Disadvantages of PR 856 over 457.

Dunwa

Like many on here, I’m keeping an eye on the "proposed" LAFHA changes. We had a presentation from E&Y yesterday who set out the changes and really the only advice they offered was prepare for the worst. My company has offered that there may be options to move from my 457 to sponsored PR (856.)

There are obvious benefits of PR, such as:

• No need to pay NSW education fee per child.
  • Ability to claim childcare rebate
  • No need to leave the country if you lose your job.

But what are the disadvantages, someone mentioned something about your super if you return to the UK in the future? The only one that springs to mind assuming LAFHA goes is the company pays for your repatriation at the end of your employment (..but if you’re going for OR then this isn’t a loss.)

So can anyone help with expanding the list of advantages and disadvantages of moving from Temp to Perm. I’m guessing that quite a few people will be having the same thoughts in the next few months

-You cannot take your Super with you should you leave Australia as you have to wait until pension age.

-A PR costs a lot of money and you have the hassle to get all those documents again (police check, medicals etc).

Anyone else? Would be interested to know as well...

You aren't eligible for elective medical procedures on reciprocal medicare. You might also be tied to your employer for longer if they pay for the visa fees, some companies will hit you with repayment costs if you leave before a certain length of time.

• 1 month later...
A PR costs a lot of money and you have the hassle to get all those documents again (police check, medicals etc).

If you were a couple with a toddler and came over on a 457 vs a PR, you would be better off as PR due to healthcare, school fee's and rebates which a 457 is not entitled to.

PR is the way to go for an individual or family looking to "settle" down. So the costs pan out in the long run.

457 is cheaper but a short term stay and also a pathway for people who cant qualify for PR.

-You cannot take your Super with you should you leave Australia as you have to wait until pension age.

So as a PR you cannot recieve your super if you leave Oz, no facility of a "penalty" fee? Or is that only for citizens...

I presume on my 457 when the visa ends and I return Im allowed to take out my full super after paying the necessary tax?

Thanks!

Bonza

Guest littlesarah

If you are a permanent resident you cannot take your super out of Australia. It's not about citizenship, it's about residence.

Guest jonnylane

A few random ones in addition (I've been in WA on a 457 for 1 year and am applying for 856 at the moment):

- Some say it's harder to get credit on a temporary visa. I've not had a problem getting a credit card, and have been offered car / motorbike finance (not that I took it). Looking into buying a house, I got told some lenders don't touch temporary residents and those that do require a larger deposit.

- It seems to be difficult (and expensive) to get proper health cover when you only have a reciprocal medicare card.

- A 457 got me here much quicker than an 856 would have.

- The paperwork is broadly the same for both visas. Doing it now for the 856, I'm getting a distinct feling of deja vu and wondering why immi needs copies of all of my qualifications and everything again.

Some of this is just anecdotal and might depend on your circumstances.

Archived