Criminal offences

Loulou

Hi all just wondering if anyone can help, lodged visa application and awaiting police checks but despite declaring no offences on both it has suddenly occurred to my husband that 22years ago he obstructed a police office, not hit just stood In his way he went to court and was fined but no further action, really stressing now as so close and can't bear the thought of waiting and not getting a visa because of this ....please help

Thanx

If it does show up (as no live trace) on the PCC, which I don't think it will, then you'll need to get an explanation of the offence and provide that to immigration.

You should also submit a form 1023 to advise of an incorrect answer on the application form, provide an explanation of what happened, say I was a naughty boy, never been in trouble before, etc etc.

It shouldn't be something to worry too much about.

What about an offence that occurred under the age of 18 and when received on a crb check, it comes back as "no criminal convictions to discuss" ?

Personally, I don't know much about police clearances that are not UK ones.

I suggest discussing details with a registered migration agent.

Edited by CaptainC

What about an offence that occurred under the age of 18 and when received on a crb check, it comes back as "no criminal convictions to discuss" ?

Sorry, I just read your message properly, a U.K. CRB check is not accepted by immigration anyway. It must be an ACRO Police Certificate

i had the same thing as you, lodged visa, didn't declare any offences and then my police check came back with a suspended sentence for criminal damage when i was a very stupid youth many years ago.... i just sent it off and my permanent residency was granted without any questions about the offence, think they're really only interested if it involves actual jail time

Thank you captain c I am stressing right out also trying to complete form 80 ? He was eighteen at the time as I said 22 years ago!

I think it will show up on the police check as "No live trave". This will tell imigration that there is a record but it was a long time ago. You must declare it now, concealing it will damage your application far more than the offence itself (which will not be an issue).

Ok cool. The last one I had done said no convictions to discuss,

You know when you think you might have a stupid mark against your name...I'm pretty confident it's going to come back clean.

"A conviction received as a young offender resulting in a non-custodial sentence will be filtered from criminal records checks after five and a half years. An adult conviction resulting in a non-custodial sentence will be filtered out from CRB checks after eleven years."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9955603/CRB-changes-mean-teachers-doctors-nurses-and-youth-leaders-will-not-have-to-disclose-minor-criminal-convictions.html

Edited by Azh

Ok cool. The last one I had done said no convictions to discuss,

You know when you think you might have a stupid mark against your name...I'm pretty confident it's going to come back clean.

"A conviction received as a young offender resulting in a non-custodial sentence will be filtered from criminal records checks after five and a half years. An adult conviction resulting in a non-custodial sentence will be filtered out from CRB checks after eleven years."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9955603/CRB-changes-mean-teachers-doctors-nurses-and-youth-leaders-will-not-have-to-disclose-minor-criminal-convictions.html

Have you read the thread? Minor and non custodial or short custodial sentences do not create issues. Not disclosing one but then having it show up could cause an issue.

An old conviction is likely to show up as "No live trace" on the ACPO report, this will tell the case officer that there is something there.

Ahh ok. I just thought with it being an under 18 issue and over 10 years ago it would be fine.. Thanks for clearing this up for me.!

It will be fine in the sense that a minor offence committed a long time ago will not adversely impact your visa application. But it will very probably show up.