The day the DIAC decided to call my employer!!

Goochie

Our 176 was lodged in January with medicals etc. all finalised last week. We were starting to wonder what was going on when out of the blue, the DIAC decide to ask the Australian High Commission in London to call the owner of the company to check my employment status :mad:

As you can imagine I wasnt best pleased and tried to convince him I'd applied for a multiple entry holiday visa and "perhaps they want to know I have something to come back for?" but I really dont think he was convinced - Particularly as he went to Oz on holiday a couple of years ago.

I've stated in 2 emails to my case officer that they should ask me before contacting the company and to be fair to the lady in London she couldnt say sorry enough - She was just doing what the Australian based C.O. had asked.

I have a pay review next week so it'll be interesting to hear what the MD has to say.

Maybe he'll give me a big rise to try and keep me or maybe he'll give me nothing because he think's I'm going - I'll have to wait and see.

Luckily I had discussed a holiday to Oz a few weeks ago so he should have remembered that I was thinking of going. At that time it was going to be an exploratory trip but we've now decided to go right away.

We travel on business to China a few times each year and the visa process there is a nightmare for multi-entry so I hope he bought my story!

Guest jamesandstephcole

Yawzer! - that sounds like an awkward conversation! - I didnt give my current employer as a reference as it would without question end my employment!... so I just hope they dont take it upon themselves to contact them through the easy use of google, and my skills assessment data, i've never heard of anyone else having had DIAC contact an employer, was there anything specific they were looking to understand?

Yawzer! - that sounds like an awkward conversation! - I didnt give my current employer as a reference as it would without question end my employment!... so I just hope they dont take it upon themselves to contact them through the easy use of google, and my skills assessment data, i've never heard of anyone else having had DIAC contact an employer, was there anything specific they were looking to understand?

A couple of weeks ago our CO sent an email saying they needed to confirm my employment history, asking for "as much of the following as possible"

1) Bank statements showing payment from my employer

2) Copies of pay slips from the last 12 months

3) A duty statement from my employer detailing my role

4) P60s for the claimed period of employment

I took "as much of the following as possible" to mean it wouldnt be a problem if it wasnt all available. I sent them 6 years of bank statements with the payment highlighted and the same number of pay slips and P60s for the last 10 years.

I stated in the email that I diddnt have a duty statement, asking what I should do.

The CO's reply simply said "Thanks for your email, I've updates your file" - No mention of what I should do in the absence of a duty statement.

...I stated in the email that I diddnt have a duty statement, asking what I should do.

The CO's reply simply said "Thanks for your email, I've updates your file" - No mention of what I should do in the absence of a duty statement.

...So he took it upon himself to call your employer to verify it. This might be worth a sticky.

• 3 years later...

Tell me about it!!!

Now I am in your boat. I just heard from a colleague close to MD, that he replied to Case Officer with surprise.

Because he was surprised when the call came in and when CO asked him to verify the reference letter and reply. :arghh:He even delayed the reply by one week, which is alright since it's the company policy and everyone is very busy.

When I requested for the work reference letter, in all God's names, I didn't ofcourse tell it was for migrating. I am very worried that he may have been very harsh in his reply to the local Case Officer who was doing her/his job behalf of the main CO in Australia.

Will anything happen to my application, in the case, if my employer has been not so nice in his reply? :confused:

Should I email Case Officer in Australia? What should I say?

To be honest SHE has been pretty useless throughout the whole process.

Tell me about it!!!

Now I am in your boat. I just heard from a colleague close to MD, that he replied to Case Officer with surprise.

Because he was surprised when the call came in and when CO asked him to verify the reference letter and reply. :arghh:He even delayed the reply by one week, which is alright since it's the company policy and everyone is very busy.

When I requested for the work reference letter, in all God's names, I didn't ofcourse tell it was for migrating. I am very worried that he may have been very harsh in his reply to the local Case Officer who was doing her/his job behalf of the main CO in Australia.

Will anything happen to my application, in the case, if my employer has been not so nice in his reply? :confused:

Should I email Case Officer in Australia? What should I say?

The employer doesn't have to be 'nice' they just have to be honest!

Archived