Jobs after WHV

EMMA123

Hi

Looking to see if anyone can help. Going to Oz on a WHV in a few weeks but don't know if I'm having last minute nerves or not . I'm worried that I'm giving up a good job here and will going on a whv affect my chances if a job when I come back. Can anyone that's been an done this give any advice as to wether they found it any more difficult to get a job upon returning from there time in oz!!

Thanks in advance!

Hi

Looking to see if anyone can help. Going to Oz on a WHV in a few weeks but don't know if I'm having last minute nerves or not . I'm worried that I'm giving up a good job here and will going on a whv affect my chances if a job when I come back. Can anyone that's been an done this give any advice as to wether they found it any more difficult to get a job upon returning from there time in oz!!

Thanks in advance!

I don't know what your job is so can't say if you're 'giving up a good job' but would say that you only live once so go for it. I really doubt that going on a whv will affect your chances of a job when you come back. I got my old job back when I got back from my WHV though I didn't stay in it very long as I got itchy feet and went to Spain for a while!

Good luck

Hi

Thanks in advance!

I was in a similar position to yourself, I was in more of a solid/steady job rather than a good one after I graduated whilst a lot of others in my class failed to get work linked to degree

I decided to do a year WHV, was in two minds about leaving the job as I worried it might not work out in Oz but I decided to give it a go anyway. When I returned after a year I was lucky enough to get another job, my employer seen it as a positive that I went away for a year and experienced a different country

Hi Guys

thanks for the comments - maybe good job was the wrong thing to say , perhaps steady/safe (ish) job . I really am in two minds at the moment as to what to do . Go and take the risk and see what happens when I need to come home - my fear is that I am unemployed for a long time when I get home . Or don't go and then regret it for the rest of my life .... argghh decisions decisions !!

Hi

I have found a quite difficult getting work since I came home but I'm probably not in the right mindset for it as I am applying for my 457 at the moment so my head is more focused on that. What I will say is, get references from EVERY job you have in Australia. If you come home and update your cv with all the jobs you have then you will be asked. I have found that of all the jobs I have gone for have asked for 3 years of references and I've struggled as one of mine went bankrupt and disappeared and another is not the most reliable! It only takes 5 minutes for them to knock one together. Or if its jobs you take for a few weeks here and there, dont bother putting them on your cv, just class that as travelling time.