Would i be allowed to bring my dog?

Guest ryan172

Guest ryan172

Hi,

We are looking to go over to Perth on a WHV for 12-24 months, however, we have an 18 month old Labrador cross. We aren't prepared to re-home him, but because we aren't going over there permanently, would we be allowed to bring him? We will be staying with close relatives over there who are happy to have the dog in the house, but would it still be a problem?

Also, if he is allowed to come, how much would it roughly cost to ship him? He's about the size of a small labrador, and isn't very stocky.

Thanks.

I've no clue if you can bring the dog on a WHV.

Cost wise you are probably looking in the region of £3000, maybe more plus quarantine fees. Also rabies jab etc needs to be done at least 6 months or so before you intend to depart.

Also if you did bring him you'd need a UK pet passport to ensure re entry into UK on your return without long quarantine stay.

Dear Ryan 1972

Yes you can bring him on a WHV - the Australians are not too worried about that. Yes you do need to start rabies vaccinations/blood samples in UK at least 6 months before you go, but this is what is needed to get back into UK, so you will be fine with that.

Flight ticket and crate price for a labrador will be around £2500, plus vet work and permits and quarantine will take you to around £4000 for everything.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Bob

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Ryan ,

i have just brought over two golden retrivers both over 35 kilos, cost to fly them both over was 4300 pounds ,plus $2500 for them both, for 30 days quarantine .

we used Gloden arrow,lots of good reports from everyone that uses them .

import permit from Australia applie on line for you permit its cheaper about $300 , then the cost for blood tests in uk .

New Quarantine laws have come in to effect as of January 2012 no Quarantine in UK for dog coming from Australia .

your vet will give you all the advice as reagrds time to get blood test done, i think 30 days from export date

good luck.

Remember to include the cost of bringing him home again, and internal flights in Oz if there will be any. Internal flights seem very easy to organise and lots of people take their dogs round with them. Might be worth getting him insurance once you are over here.

Archived