no debit card

Guest lisa maughan

Guest lisa maughan

Looking at Westpac,s day to day bank account - they say they dont issue debit cards to non permenant residents. We are coming over on a long stay 4 yr visa - and according to westpac site they can offer a handycard instead.

There's no info on their site re the handycard. Anyone know if it can act as a cheque guarantee card and allow you to do the equivalent of switch/maestro transactions that we do here.

Dont think i can operate with out buying online and switch!

Or can anyone on the same type of visa offer any advice on a bank that can offer this.

Looking for any pointers!! Starting to run out of time!! Leaving Jan 28th for Brisbane.

Hold the sun!!

Lisa

Guest dwaldron

To be honest we just filled out the online form for a debit Mastercard and conveniently didn't notice the permanent resident requirement and the cards arrived. I have no idea why they have this requirement but it seems quit unfair so if I were you I'd protest by ordering one.

Guest JoanneHattersley

We used the commonwealth bank and were issued a debit/switch card immediatly and a credit card pretty soon after taht! We werent permanent ressies!

Hi Guys,

Some banks dont yet even have debit cards, we are with bank of queensland and only have a EFPOS card which can use at shops but not online. For that I am still using my UK card which is bit of pain especially with the exchange rate at the moment. They have told me they should be getting them in the new year.

Em x

Looking at Westpac,s day to day bank account - they say they dont issue debit cards to non permenant residents. We are coming over on a long stay 4 yr visa - and according to westpac site they can offer a handycard instead.

There's no info on their site re the handycard. Anyone know if it can act as a cheque guarantee card and allow you to do the equivalent of switch/maestro transactions that we do here.

Dont think i can operate with out buying online and switch!

Or can anyone on the same type of visa offer any advice on a bank that can offer this.

Looking for any pointers!! Starting to run out of time!! Leaving Jan 28th for Brisbane.

Hold the sun!!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I have a Westpac debit mastercard which i use to access money anywhere in the world,make phone & internet transactions,atms apn_debitmastercard_194.jpg

Westpac Internet -Debit MasterCard

etc - i am currently on a temp spouse visa and should get my PR next august, i was not asked if i was a PR when i filled my application in at the bank just had to do the 100 score points system.

I have had no problem making purchases on line or over the phone etc, i have linked to my card cheque/saving/credit and i choose which one i want the money to go from

Gizmo

Guest lisa maughan

Thanks for all the advice guys

That gives me something to work on!

All a bit alien to me I'm afraid. So is an EFPOS card what you would use electronically instead of a cheque?

I expect I will give Westpac a go - and just apply online. I can always change banks if necessary once I am settled I suppose.

By the way - it's "batten down the hatches" weather in SOmerset - Wind, rain and freezing! Are you jealous!!!!!!

Lisa

Guest beverley

im sure that i had a handy card when i was over there just for a year. it was fine i managed to

get my wages paid in and use it for day to day living, just like a debit card.

Never tried using it to purchase anything over the internet though.

We used the commonwealth bank and were issued a debit/switch card immediatly and a credit card pretty soon after taht! We werent permanent ressies!

We also have an account which we opened from the UK with the commonwealth we are also not perm residents, we were given a debit card when we came over to validate our visas, They have been very helpful in all the things we have asked them to do.

Christine

Guest Steveo_hants

Hi, I am here on a long term business visa, 4 years and am also with Westpac, I was offered a Debit Mastercard on my first visit to the branch. No one asked me what type of visa I was on or if I was a permenant Resident. Don't think you'll have any problems at all.

Archived