turned 30 and want to travel aus!

adrianr84

Hey guys,

I recently turned 30 (its not as bad as you think) and have realised that age is just a number and want to travel more while I still can.

I want to come to australia, either on a whv or tourist visa if needed.

I know I can still apply for the whv, then have 12 months to enter aus where my visa will be valid for 12 months from date of entry.

My main question is:

How many 30 year olds are on whv? I dont wanna be the oldest guy around even though I still feel young and get on with all ages.

I am not fussed about what work I get, I am in a shitty warehouse job in UK so used to a bit of hard graft and long hours.

I plan to fly to adelaide then make my way up the east coast and travel to alice springs and uluru. I will be saving enough to do this without working if needed over 1 month l, but would prefer to get some work and extend my travels making it last as long as possible and soak up the aussie cultures.

Thanks for reading, any advice welcome

Adrian

im not looking to go until maybe sept/oct next year so gonna work hard to save up and maybe do a few small qualifications like food hygiene for any kitchen work, and maybe a health and safety course, always looks better on a cv!

hopefully my age will actually help me in finding work, employers would rather take on someone that is used to hard monotonous work than someone fresh out of college that is looking for an easy life ( no offence to anyone on that bracket haha)

my main aim is to travel, and hopefully subsidise that with some work.

im not looking to go until maybe sept/oct next year so gonna work hard to save up and maybe do a few small qualifications like food hygiene for any kitchen work, and maybe a health and safety course, always looks better on a cv!

hopefully my age will actually help me in finding work, employers would rather take on someone that is used to hard monotonous work than someone fresh out of college that is looking for an easy life ( no offence to anyone on that bracket haha)

my main aim is to travel, and hopefully subsidise that with some work.

I'm going in September too. I'm sure you'll be fine. I know what you mean though, I act older than my years sometimes and I worried maybe I wouldn't fit in with the usual backpacking scene. We'll both be fine though. I don't think employers will discriminate against your age when your only 30. Like you say - might even help. Who knows

I'm going in September too. I'm sure you'll be fine. I know what you mean though, I act older than my years sometimes and I worried maybe I wouldn't fit in with the usual backpacking scene. We'll both be fine though. I don't think employers will discriminate against your age when your only 30. Like you say - might even help. Who knows

Think September is the earliest I will go because of brotherw wedding in august!

Will prob be the end of September.

I havnt set a full itinerary yet but my core plan is to fly to adelaide and head upto brisbane/cairns via Melbourne, Sydney, and a few remote towns. Then go to uluru sometime aswell.

Looking at maybe the hop on hop off bus for most of it but may chuck in a domestic flight just to cut some time out lol

What are your plans?

Think September is the earliest I will go because of brotherw wedding in august!

Will prob be the end of September.

I havnt set a full itinerary yet but my core plan is to fly to adelaide and head upto brisbane/cairns via Melbourne, Sydney, and a few remote towns. Then go to uluru sometime aswell.

Looking at maybe the hop on hop off bus for most of it but may chuck in a domestic flight just to cut some time out lol

What are your plans?

I don't have any solid plans yet but I want to go to all the places you mentioned and a few others. Think I'm going to use the bus and maybe the occasional flight too lol

Some of the internal flights are quite cheap....but its the cost of baggage that ups the cost.

But if it comes down to 16hours on a bus or fork out a bit for a 3 hour flight I will prob go for the flight haha

I am one of those fidgety people that cant sit till for long periods.....so th flight to Oz should be fun!

The dreaded megabus gggrrrrr! The most uncomfortable bus going. I sometimes use it from London to Manchester to see family......5 hours without a stop to strech your legs!

I hear what you say about a flight buddy, makes it go quicker I think.

Looking into maybe splitting my journey with a two day stop over somewhere to recharge the battery, but it seems quite eexpensive to do that. All the flights I find to Oz just have stop over times of 1-4hours not long enough really.

The dreaded megabus gggrrrrr! The most uncomfortable bus going. I sometimes use it from London to Manchester to see family......5 hours without a stop to strech your legs!

I hear what you say about a flight buddy, makes it go quicker I think.

Looking into maybe splitting my journey with a two day stop over somewhere to recharge the battery, but it seems quite eexpensive to do that. All the flights I find to Oz just have stop over times of 1-4hours not long enough really.

Yeah it's a horrible bus! I wandered around like a zombie for the full day lol.

Yeah would be good to have someone to chat to for some of the flight. I'd like to spend a night or two somewhere as well but haven't looked at costs. Someone on here got a really good deal for that kind of thing, I can't remember where but I think he said sta travel gave him the deal

Yeah it's a horrible bus! I wandered around like a zombie for the full day lol.

Yeah would be good to have someone to chat to for some of the flight. I'd like to spend a night or two somewhere as well but haven't looked at costs. Someone on here got a really good deal for that kind of thing, I can't remember where but I think he said sta travel gave him the deal

i've also spoke to sta travel, going in for a chat with them soon hopefully.

they said they can help look for a flight and also do a service where you pay £99 and when you book your flights, let say a return with fixed dates, you can make upto 3 changes on your travel dates without paying any airline fees....just any difference in flight price! sounds quite good but she said it is only on certain flight tickets.

i will probably just book a single out there, and keep some money aside in a different bank account with evidence to show australian customs.

most flights i have seen are around £400-£700.

In terms of the flight if you fancy breaking the journey and want to save a load of money too the best thing is to avoid booking a flight to Australia from the UK.

Choose a destination in Asia that you can get an budget airlines flight to Australia from and make your way to there from the UK on a budget/economy airline. Unfortunately Air Asia canned the London - KL route but we travelled for under $2k for 3 of us flying to KL with Air Asia and then to Columbo and on to London with Sri Lankan airlines. There are also lots of bargain options if you stopover in India.

You have to do a bit more work - flight websites won't find these routes for you but it isn't hard, the information is all available on-line.

the barebone of my plan is adelaide>melbourne>canberra/sydney>brisbane>cairns>alice springs>uluru (ayers rock)

i will obviously be stopping in little towns along the way for a day or two rest, but they are the main places

Sounds good. Mines is fairly similar but western Australia too. I want to see a lot of Queensland while I'm over