What's the secret!!

blobby1000

When I first came here I used to avoid other poms like the plague- couldn't stand them because they were always complaining and comparing the place with the UK ( unfavourably).Probably I was unlucky in the ones I came across, in retrospect. Now, though, I find most people from the UK are not whingers and are actually quite interesting because they know what is going on over there and will tell you the truth. I haven't been back there since my Mum died in 2002 and don't expect to go again, ever- can't be bothered and no real reason to now. As your own family grows and puts down roots you begin to feel a part of the scenery and a real part of the community. It is a gradual process but one day you think, hey, this is where I belong. I was lucky because I came with 2 babies and was very busy with them and when you have little kids you make friends very quickly. I still remember when we first came I told our neighbours we had only been here a few weeks and she said' oh, you poor thing!' Still have no idea what she meant even after nearly 40 years

Your neighbour back then felt sad that you had left your family and were alone in a new country. :biggrin:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived