I am a teacher with SEN qualifications - How can I get a Visa?

Peggysue100

I'm in a mainstream school but I have completed a number of SEN courses as my main interest is in teaching Special Needs (In a Special Needs School or in a main stream school). I'm not recognised as a SEN teacher by the visa bureau and I would be then be going through as a teacher. As I don't have 2 languages I doubt that I will be accepted. Is there any other way of gaining a visa?

Hi there,

Can you specify:

1) Is it Primary or Secondary Teaching you will apply under?

2) What sort of Teaching Qualification(s) / Diploma(s) / Degree(s)?

3) Are the Teaching Occupation(s) listed on the SOL (see: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/SOL)

4) Are the Teaching Occupation(s) listed on CSOL (see: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/CSOL)

B

Edited by Beaty

I'm in a mainstream school but I have completed a number of SEN courses as my main interest is in teaching Special Needs (In a Special Needs School or in a main stream school). I'm not recognised as a SEN teacher by the visa bureau and I would be then be going through as a teacher. As I don't have 2 languages I doubt that I will be accepted. Is there any other way of gaining a visa?

It sounds like you will need to do further study in order to be recognised as as a special needs teacher.

Your only other option is to see if your teaching qualification (primary or secondary) is on any list.

Edited by Sammy1

It sounds like you will need to do further study in order to be recognised as as a special needs teacher.

Your only other option is to see if your teaching qualification (primary or secondary) is on any list.

How old do children start school in Australia? As I teach 5 & 6 year olds and I'm on the management team in our nursery - I should be regarded as an Early Childhood school teacher. Is that on the list or do they want languages for that?

How old do children start school in Australia? As I teach 5 & 6 year olds and I'm on the management team in our nursery - I should be regarded as an Early Childhood school teacher. Is that on the list or do they want languages for that?

the visa bureau??

If you want an outline of the (mandatory) pre-migration skills assessment criteria for teachers, go here:

http://www.aitsl.edu.au/assessment-for-migration

May I suggest that if you want immigration advice that you consult a registered migration agent?

There are a number of registered migration agents who post on this forum.

Is your qualification actually as an Early Childhood teacher? If it is, then you may possibly fulfill the visa requirements for Early Childhood. If not, then no.

Children start school at different ages in Australia. For example, in WA, Kindy (non compulsory) accepts students who turn four years old by June 30th in the year of entry. So this means there are three and four years old attending at the start of the year. Compulsory education starts in Pre-Primary, students must turn five by June 30th in the year of entry. Kindy to year 3 is considered early childhood by schools. Each state is a little different in their age and cut off dates.