of my two young nephews, because of the reasonably temperate climate (by Ozzie standards) and because it is my brother-in-law's childhood home.

It would not work for me precisely because I have no children, do not cope terribly well in a hot climate and I have no other ties to Perth apart from my family. When I was young enough to consider migrating to Oz in the 1980s, I decided against Perth. At the time I was doing massive, cutting edge, high profile commercial property deals for one of the UK's most eminent firms of solicitors in the City of London. Perth simply could not have offered me work of comparable quality, complexity and value. To get that, I would have needed to settle in Sydney. It seemed daft to me to move halfway round the world only to settle as far from my sister as I possibly could, and back then it was actually cheaper to buy a return air-ticket from London to Perth than to buy one from Sydney to Perth. I love Sydney - always have. I love its vibrance and the sheer beauty of its Harbour. But even Sydney did not tick as many of my own boxes as the City of London - and my lifestyle in the UK - did at the time, so I decided to stay in the UK.

Perth has never really ticked any of my own boxes but what the hell because nobody has ever tried to force me to move there. Did anybody force you to go and try the place out or was that your own choice?

Right. You make the bed. You lie in it. It is no use waiting for 20 years and then thinking, "What if" when it is too late to do anything about it should an earlier decision be regretted. Regret is the most useless emotion that I know of because of the impossibility or reversing time. My own choices at the time were made by me alone. It is completely pointless to hold an inquest into them now. So I don't bother to try to do so and I do not go in for "heart on sleeve" introspection about it. There is no point in that either. If yu don't like somewhere, move to another place. No amount of whingeing about the place where I am will alter the place where I am. If I am not happy with it, I have a choice to try somewhere else that I might prefer. If I don't like that either - well, I never claimed to be easy to please! But it is nobody's doing except my own.

I don't know about Brisbane - I've never been there. I suspect from what you have told us that you would probably like Sydney for the same reasons that I do. There is plenty there that is not family-centric; much more than in Perth, I suspect.

But give Brissy a whirl. If you don't like Brissy either then I would urge you to at least give Sydney a chance before you try to decide whether to quit Australia or not.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest GoodersGang
Hi earlswood

I agree with Cal this is not about your negative posts its about your arrogance.

I agree that not everything is going to be FANTASTIC all the time (and no one is expecting it to be so)!! Sometimes its hard to express ourselves in a certain way and not to be taken the wrong way especiaally in a forum.

However the arrogance and personal comments we can all do without!!

I wish you luck in Brissie. It sounds as tho you could do with some company so lets hope life in brissie is gonna be all that you are hoping!!

Deb xx

Bit of a contradiction here I think!!

:unsure:

Guest earlswood
I wouldn't panic about work on the Gold Coast.

They simply cannot employ enough trades-people here to do all the ever-increasing work. A a result, many trades-people in the housing industry are amongst the highest paid in the country.

The Gold Coast has around 30 people a day moving here to live. i think that speaks for itself.

Good luck out here!

:spinny: Found this on another forum - think it was by someone in the name of yellow ghecko..........................

Had an idea you were posting forums whilst suffering bouts of depression. I suppose if life is a real struggle then it dont matter if the sun is shining..........

Hopefully your location change will change things for you and you will feel more positive about life.

We do appreciate the negatives about areas being posted along with the positives but the one liners do get my heckles up. :twitcy:

Best of luck to you - keep us posted .............................. smile and the world smiles with you!!!! or at least us on PIO will.:v_SPIN:

I will print your post off and take it to the building site on Monday and give to the bricklayers who are struggling for work....they need a good laugh as most of them do not find the present situation work-wise very funny.

Guest earlswood
Hi earlswood,

I just have got to say that I have purposely looked for your posts because you have made me chuckle. Well done you for having an opinion. What I love the most is that if you have upset someone with your comments.....is it really that big a deal??? i mean seriosly, if people generally get soooooo annoyed at such little, then they will need to 'get over it'. These posts are entertaining and if someone does not like something, ....walk away.....but the post of all posts then comes from the replies of 'the offended' .... and the 'good innocent offended' reply HOW???? ... with true style and grace...... they ATTACK..... and these 'innocent offended people'........become offensive themselves...... PRICELESS!!!!! I LOVE IT !!!!! Keep up the good work!!!! lol..... Does this make me a sadist????.......ooooh I do hope so.

xxx

Thanks lui, one un- burnt sausage at the side of the barbie for you when you get over here, you are a street-wise lass.

Guest Gollywobbler

Earlswood

Has it occurred to you that when there are plenty of brickies in Perth who clearly are content with their own jobs and lives, part of the reason for your own despondency might be because you have managed to get yourself mixed up with a right bunch of Cheerful Charlies by way of trowels?

It does not matter in the slightest what the field of endeavour happens to be, because the consumer's attitude tends not to vary. The consumer may be an employer, client, customer, patient or parishioner. When they are faced with a choice about which candidate to select for whatever the role is, they invariably select the one with charm, a friendly personality and a positive attitude towards whatever the problem happens to be.

A friend of mine sells hideously expensive (and frequently hideous to the point of utter vulgarity) antiques. I once asked her, "Margot, how do you manage to offload these monstrosities on to people whom seem to have more money than sense?"

She said, "Simple. You make friends with the person concerned." I went around in a state of near-shock for about six months after this. It is the siingle most cynical statement I have ever heard in my life - yet here was my best friend and most trusted confidante stating it as if night followed day.

At the time, I was a newly-qualified solicitor, six years younger than Margot and my experience of anything outside of an ivory tower was non-existent. It seemed to me that Margot must be the most unethical creature on the entire planet. For all that I knew, our clients could have travelled to our own office door on a magic carpet of some kind.

However, once I had spent enough years persuading potential clients to instruct me instead of the bloke in a rival concern down the road, I realised that Margot had been absolutely and 100% right. I simply hadn't analysed my own performance on the business-finding front and probably needed the extra years of experience of hauling clients in as a result of deliberate attempt in order to be able to work the whole thing out for myself.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest earlswood
Earlswood

Has it occurred to you that when there are plenty of brickies in Perth who clearly are content with their own jobs and lives, part of the reason for your own despondency might be because you have managed to get yourself mixed up with a right bunch of Cheerful Charlies by way of trowels?

It does not matter in the slightest what the field of endeavour happens to be, because the consumer's attitude tends not to vary. The consumer may be an employer, client, customer, patient or parishioner. When they are faced with a choice about which candidate to select for whatever the role is, they invariably select the one with charm, a friendly personality and a positive attitude towards whatever the problem happens to be.

A friend of mine sells hideously expensive (and frequently hideous to the point of utter vulgarity) antiques. I once asked her, "Margot, how do you manage to offload these monstrosities on to people whom seem to have more money than sense?"

She said, "Simple. You make friends with the person concerned." I went around in a state of near-shock for about six months after this. It is the siingle most cynical statement I have ever heard in my life - yet here was my best friend and most trusted confidante stating it as if night followed day.

At the time, I ws a newly-qualified solicitor, six years younger than Margot and my experience of anything outside of an ivory tower was non-existent. It seemed to me that Margot must be the most unethical creature on the entire planet. For all that I knew, our clients could have travelled to our own office door on a magic carpet of some kind.

However, once I had spent enough years persuading potential clients to instruct me instead of the bloke in a rival concern down the road, I realised that Margot had been absolutely and 100% right. I simply hadn't analysed my own performance on the business-finding front and probably needed the extra years of experience of hauling clients in as a result of deliberate attempt in order to be able to work the whole thing out for myself.

Best wishes

Gill

Gollywobbler, that is a great post.....if only I was intelligent enough to understand it:goofy:

Guest Gollywobbler
Gollywobbler, that is a great post.....if only I was intelligent enough to understand it:goofy:

Becoming a solicitor does not require intelligence, chum. All that it needs is the memory of an elephant and the linguistic abilities of a parrot. Get those and you will pass the exams.

Practicing law requires commonsense, stamina (mental & physical) and a good sense of humour. Those will solve 99.9% of legal problems.

Or to quote an elderly colleague of mine, "You need Availability, Affability and Ability - in that order."

It comes to the same thing, I suspect.

Best wishes

Gill

Gill, you're comment about the people you're working with could very well be right - when I moved here I worked for 6 months on the ward - eveyone hated it, they disliked the management and the way things were run - what did they do about it - nothing but moan and moan. I realised I had to leave when I got home feeling really tearful - hubby thought there'd been a violent incident with a patient when in fact it was the sheer negativity of the staff. After 4 months I'd applied for another job and started it 2 months later - the ward staff are still moaning and I'm well out of it.

Ali

i think wherever in the world you go you will find people moaning about their job!! travel 5 mins up the road and them guys there may be buzzing about their job,Good jobs dont land in your lap you have to go and get them ,and then proove yourself, and make yourself indispensible,you should then find things are very different,i know we did.

Cal x

Guest koala12

I have just read through all the threads on this and it occurs to me, and not for the first time, that when someone is feeling particularly down about either work or the place they are living it tends to bring out the worst negativity in them. We all have to remember that whatever we write on here is an opinion and they are very personal....what area works for one won't necessarily for another as it obviously depends on your expectations, job and family situation. The journey to Oz is a long (literally!) and somewhat difficult one and I think that some people when they get here expect all their problems will fade away and they will be living in Utopia. This is NOT the case, you still have to work, pay the bills, do the mundane stuff...BUT IMO (and it is just my opinion!) the quality of life is so much better and the good things far outweigh the bad. My OH is working longer hours than he ever did in the UK but he loves it and I just find that our leisure time is so much more fun as there is always something to do and in all the 18 months I have been here I have never once felt bored - sometimes there is so much you want to pack into a weekend and so little time!

The majority of us on PiO accept that we have to take the good with the bad and I think the general consensus would be that there is more in Oz's favour than not? I don't think I would ever want to go back to the UK and live again - Oz is my home now....

Guest The Baggo's

Beg to differ with roantreeej - not sure what trade he / she is ?? but all the tradies we know (chippie, sparkie, brickie, plasterer) will say rates of pay are rubbish (some are on $22 - $25 ph - you get $20 in Wollies!) Because of the influx of people moving to GC - interstate as well as worldwide - there is only so much work to go around! Anyway, good luck earlswood

Archived