lookinf for advice on which visa for pr??

chrisk1700

hey guys,

Im now prepared to take the plunge and apply for my PR. I am aware that there are various visa paths that can be taken to obtain PR.

ok so firstly, Im sponsored on a 457, iv been in australia for 2.5 years but only worked with this employer for 4 months. i know i can can down the employer sponsored route, (186) which is fine, but im told il be tied to the company for a further 2 years? is this correct?

I dont want to be tied to one employer and looked at the option of a skilled independant (189) but i read that this is a visa for people NOT sponsored by an employer.

has anyone ever been in this situation? id like to go down the 189 route if at all possible. i shouldnt struggle for the points from what i have seen.

any advice much appreciated as i want to get the ball rolling.

Chris

Yes loads of people go for the 189. If your occupation is on the SOL and you have the points and you can get a positive skills assessment then it is probably the way to go. I am not sure if that was your question though? Was there anything in particular you were hoping for comments on?

First, a 186 requires the employer to sponsor it. Will yours - not every company does?

second, the 189 is actually a more common visa. Is there a reason you do not wish to go down that route?

third, no, there is no legal requirement to stay with an employer on a 186, however most employers will expose a restriction by contract that if you leave you repay the costs.

my employer will nominate yes, i get so much conflicting infomation its unreal.

id like to go for the 189 as i dont have to involve my employer, but on the immigration website it says that its for people who are not sponsored. i am sponsored under a 457.

my employer will nominate yes, i get so much conflicting infomation its unreal.

id like to go for the 189 as i dont have to involve my employer, but on the immigration website it says that its for people who are not sponsored. i am sponsored under a 457.

The 189 visa is not an employer sponsored visa. That does not mean that the applicant cannot currently be sponsored on a completely separate visa!

If you go for a 186 Direct Entry, your employer must nominate you and you both commit to at least 2 years employment, but that's pretty much a point-in-time commitment. Once the visa is granted, there's nothing saying you have to stay with them or that they need to keep you for 2 years.

If you're eligible for 189 visa, there's no reason you can't go down that path. As Bungo said, it's not an employer-sponsored visa but that doesn't mean you can't apply for one if you're currently on an employer-sponsored visa.