Open University Opportunities in Australia

joneses475

My wife is currently on a Open Unversity course in Humanities and English Literature, she has completed a Level 1 and 2, and will be starting another Level 2 course in Oct 08, this all towards a Hons degree but we're hoping to emigrate to Australia in August next year. The question I would like to ask is can my wife continue with her studies by transferring across to the Australian system or would she have to continue distance learning from UK? Does not want to go to university full time, home study with TMA's throughout the course.

There certainly are distance learning opportunities here - most of the folk I know tend to go with Charles Sturt About CSU. Charles Sturt University but there are other unis that have the capacity and it could be a matter of contacting them and checking to see whether she would get credit for the OU courses she has done.

Honours in Aus is a bit different from UK - here it is usually the 4th year of study and is usually a thesis rather than course work. Not everyone does the honours year and what you might find is that once she has finished her degree that she might choose to enrol for her honours year in a uni close to home - as it is mainly research rather than unit study.

There aren't many courses that can be completed in Australia through the OU - especially not once you get to level 2 and 3 courses as most of those have exams at the end of the course. Looking at the list I don't see any of the courses she'd need to complete for her degree on the list of courses available for study in Australia.

C&Q - Australia

There is someone on one of the psych courses I'm doing who currently lives in America and is getting her books sent to her mum in the UK (who's then sending them out to her) and coming back to England to sit her exams. Obviously that's a very, very expensive way to get a degree but as she wants this specific degree that's the only option available to her.

I don't know anything about the Australia uni system so I don't know whether your wife would be able to transfer her credits over and finish her degree at an actual uni.

Hi, Mrs Fi is right, you will more than likely have to return for the exms and get someone to send your books out etc.

It looks like your wife is doing a similar course to me, im starting my next level 2 course in january, im trying for a humanities degree, though may well head down the english road due to wanting to teach.

hays

Guest Biscuit

I have looked into this as I am just about to finish the first year of my 3 year Masters course and am off to Oz in October. The OU do not operate in Oz, but I will continue to study and have my books sent to my parents in the UK and get them forwarded on, also all the study material is available online. I have been told by the OU that although there is not a dedicated place to take an exam but they should be able to arrange somewhere, it would probably cost an extra £200. They do have places in Singapore to take an exam.

Hope this is of help, best of luck to your wife.

Sam

We're hoping to move to Brisbane, is Charles Sturt About CSU. Charles Sturt University any where near there?

As Ms Fi said, it is a NSW uni but with distance ed it doesnt matter (campuses are here Campus Maps. Charles Sturt University). The University of Southern Queensland Distance and e-Learning Centre also has a distance arm as do several of the other Qld unis.

Seems like you should be able to cross-credit and carry on with it in Oz, but does it make any difference to the qualification being accepted? I would've thought it was easy enough to carry on distance learning and sit exams in the country you live. I'm about 3/4 way through a BA English which I'm doing extramurally through Massey University in NZ. The only advantage to being in the same country is that I can attend contact courses if I choose to make the flight each year. There are people from all over the world studying through Massey and they sit their exams locally at a designated area, usually another Uni or TAFE, by arrangement. I haven't checked out the cost of this yet. I can still borrow books from the NZ library if I want although obviously postage costs and it might pay to find another source. In NZ if you have a student ID card you can borrow from libraries at other learning centres than the one you study at. Not sure if that's the case in Oz. Apart from the few additional costs I don't see a reason to change unless i decide to go full time. good luck with it.

• 2 weeks later...

There aren't many courses that can be completed in Australia through the OU - especially not once you get to level 2 and 3 courses as most of those have exams at the end of the course. Looking at the list I don't see any of the courses she'd need to complete for her degree on the list of courses available for study in Australia.:biglaugh:

===================

susa

SuperBabyGuide

There are people from all over the world studying through Massey and they sit their exams locally at a designated area, usually another Uni or TAFE, by arrangement. I haven't checked out the cost of this yet. I can still borrow books from the NZ library if I want although obviously postage costs and it might pay to find another source.

=====================

susa

SuperBabyGuide

Guest North of perth

Most Universities here do some courses distance learning.

Ive looked into myself, and you can do anything from nursing to civil engineering distance learning.

You can go via open universites https://www.open.edu.au/wps/portal

or just look up your nearest Uni in your state and put in external mode.

Also if the course is in another state you still maybe able to do it, as they just require you to come for any practicals.

The open university in UK does not do many course in OZ for some reason.

Other place if you want UK degree is :

University of London - distance learning - online education - home study - degrees - courses - diplomas - UK - External System

http://www.icslearn.co.uk/distance-learning-qualification/degree-qualification/

(The icslearn may require you to sit an exam in the UK)

Archived