How much to take + job!?

Alix Fisher

Hi ... I am coming to Oz on the 11th September, I have $1000 saved up so far (AUD), I plan to have about $3000-$4000, however, a few people have said this isn't enough for what I want to do. Basically my plan is to arrive in Sydney, then just chill about and be a tourist for a week or two.. I will have my hostel booked before I come so that isn't included in the total amount.. I don't really eat that much and I don't really drink alcohol so that isn't an issue.. I am wondering if $3000-4000 would be enough to support me for a month until I get a job, obviously I won't be blowing my money away and wasting it on rubbish - My accommodation will be sorted for a week - two as mentioned. I don't know where to travel after Sydney, I was thinking up to Gold coast and chill there for a week but apparently weather isn't that good in Sept? (Can anyone tell me where to go after Sydney for lovely beaches and nice weather) .. Will it be enough to support myself for food, 2 - 3 weeks accommodation, and a few activities; maybe the zoo, surfing lesson etc??

I am thinking of looking for a farm job BEFORE I come, I know what dates I want to work and I'm wondering how easy it is to get a job before I come as I don't want to waste time when I am there.. can anyone point me in the right direction of farm work between end of Sept - beg of Oct.. I don't want to do WOOFING either I need $$$ before my BF comes :)

Thanks in advance.. sorry for the long post!! X

You'll probably need to hit the "Harvest Trail"for farming type jobs (unskilled probably?)You will need to budget though quite tightly before commencing work. Its ok to say you don't eat/drink much but you still need money to go out (I doubt you'd be happy bolted up in the hostel for days on end,with little to eat ;) )Part of travelling is enjoying the sights,eating out (doesn't need to be expensive)and so on.You will need money to get around with,as well as for going for jobs.Are you planning on getting a car?Most farming jobs are rural so transport could be an issue.You will need some money for toiletries and so on,you might need to see a doctor and need medications,so you will need to factor that in.Transport from the airport to the hostel. If you're on a tight budget you may need to consider woofing or HelpX to tide you over.Best wishes and good luck.When will your bf arrive?

Hmmm I've been looking at jobs and emailing farms for leads and if they can offer anything!! Do you think that'll be enough to tide me over? No I won't be sitting in my hostel for days but I don't wanna be wasting my money on stuff I don't need to go to etc.. Obv I will be having a few drinks with people I met etc etc.. I'm pretty good with money and can make a lot stretch a little. No I don't drive! - My boyfriend is coming with me at some point but not on the same date unfortunately but he drives so it'll be easier when he comes!! I'll arrive into Sydney at 10.30 at night so I think I'll arrange a taxi or some sort of transport to take me to my hotel lol!! My Gp said I am a picture of health, and I am applying for Medicare when I come :) If worst comes to worse I have a friend who lives in Perth with her family and she said I can stay with her if I am ever stuck - last resort all that.

I was thinking up to Gold coast and chill there for a week but apparently weather isn't that good in Sept?

"Isn't that good"??? Average temps in September for the Gold Coast are around 24 degrees and an average of only 5 days of rain in the month. What do you call "good" weather?

This is the Harvest Trail document with information about all the seasonal harvests and locations throughout Australia.

http://jobsearch.gov.au/documents/harvest%20guide%20-%20august%202014.pdf

Thats what I got told the weather 'isn't that good' !! 24 degrees will do me more than fine :) I got told it was more around the region of 19 degrees??

Here is all the (official) information you would want about weather at Coolangatta on the Gold Coast. Even the coldest month (July) has a maximum average of 20.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_040717_All.shtml

Theres some facebook pages you could join. I joined them and some of the people have been really helpful with information and they all seem to help each other find work if they know of somewhere. Definitely look on gumtree, that gets mentioned a lot. If you were going to run out of money but wanted to stay in one area for a while you could always try au pairing until you find paid work. I think when people find it hard to get paid farm work they volunteer instead like helpx etc. Theres sooo many cool places on helpx.