Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

Good result with the Skills Assessment, AMSA must be taking efficiency pills. Get those orals booked!

Don't worry, you won't need to re-sit your GMDSS exams. After you pass your Masters orals you just submit an application form for a GMDSS CoR (and pay $155), and they'll issue you with one. It'll be issued at the same time as your Masters CoR (which costs another $155).

Thanks MKB74 -

AMSA have been great thus far. Orals confirmed and sorting medical date. IELTS this weekend (what a joke that is), I've been doing lots of the practice tests - sneaky, tricky exams. You really have to pay attention. Not looking forward to the writing bit (who puts pen/pencil to paper these days). Just have to put a lot of effort into the revision before the exam. Think I will book another IELTS exam for when I get back from Sea in May just to be on the safe side. As from what I've read it normally takes 2 or 3 shots before you get the grade you need......

You're probably just as well booking a couple of IELTS exams just in case, getting a band 8 in everything is not easy, and the writing in particular can be a bit tricky (took me 2 attempts) - get a bit of practice done and you'll have no problems though. Keep us posted with how you're getting on.

• 1 month later...

​Hey,I'm done with my initial assessment and now am looking forward to book an orals date. I am interested in giving my orals in sydney.. Does anyone have any idea if seats are readily available there or an advanced booking is required? Any idea how much is the waiting time..?

Ive contacted amsa regarding the same , but they are asking me to make a payment and fill the form first.. Then they will advise the date for the orals..

Thank god I found this thread! There are actually other people going through the same process!

It's looking like it can be a very long winded and expensive process but where there is a will there is a way and all that. :0)

I'm 2nd mate DPO on PSV's in the North Sea at the moment. My company have a pretty big branch in Oz and have said they would take me on if I get visa etc sorted.

I'm currently at the stage where AMSA have received all my certificates, my letters of previous employment and so on so by the looks of things I shouldn't be holding my breath for a response.

The main point I would like to ask anyone in the know is do AMSA tell you when your orals are or can pick a date?

Im looking to go over December as that's as soon as I could probably afford it but am I at the mercy of AMSA on this?

cheers

​G

Hiya

When AMSA send you a letter inviting you to make orals and medical appointment you choose when you want to go and do it.

Pick a date and send an email to the AMSA City office of your choice requesting orals exam date, they will let you know if it is suitable or will suggest an alternative date.

Also contact Medibank for AMSA medical date. Medibank is a big outfit and do numerous medicals for Australian transport (rail, shipping etc) and immigration medicals.

They are normally quite flexible and will fit you in around your orals date.

IELTS - normally need this to get enough Visa Points (get 10 points for a UK Masters ticket, get 20 points for a good IELTS pass)

Do not underestimate this four part exam. You need good scores on all 4 exam sections or you will not get your Visa point. Look up British Council IELTS on the web. Do your homework and sign up for study module with mock exams and advice.

I think the test was designed as a money spinner as one slip up will cost you dearly in time and expense.

Marks are out of 9 - I put the hard graft in and got Listening 9, reading 8.5, Writing 8.5, Speaking 9 - overall band score of 9.

Even if you get 9 on 3 tests and then slip to 7 on 1 you will not get your full Visa points. Scores of 7 and above gives 10 points, scores of 8 and above gives 20 points.

I needed the scores of 8 and above so was happy to get it out of the way first time round.

Do not take the test lightly as this is the biggest mistake - like any exam there is a system and if you understand the system and work at it you will not be caught out on the day.

All the best.....

Thanks RichTjam for the reply and all the info.

Yeah,I understand what you mean by not taking it lightly and to understand the system and so on so I won't be caught out.... cheers.

I will cross that bridge when I get to it :0) so first to hear back from AMSA as no doubt they will require something else.

Fingers crossed though they have everything and the ball can start slowly rolling.

Cheers

​G

I hope it all works out well for you CaptainR and good luck with the orals!! Yeah I had to send documents I had forgot too....GMDSS being the main one Ha! The guy reminded me about passport too and I was lucky I hadn't posted the envelope yet or I'd have to have sent a 3rd.

I'll be doing the OOW syllabus as I'd like to get over sooner rather than later to be honest and hopefully if things go well and we settle fine enough I could go for my mates ticket down there. I dont hold a mates ticket at the moment and would require 5 months at college. The longer the whole migration process goes the more likely i will do it before i go.

I'm quite happy with the wages on offer for 2nd mate DPO on the PSV's although I appreciate the costs of living are much higher etc but I think we could do ok on the figures my company are talking about, not to mention any income my misses will bring in so I reckon we will be ok.

It would be good to hear more from people that have been through the orals before, I found this was a great help when studying for my OOW in the UK.

For the orals I will worry myself into refreshing absolutely everything but there are conflicting reports as to whether or not they just focus on the Australian stuff you mention above or everything? Maybe if they think you don't know they will dig a bit like UK.

Hey Maging,

Just thought I'd sign up even though I'm a Kiwi haha.... I'm currently studying in NZ for doing the OOW or as AMSA call it "Deck Watchkeepers" Certificate of Recognition for my NZ 2nd Mates Cert of Competency.....

gotta love the idea of STCW being international.... I don't cherish the idea of doing orals again as I only just qualified in April....

my paperwork is being assessed by AMSA at the moment so waiting on the green light to book my Certificate of Recognition orals.... I suppose one benefit for me is that being in NZ Aussie companies will generally fly me back and forth i.e. I don't need to migrate, indeed that is one of the prerequisites I believe for the CoR is to either have a company sponsoring you or be an Aus or NZ citizen.... good for me but probably catch 22 for the poms?

anyway I've heard conflicting stories of the OOW CoR orals as well.... I'm guessing it depends on whether the examiner is in a good mood or not.... the only first hand experience is a mate I worked with in NZ who's gone over there.... he's put the fear of god into me as he reckons he was in the exam for 3 hours and the examiner asked NOTHING about Aussie law, just everything out of the OOW syllabus like the guy was going for his 1st ticket after being a cadet.... gulp..... so I'll let ya know how I go once AMSA gives me the green light...

cheers :)

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone suggest any reliable immigration lawyer who has worked it out for ship master ? I have also submitted my documents for assessment to AMSA and waiting for their reply. Also Master oral question guidelines will be appreciated if any one can provide.

• 1 month later...

Did the Masters CoR oral today, phew was pretty full on, an hour and ten minutes of grilling by two examiners!!!! Syllabus? Nope was asked about cargo work, manoeuvring, pretty full on with the rules and buoys and went in depth into the MOs. Apparently I was a strong pass, but it certainly didn't feel easy. I sort of expected a chat and discussion about the differences in legislation from the Appendix 7 syllabus, but got an oral very similar to my British/MCA Masters. All said and done, I don't blame them for being thorough.

Medical took half a day as well.

Now just have to wait for the letters from Canberra so that I can send of my EOI.

seriously, anyone expecting this to be easy could find themselves wasting a lot of money. MOs , nav act 2012, col regs, cargowork , maritime law all need to be studied in depth.

Our skills assessment for migration must be one of the hardest when compared to most other occupations on the SOL.

Edited by CaptainR

Hello everyone,

I guess i am right place to discuss my case. I have sailed as fourth engineer officer where i have been employed in the rank since November 2010. I am holding class iv ticket from India, which AMSA considers. After discussing my case with local migration agent, and after doing research on my own, i found that the skill "ship engineer" is required and in demand in all states except state of Victoria, where they require class ii ticket holders.I filed my application with all necessary documentation to AMSA on 2nd july 2013. Since then, there has been no communication from AMSA regarding application. As far as fees is concerned, i have paid 240 australian dollars as assessment fees.

At present my doubts are

A. whether i have paid appropriate amount of fees for assessment or not.

B. Is it a good idea to leave a message on AMSA website for status of application.

I am sure i ll get some kind of knowledge on this matter from seniors here.

Amandeep

You've paid the correct fee for having your Engineering Watch Qualification Assessed, they seem to be heavily back logged at the moment, but I'd have expected Canberra to have processed your application within 3 or 4 weeks. Perhaps worth dropping them an email to see if they have received your application.

Do you realise that you will have to go to Australia for an Oral Examination before they will issue your skills assessment and you can subsequently apply for the visa?

Marine Engineer is on the skilled occupation list, so you can apply for a skilled independent visa without any state nomination if you have the required points.

Hello captainR,

Thank you for the reply

It seems that my application was received as my fees has been paid from my account. I'd paid my feed through authorisation form. I have dropped one mail on AMSA website also. And yes, i do realise that i have to appear for oral examination and medical examination to. It is such a great help reading from these forums that i am now clear with the process. In the meantime, i am now preparing for IELTS examination.

I work with BP. End of this month, i am expecting to join a vessel too, :) so i am worried that for next four months , it would not be possible to appear for the oral examination. I hope that AMSA does understand this fact that some of us are sailing :) and let me chose flexible date accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello kamal,

i think it requires atleast 12 month of experience in last 24 months to be able to follow the process. Once you have that much experience, you can get your skill assessment done from AMSA. I m sending you a link in which its written that either u mee t the australian study requiremen or 12 months of relevant experience. After gaining experience, its fairly smooth process . I have just got my assessment done from AMSA n now they require me to go to australia for oral examination

regards

amandeep

Hello kamal,

i think it requires atleast 12 month of experience in last 24 months to be able to follow the process. Once you have that much experience, you can get your skill assessment done from AMSA. I m sending you a link in which its written that either u mee t the australian study requiremen or 12 months of relevant experience. After gaining experience, its fairly smooth process . I have just got my assessment done from AMSA n now they require me to go to australia for oral examination

regards

amandeep

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/175/eligibility-applicant.htm

Huge congrats captainR!!! Well done!!

I've just passed my chief mate <3000GT here in the UK and the only difference between that and the unlimited license is that they don't include region B buoys! Basically what I'm getting at is I had applied to AMSA before I got this new ticket and not sure if Oz has equivelent so it's an OOW orals I'll be doing over there. I have found orals prep classes hugely helpful did you self study?

Im now sailing as mate but will be going back to 2/O in Oz

I worked through the syllabus and studied pretty intensively, the exam was over an hour and covered considerably more then the syllabus with two examiners in the room. Was asked about Marine Orders, Marine Notices, Navigation Act 2012, delegated legislation, international conventions, contract law, H&S law, Maritime Labour Convention, bulk carriers and cargo (have never sailed on a bulk carrier) and a very thorough section on rules and buoys. It was definitely tougher then anticipated. There is a guy in Western Australia who does Orals prep, I didn't use him but can provide details if you like.I also expect to take a step or two back in terms of rank in Oz, particularly as I don't have a great deal of offshore experience. But really not too worried, as I'm still in my late twenties.

Edited by CaptainR

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all.... as I posted a while back, I'm not a pom, I'm a kiwi so luckily don't have to do all the immigration stuff.... I just got back from a trip across the ditch and have now passed my Deck Watchkeeper's Certificate of Recognition orals (their version of 2nd Mates)

definitely isn't anything but a full 2nd Mates oral.... very theory intensive unlike my initial kiwi ticket which was very practical questions.... easier in some ways, harder in others..... first question was desrcribing a class society.... flag state and port state inspection.... which led to any other inspections.... I told him OHS inspection which then led to describing some basics of Aus OHS Act.... then talked about what international laws and regs I knew off the top of my head..... SOLAS.... MARPOL.... how many and what annexes of MARPOL.... no more in depth than that.... ISPS.... what Aussie law puts ISPS into effect Maritime Transport and Offshore Facilities Act 2003.... what documentation might you use as 2nd Mate? garbage and oil record books, compass error book, certificates of test.... which Marine Order deals with cargo gear and certificates of test.... Marine Order 32.....

what do you do when joining ship as 3rd Mate first time when stepping out of taxi at the wharf..... then into IMDG.... what sort of paperwork must be seen to be in order and received onboard before loading containers of DG..... what sort of paperwork and precautions before loading on a bulk carrier (he was seeing if I knew any of that "liquefaction" stuff about grain? is it angle of repose or something like that? I've never been on a bulkie so I just told him I would consult the IMOs grain code..... ok what is min GM on grain ship? I just told him not sure would look in grain code? what's minimim GM on any ship.... 0.15m..... random question what bridge checks on a container ship pre departure..... wasn't really clear what he wanted... I spouted off all your radar, charts bla bla boa.... he had to give me the answer "check the visibility that no containers are blocking the view from the bridge"!

Into some COLREGS and buoys. Gave me a chart and asked me to draw a little passage plan for approaching a pilot station... gave me the parallel ruler and dividers etc. Pointed out a few things on the chart for me to describe.... what does this light do "flashing one in 10s, 20m high 19 Miles" etc.

explain launching of lifeboat.... on load release etc.

wasn't too much more but I was in there for 2 and a bit hours..... I had studied pretty in depth for specific Aussie law... but it was really just a standard full 2nd Mates oral...... hope this helps a bit as I couldn't find anything in the way of past questions or what I was going into beforehand... wing and a prayer lol :)

• 1 month later...