House & Land Packages Brisbane North - anyone recently bought a new build

tfarrell

We are emigrating in Sept and are CONSTANTLY looking on realestate.com.au, but are loving the idea of a new build... walk straight in and unpack... no renovating etc etc. Would love to hear from anyone thats bought a new build recently and the pros and cons.

Hi

I haven't bought but did spend quiter a bit time looking into different builders and packages when I was in Queensland and NSW, by far the builder that stood out to me was

Metricon. They seem to be growing with many areas currently been built where you can either buy a new build or a land and build package. I will def be using them if i can ever sort out my visa.......

http://www.metricon.com.au/

Hope that helps

Janet

Guest The Ropey HOFF

OooooooOHHHHH The new build houses are incredible, we loved them, state of the art, huge, stunning, amazing, we were lost for words on what you old get for your money, since then the uk has slid into recession and the pounds practically worthless, but that's not Australia's fault. Happy house hunting.

They do seem very appealing alright. We done the whole renovation thing in our house here in Ireland and it took us years. Dont fancy doing it all over again. But would love to hear from someone thats just bought recently. Im sure theres gotta be some cons to it. Like are some of the roads still plots of dug up land? Ive contacted a few builders and they are VERY eager to help with any queries I have. I think the Oz property market has taken quite a fall too. My problem is that from looking online and at plans its very hard to gauge what the outdoors space is like... as ideally we would like a fair sized garden with a pool or room for a pool. I dont like having a tiny strip of grass outside of the entertainment area... or even the pool being the whole garden.... kids would need space to run around on days when you wont be using the pool. I will keep looking... anything for an easier life when we get there. Altho part of me thinks some of the houses look a bit souless :-(

When we first started looking at moving we found Metricon. Amazing show homes on there site - sadly they dont build in WA :-(

One thing to watch out for is that apparently, its not just walk in and everything is perfect. Apparently a lot of the new builds dont include painting of the walls - was a shock to me (it might just be a WA thing). But check this link

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/western-australia/79796-home-builders-perth-4.html#post1935765227

• 2 weeks later...

ok were just back from the northern suburbs and theres not much i dont know about new builds in the area, unfortunately for my hubby lol!!

theres several new land estates depends how close to the city you want to be and also how much you want to pay for the "name" of the estate you live in. We learnt very quickly you need to get in early on releases of land to secure any dcent size of land as the longer the build goes on the smaller the plots get. If you are wanting the typical 4 bed 2 bath open plan single storey AND you want a decent size garden you will need land no smaller than 550sqm. some estates are selling land at 300sqm!!! if you build a double storey you could possibly take a slightly smaller plot. Theres definate room for negotiation with the builders if your in the position to buy and mortgage is good to go. As for builders theres loads, and a good ten very well known ones whom you,l find on every land estate. alot of people like metricon who dont get me wrong their show homes are absolutely stunning but theyre also one of the dearest builders, and our friends built with metricon a big double storey house and ive seen the show home and trust me theirs is not like it unless you afford all the bells and whistles so becareful not to be wowed! most builders are very helpful but generally only once you have land purchased as they cant do anything until youve got land unless you specifically buy a package from them whereby they have purchased x amount of plots ina new estate and have already started building a designed house on it, often you get these at great prices. its very exciting to go looking and designing just try and be realistic when you do it, goodluck! if you want any info on the estates give me a shout!

Thanks for that Kelly. Lots to think about. My brother is in McDowall so we are hoping to stay close enough to him. I guess once Im over there I will prob like certain areas. Its hard being here I just wanna be out there getting things sorted. I really really like the idea of everything being all new and no work to be done on a property but then I keep seeing established houses and think I could do that up to exactly the way I like. So you still havent bought yet? What areas are you liking at the mo?

we,ll be going back for good later this year, we like alot of the areas in the northern side, warner, cashmere is lovely close to the city but still feels rural, also thers a lovely small estate being built in narangba called stone ridge which is really nice, also one at dakabin called essencia. We would like new but will most likely buy new from the builder as opposed to the hassle of buying land then waiting on the actual build, just because its our preference, also we couldnt afford rent and mortage together!

Archived