Different areas around hobart

Guest tas

Hi everyone :smile:

What do you guys think about areas like claremont, berriedale, rosetta, rosny and howrah?

thank you for helping

The Claremont, Berriedale, Rosetta area seems to be good value for money real estate wise. There is one PIOer who lives in Rosetta (I think) and could tell you more about that area. (Just trying to think of his name). Its closest business district is Glenorchy, which I'm not keen on. If I had to choose I'd go for Rosny and Howrah, although they will be more expensive. Rosny, in particular, is very close to the CBD of Hobart and has beautiful views.

Like Skani, out of those I'd choose Rosny or Howrah without question (no offense to anyone who lives elsewhere). Again, as a personal opinion, on the western shore - south of the city is where I would ideally choose. Areas like Sandy Bay, Taroona, Kingston, Blackmans Bay etc. If you want closer to the city, North Hobart, West Hobart and South Hobart all provide good options along with New Town, Lenah Valley etc.

"BearRules" is the name I was trying to think of in my earlier post. If my memory is correct he lives at Rosetta. It may be worth sending him a pm to get a more personal view of the area. Like runslikeafish my personal preference is for the southern suburbs of Hobart - but that's always been my stomping ground so maybe it's just because it's "home" to me.

Thank you for replying.

We would need a house with 4 br and at least 2 bathrooms which is why areas like claremont seemed more appealing. The houses are affordable and reasonably sized. If not claremont, what other areas should we be considering? We need to be near schools and colleges. Sandy bay, Kingston, blackmans bay etc seem great but the prices are a little steep ..

I would have to agree with you about the affordability. I have been checking real estate prices for a family member who is looking for a house and it does appear to me that, at the moment, the Claremont, Berriedale, Rosetta area - including Montrose and Austins Ferry - is the best value for money. Apart from Rosny and Howrah on the eastern shore you may find some affordable 4 bedroom places in Bellerive, Lindisfarne or Geilston Bay.

Heya, we have lived in Rosetta for almost 8 months. We rent a brand new 3 bed house, and there are plenty of houses for sale around the area. We have a school down the road, though we have no children so I cant comment on the quality of any local schools. I work in the city and its around a 15 minute drive in the morning. We are just a few minutes away from Glenorchy which I find very convenient. Glenorchy has a Coles and Woolworths, A1 Market, a food court, etc. Its not huge but then I believe its still the third largest shopping centre in Tassie. Glenorchy also has a cinema and an ice rink (not my thing so never been).

Overall I like where we live. If I was buying a house then I'd be happy considering the area, though I'd look for somewhere with a view of Mount Wellington or the River Derwent. I get to see both on my drive to work, but it would be nice seeing them out the window too! There are houses in the area that have those views.

I would also consider areas over on the East side of the river. It really depends how long you want to spend driving if you work in the city, but honestly if you are happy with upto 30 minutes (I did 45 minutes each way in the UK) then you have a massive choice of where to live.

Wherever you choose, rest assured it will be beautiful in every direction! Tassie is a wonderful place to live, everyone is friendly, quality personal service is the norm. I haven't felt homesick once since we arrived, but when we went on a South Pacific cruise in Feb I felt homesick for Tassie. I wish you the best luck settling into your new life and feel free to ask for any information on the local area!

Colin

hi tas

when are you planning on moving to tas, we are going to book our flights tonight for the 16th of june. We spent a month there a few yrs ago so we have an idea of where we want to be and thats howrah, we looked the other way around kingston and blackmans bay and it was not for us although i know there are members on here that love it.

cass

hi tas

when are you planning on moving to tas, we are going to book our flights tonight for the 16th of june. We spent a month there a few yrs ago so we have an idea of where we want to be and thats howrah, we looked the other way around kingston and blackmans bay and it was not for us although i know there are members on here that love it.

cass

Cass, are you able to put your finger on why you chose Howrah? Howrah was a strong candidate for us but we ultimately chose the western shore. Just curious really.

it was more that we just did not really like the kingston area, we did the wanted down under programme and the took me to a play group in howrah and the area seemed quite child friendly i have two boys 4 and 2. i like the look of howrah school and its somewhere we can afford to rent and then buy in. it also has shops, parks etc. My hubby has been offered a job and the main workshop is in cambridge, i guess with lots of things you just get a feeling.

cass

Archived