Anyone moving to Brisbane around end of summer 2013?

javi1979

Hello All,

Yes - time flies! All suddenly very very real. Anglo Pacific were here on Tuesday packing and removing for shippage. We're down to camp beds and plastic cutlery for the final 12 days. Am sure you've heard it all before but here are my top tips so far in case anyone is interested:

1. Migration agents - well worthwhile. Guided us through the visa application process and acted as our eyes, ears and mouth on the ground. I know we could have done the entire thing on our own - but it would have made things much harder. If you can afford it, it's worth the investment.

2. Banking - all the big banks are happy to help but I cannot honestly go without recommending Commonwealth Bank. It's been a breeze setting up our accounts and the security features are just brilliant. Working through the London Transfer office has made things a piece of cake. We were lucky to be living in London as we were also able to go into their London branch in person to be 'sighted'. The big benefit to this is that you get access to NetBank online banking this way - so not only can you transfer cash over, but you can start using the account to pay for things. Having access to our accounts over there, from here made it a piece of cake to pay for rental setup - and we're already able to show our financial status for setup of utilities.

3. Relocation agents. Not necessarily a cheap option but what price sanity? We used Elite Relocations - they provide an unaccompanied home search option for about $1000. Consultant on the ground calls you during UK time to chat, discuss likes/dislikes/personal style/who you are and what you like doing. It all helps if you've already spent many evenings scrutinising the web/maps/google/education sites like ACARA and have an idea of schools and suburbs you're liking the look of but I have to hand it to these folks. Our consultant worked nights and weekends on our behalf and has secured us:

a. A fab house in a great location, with access to top schools and exactly the lifestyle we're looking for.

b. Has already liased with local schools to get us contact (and show that we're serious, not just chancing it).

c. Is organising utilities for us - using a consultant means the utility companies KNOW you're not messing around.

d. Is helping with last minute arrangements - including furniture hire.

e. Lastly - is keeping in contact regularly to help ensure we have a smooth transition.

By using a relocation agent, we work out that the cost pretty much fully offsets the need for temporary accommodation and means we get to arrive straight into our new lives - and don't have to spend weeks searching for a more permanent base but can start enjoying the ride. Seriously - stress levels get high towards the end and this one thing has been a life saver.

4. Pet transport. If you're taking pets, AirPets are handling ours and so far no complaints. Our old moggie goes the day before us. We cut some costs by arranging initial vet stuff (like Rabies jabs) and import/export licences ourselves. AQIS were helpful and easy to deal with direct. As was quarantine. Will let you all know how we get on in the end with this of course, but so far so good.

5. Shippage. Plenty of companies out there and I'm sure they all act professionally but I strongly recommend sticking to the bigger players. Anglo Pacific are moving us and so far I'm impressed. No messing around. It took them 1 day to pack our 3 bed house. We're going groupage as we managed to chuck out/recycle/sell plenty of stuff beforehand. Even taking our King size bed, 2 seat sofa and 3 seat sofa (lots of kids you see) we managed to get down to about 650 cu.ft. for just over £5 per cube. The crew handled the packing fabulously and the whole emptying of our house has gone without a hitch. Obviously the proof of this pudding will be when it arrives (fingers crossed) undamaged - am looking forward to it already, will be like a mega-Christmas present unwrapping. I've got to say that the crew were polite, efficient and careful - and very helpful in helping identify anything that might cause issues at customs (not that we had much). A very experienced bunch, and it shows.

6. Insurance. Letton Percival. Organized 3d before the move. Cheap as chips. Hope I don't have to make any claims but so far they are nothing but helpful and professional. NEW FOR OLD BASIS... and massively cheaper than taking out insurance with the shippers. Coverage starts from the moment the crew arrive to pack and we have 'cooling off time' at the end AFTER unpacking to detect any damage. Also covers as standard, mechanical derangement - so if my PC won't boot after touchdown I'm covered. All items over £500 have to be individually declared but see my next point...

7. Inventory - it took me a full week of evenings to do an absolutely completely detailed inventory of everything we own, but it's already paid dividends. I've been able to use the same inventory for shippage confirmation, insurance and for customs purposes. Anglo Pacific were happy, Letton Percival were happy and I'm happy that everyone is agreed on what we're taking so no surprises later.

8. Airlines - we're flying with Singapore Airlines. Be prepared to phone, email and send photocopies of passports and visas but doing this means we were able to get email confirmation from SG of our migrant baggage allowance - including that it is valid for both UK --> SG and onward from SG --> AUS. We've heard that some folks have had issues with excess baggage charge demands when rechecking in after taking a stopover. Am hoping this won't affect us now that we have proper confirmation from the Airline but will let you know! 5 of us = 200kg of allowance and we're likely to use it - I don't fancy paying for an excess!

Russ and Javi - will keep in contact and will surely keep posting. Hope we can catch up for beers on the other side of the world!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all!

Wow Jzombie, how quickly did that come around? Feels like y'day when you still had 80 days to go!! Must be so excited. Definitely keep in touch once you've settled in, would be great to hear how it's all going!!

Hey russ, how are things with you and Sam? have you got work lined up yet? Anymore closer to the big move? We're finding getting work in brisbane might be a bit more complicated than first thought. Considering moving to Ipswich or toowoomba for a year or two first. So confused at the moment trying to figure it all out.

Hope everyone's keeping well!

X

Hi Javi

No work lined up as of yet as we're still in the process of getting Sam and the girls partner visa and the move is still a bit of a way off. Once we have the visa side sorted and we are a little closer to the move, I'll start looking more seriously at the job front. We will still be making the move whether we have jobs or not, as I'm confident of finding something in my field... even if it's only temporary to get the money coming in.

We too are looking at all of the alternative places to live and work, again even if only for a year or so. We can then either stay put if we like it, or move if we don't.

Why are you finding it hard to find work in Brisbane?

All the best

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly there. We're in Singapore now for a couple of days as a stopover. No real hassles at the last minute thankfully. Staff at check-in, and at Changi airport and the hotel were somewhat bemused by our mountain of luggage - we were very close to the 200kg allocated... we'll be in Brisbane by the weekend!

We're here! Straight into our rental and no issues so far. Lovely and sunny in Brisbane. Even better than we imagined so far. Our eldest some was worried about the move. 10 minutes after arrival he told us he doesn't want to go back to England ever. Lovely house and great neighbours, who have been incredibly helpful so far.

Hi Allison, welcome!!

Jzombie, you must be there now. How was the flight? You must be extremely jet lagged!! Can't wait to hear your first impressions. I'm sure it's every bit as amazing as you thought. Hope it's going well.

Javi x

Hi Allison, welcome!!

Jzombie, you must be there now. How was the flight? You must be extremely jet lagged!! Can't wait to hear your first impressions. I'm sure it's every bit as amazing as you thought. Hope it's going well.

Javi x

Hi Javi,

See my last post... Amazingly better than expected. Can't believe we didn't do this sooner. Honestly, get yourself here as soon as you can. I won't be leaving this place unless I'm in a box. Already hoping we can buy something that lives up to the standard of the place we've rented!

Hi Javi,

See my last post... Amazingly better than expected. Can't believe we didn't do this sooner. Honestly, get yourself here as soon as you can. I won't be leaving this place unless I'm in a box. Already hoping we can buy something that lives up to the standard of the place we've rented!

Welcome to Brisbane !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived