year 10, 12 equivalent

Guest jenny79

Guest jenny79

Hi all!

I'm new to this forum, and i don't know whether i'm posting in the right section.:unsure:

Does anyone know what the equivalent of (australian) year 10 and year 12 are when compared to european standards?

I live in Malta, so if anyone can give me a rough idea of how to compare them to the Maltese system, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jenny

Guest jenny79

Ah i see... so am i understanding correctly, if i say that year 10 would be the final year of secondary school in Oz? is that the last year of compulsory schooling?

Am asking coz i looked at TAFE courses and some of them stated year 10 or equivalent, and some stated year 12 or equivalent....

So i don't know where i stand.

thanks once again,

jenny

Guest jenny79

Thanks for the info... the thing is this... i'm enquiring on behalf of a friend of mine (32 years of age this april)... he'd like to take a trade course in oz, and as i said i checked tafe's site, but that's what they ask for. some year 10, others year 12.

i was wondering whether there's a course my friend could take to make sure he covers those two years.

Hi Jenny

Year 7 is the first year of high school here in oz, from what i have seen so far the education at this age seems to be behind that of the uk - they can leave high school here in oz at the end of year 10 or stay on for years 11 & 12

Guest tinbasher

Hi

As far I can gather to get into Uni in SA you need one of the following year 12 qualifications:

South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE)

• Northern Territory Certificate of Education (NTCE)

• ACT Year 12 Certificate

• New South Wales Higher School Certificate (HSC)

• Queensland Senior Certificate

• Tasmanian Certificate of Education (TCE)

• Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE)

• Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE)

• International Baccalaureate (IB) in a school in Australia

Thought this would give you a bit of an idea of what is available aroung the country therefore you can do a web-search depending on the area that you are interested in.

Alli

If your friend does not have the school qualifications he/she needs for the TAFE course they want to do, they can complete school years 11 & 12 at TAFE before doing the course. I would question the poster who said that year 10 students in Australia are " behind" their English counterparts. Do not believe this to be the case in NSW!

Guest jenny79
If your friend does not have the school qualifications he/she needs for the TAFE course they want to do, they can complete school years 11 & 12 at TAFE before doing the course. I would question the poster who said that year 10 students in Australia are " behind" their English counterparts. Do not believe this to be the case in NSW!

Ellie, but is this possible to do? My friend is turning 32 in April. :frown: So i'm wondering whether he could take a course that would put his mind at rest that he has the years 11 & 12 equivalent...

Meanwhile, thanks to everyone for shedding light on this problem.

Jenny

Guest tinbasher

Year 12 exams are equivalent to A-levels in the UK. Don't know if that is what you are after.

Regards

Alli

Ellie, but is this possible to do? My friend is turning 32 in April. :frown: So i'm wondering whether he could take a course that would put his mind at rest that he has the years 11 & 12 equivalent...

Yes, it is possible. There are plenty of mature aged students attending both TAFE and Uni.

One of my sons recently decided to upgrade his qualifications and is attending TAFE now. He is 42years old. All the best, Ellie

Guest jenny79

Yes, it is possible. There are plenty of mature aged students attending both TAFE and Uni.

One of my sons recently decided to upgrade his qualifications and is attending TAFE now. He is 42years old. All the best, Ellie

Ellie, what i meant is... is it possible for a 32-year-old to take the year 11/12 equivalent at TAFE, as an international mature student?

If yes, do you have any idea which course it is? (I know i'm asking much, but have been through TAFE NSW website for international students over and over again, but i can't find it)...

Thanks for your help, it's so much appreciated.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

My son is 17, turned 17 in January, he had finished his GCSE'S in England Year 5 and went straight to Tafe here, he didn't want to go to school here but sometimes I think he should have to meet people his age, as he is meeting older kids I suppose good in some ways we will see how he gets on he is doing Real Estate, where will you be going to in Oz Frances

Guest jenny79
Hi Jenny,

My son is 17, turned 17 in January, he had finished his GCSE'S in England Year 5 and went straight to Tafe here, he didn't want to go to school here but sometimes I think he should have to meet people his age, as he is meeting older kids I suppose good in some ways we will see how he gets on he is doing Real Estate, where will you be going to in Oz Frances

Francis thanks!

How many o'levels does he have? I'll be going to NSW or QLD (more nsw though, with my kind of work), that's why am looking for courses over there for my friend.

Ellie, thanks as well. PR visa isn't possible at all. He doesn't have the necessary qualifications, nor the work experience. He grew up in loads of family problems, and that affected his schooling. Now he'd like to get back on track.

Jenny

• 1 year later...
Hi Jenny,

I was just wondering, did your son do a course straight away when he came to tafe, or he had to do year 12 or something? Because I am exactly like him, the same age too, but I did my IGCSE's in Botswana, Africa. And I can't get to university because I need 12 years of study, and I only have 11 years. So that's a bit unfortunate.

Thanks.

Archived