waiting list for kindergarten / preschool?

Wojtek

Hi all :)

Just wanted to make sure. Ive been Reading a fair bit into the education system in oz, have also been writing with an Australian friend of mine who enrolled her Child to preschool 2 yrs in advance!

With a normal school i understand that there is no problem with a waiting list as the school has an obligation to take a Child into school who is living in the area, but with kindie is it a different Ball game? Is it a case where i enroll the Child and he gets accepted straight into preschool or is there a chance that i would have to wait a year or two?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi all :)

Just wanted to make sure. Ive been Reading a fair bit into the education system in oz, have also been writing with an Australian friend of mine who enrolled her Child to preschool 2 yrs in advance!

With a normal school i understand that there is no problem with a waiting list as the school has an obligation to take a Child into school who is living in the area, but with kindie is it a different Ball game? Is it a case where i enroll the Child and he gets accepted straight into preschool or is there a chance that i would have to wait a year or two?

Thanks in advance :)

I will give advice as far as WA is concerned. Pre-Primary is the first compulsory year of school here (child must turn five by June 30th in year of entry), children start pre-primary at age four or five depending on the date of birth. Schools are obligated to provide a place for any child in the catchment area.

Kindy (often attached to a primary school), starts at age three or four (again, child must turn four by June 30th in year of entry). However, it is is not a compulsory year, so it is first come first served. Nobody is able to enroll two years in advance at a government school. Normally enrollments open in July, for January admittance the following year. Places fill up very fast and the schools will not take anymore students once they have reached their quota.

Is it possible your friend was talking about a private school? There may be long waiting lists for some and so the two years would make sense in that case.

Same is true for ACT although there is universal free preschool education in ACT just not necessarily in the preschool of your choice (location). Waiting lists open the year before enrollment.

It might help if we knew which state you are aiming for because some are only paid establishments with very few government funded places.

My experience in QLD was pretty similar to what Sammy wrote above for WA. The only time i hear of anyone signing their children up a year in advance is at the local private school. Even the private kindys (like UK nurserys) that take kids from birth upwards seem to always have spaces, it may be different inner city but id imagine Sunshine Coast would be ok.

Cal x