We Were On A Tram In Melbourne And.......

SAVTA

all of a sudden my mobile rang...............'Hello - your CO is ready to issue your CP visas - where are you going offshore as we need a copy of your itinerary to send to DIMA':swoon:

The passengers must have thought I was a lunatic :twitcy:jumping up and down in my seat and explaining the news to my OH.

So to cut a long story short here is an abbreviated chain of events to give some assistance to all of you eagerly awaiting your CP visas...........

1. Started process through an OZ migration lawyer - MAY 2006
  2. File submitted to DIMA - 27.6.06
  3. Exchanged house contracts 27.6.06
  4. Shippers arrive to pack our possessions 30.6.06
  5. Vacated our house 3.7.06
  6. Arrived in Melbourne 16.8.06
  7. Went into rental property (found by our daughter who lives in Melbourne)
  8. Our personal effects delivered end of September (All intact)
  9. Searching for a property to buy over the next 7 months
  10. February 2007 - found house - gazumped by AGENTS:arghh:.(A LONG STORY)
  11. Carried on with search - bought new house direct from builder (NO AGENTS)and moved in 13.4.07
  12. 18.6.07 - Went for medicals
  13. 28.6.07 - Had to re-apply for our UK police reports (which we had front loaded and were only valid for 1 year according to our CO) Also had to obtain OZ police reportsl
  14. 16.7.07 - Flew to NZ so we could extend our holiday visa for another year
  15. 27.7.07 our UK police application RETURNED because we had not provided PROOF of where we were living:wacko:
  16. Sent documents express and ANOTHER 40 days wait until reports were finally posted to us!!
  17. 15.10.07 WE WERE ON A TRAM IN MELBOURNE...............................
  18. 21.10.07 Flew to Auckland NZ
  19. 23.10.07 Visited OZ consulate and PR visa placed on our Passports on the spot
  20. 27.10.07 Flew back to Melbourne............AND ENTERED THE COUNTRY AS PERMANENT RESIDENTS (AND we were upgraded to Business class on our return flights..................) the icing on the cake.

IT WAS WORTH THE WAIT.............ALL's WELL THAT ENDS WELL - DON'T GIVE UP HOPE.

Guest Bonnie and Clyde

How exciting and big congratulations from us both.

Bonnie and Clyde

Awwwww, we were on a tram in Melbourne once - we wanna go back! :wub:

Savta

Congratulations on your CPVisa,haven't forgotten that we promised to call you.At the moment we are staying just off Centre Road in Bentleigh so you're not too far from us.In fact I was in East Bentleigh just this morning having a crown fitted(tooth, not head).

Hope to see you soon

Mike and Connie

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Savta

Thanks VERY much for this thread and also for your e-mail to me. I'm pole-axed tonight after two very gruelling, difficult days at work. Will e-mail you tomorrow.

I'd like to add my own, HUGE thankyou to Tony Kidd, who has been such a great help to you by acting for you and your son on your (diiferent and various) visas. I'd recommend him without hesitation and I know you would as well. Tony has done a fantastic job for your family so I see noo reason ot to give him a plug publicly.

I wish I could persuade him to contribute to PiO because I do love his hilarious turn of phrase and his relaxed ad confident attitude to visas. Two quips by Tony particularly stick in my nind:

One guy had been nicked for decking a cop in the UK during a brawl outside a pub followimg a particularly contentious football match which these men had all watched in the pub whilst getting sozzled. He was worrying about whther the conviction wuold affect his visa application. It wuldn't because it is not a sufficiently serious offence.

To reassure this guy, first of all Tony spelt out that it would not be a problem. He then added:

1. Australians are too lazy to leave their beer for the sake of a brawl.

2. Decking a grey ghost would be regarded as a community service in Melbourne.

I howled with laughter. The other one that made we fall around laughing was Tony telling someone else that John Howard is known as Bonzai, "Because he is a little Bush, you see..."

I would LOVE to see Tony contributing to PIO regularly. Would you be prepared to try to see if you can coax him for me, please?

Hugz and many, MANY congratulations

Lots of love to you both

Gill

xx

Guest newnico

So pleased to hear this, Savta. I am heading out myself to Melbourne on my CPV on Nov 28th, really glad to hear things are working out for you, and always good to know there's a few of us parents out there.

Nico

• 5 months later...
Guest SEFFnSARAH

Hi Savta,

Gill has directed me to your thread as my mum is hoping to follow your lead. She applied for her CPV and has just had the ackowledgement but as we know she is in for a long wait. As my sister is already an Oz citizen and we have applied for Skilled Migration she has decided to sell the house and move out at the same time as us (fingers crossed all goes well with ours) and rent for a while. Her only concern with doing this is where she will pay tax as obviously she needs the proceeds of the sale here to rent and eventually buy in Oz so doesn't want to lose to much. If you don't mind me asking, did you pay tax in Oz or were you still considered a UK resident until your permanent visa was granted?

Mum is really worried that she is going to sell the house and then lose her capitol from the house renting? Any info/advise you can impart will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Sarah :arghh:

Archived