Moving to SA with 15 year old education advice please

vbopper

Hi

we are planning to move to Adelaide later this year. My daughter will be going in to the final year of GCSE's in England. Can anyone advise of what level she would be in the Aussie system and whether the curriculum would have any similarities to UK

Thanks

• 1 month later...
30/09/1999 - i am just not sure whether to stay in UK until GCSE's done next June ...permanent skilled visa hopefully granted in the next couple of weeks, so am really keen to just do it!

Hope this doesn't appear twice!

if she's turning 16 in Sept she will need to start yr 11 in Jan 2016 - don't wait until June, missing part of the final 2 yr program is not a good move. Best option is to wait until she's finished A levels - they travel well for Uni entry and keep all options open. If you have any doubt about a long term future in Aus then try and finish education in UK because getting back into the UK system is harder. Foreign country totally different system

30/09/1999 - i am just not sure whether to stay in UK until GCSE's done next June ...permanent skilled visa hopefully granted in the next couple of weeks, so am really keen to just do it!

With that date of birth she would be in year 10 at the moment and would go in to year 11 in January. GCSEs mean nothing here so unless you are planning on going back after six months I wouldn't wait until she competes them. She would be better starting year 11 here in January as year 11 and 12 are the key years here in Australia and both years go towards the SACE qualification.

If you are planning on moving to Adelaide I'd suggest having a look at the Poms in Adelaide forum. There are lots of people in Adelaide and lots of information about Adelaide and it's surrounds on there.

Thanks NicF... we are hoping to here about our 189 in the next couple of weeks. All being well we are planning to go in October as i don't think we can wait..... just want to get there now !!. Do you have any advice about finding good schools? Hope to just go and look once we get there. We are thinking about North Brighton/ Noarlunga areas of Adelaide..... but until we get our golden ticket i don't want to plan to far in advance!!!! I am hoping the transition in to yr11 is ok for her - she is fairly academic and works really hard so i think she will cope :)

Thanks NicF... we are hoping to here about our 189 in the next couple of weeks. All being well we are planning to go in October as i don't think we can wait..... just want to get there now !!. Do you have any advice about finding good schools? Hope to just go and look once we get there. We are thinking about North Brighton/ Noarlunga areas of Adelaide..... but until we get our golden ticket i don't want to plan to far in advance!!!! I am hoping the transition in to yr11 is ok for her - she is fairly academic and works really hard so i think she will cope :)

Brighton High has a good reputation as a really good school so a good area to consider. This is a great thread on Poms in Adelaide about where to look for information about schools http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/kids-down-under/44624-useful-links-schools-primary-high-school.html. There are also lots of threads about schools on the forum that might be worth looking at. You could also consider the University Senior College that is affiliated with Adelaide Uni - this is a place specifically for years 11 and 12 so all kids would be in the same position. My OH has been looking at it as a possibility for our eldest but he's only year 8 at the moment so we have plenty of time to make a decision.