Spouses visa- future commitment

k8bug79

Can anyone offer some advice on what they sent to satisfy the fourth element of the relationship? It recommends wills but me and my husband have never got round to making them. We always meant to but as we have no assets and currently just debts lol there wasn't much point. We do need to make arrangements for the children though, but haven't had the money to do them yet.

We have lots that show we are a couple, and have been a couple for a while. We have lots to show our commitment at the start. But now we have been together 7 years, married for 4 and have 2 children together we don't have much that shows our commitment to the future together.

Any suggestions?

Is it the 309/100 you are applying for? If so, let me know which section / form this requirement falls under and I'll let you know what we put (we were in the same situtaion, however, we hadn't been together as long and we dont have any kids).

Hi, yeah it's the 309/100. It asks you to provide evidence for history of relationship, finances, nature of the household and then future commitment. We have plenty of finance evidence through bills and bank accounts, nature of the house is just a statement, rental agreement etc social history of relationship is quite straight forward as we have pictures and travel documents, invites, but future commitment whilst there is hard to prove. No wills, no joint financial investments, no memberships. Thanks

Thanks, so if we demonstrate in our statements things such as our plans for the future the reasons for moving to Oz (ie better financial grounding, better jobs for us both, better for kids etc. how about our belief in marriage as being for life and working through things (although as I have a divorce behind me may sign hypocritical) I think ironically when I first started compiling everything we were going to add our loan agreement as that demonstrated a few years commitment , but that's almost finished now.

I think you're reading too much in to the requirement. We only submitted a single joint statement that described our relationship, a page and a half of typed a4. Clearly you easily meet the requirements for the visa, you won't lose points for not fully describing your future commitments (I reckon have kids meets this alone).

Guest nick2704

We had a lot of trouble and worry about this section too. I had my OH listed as my death benefit nominee from my trade union, and I got them to write a letter confirming that he was so. Also got a letter from my OH's work confirming I was his next of kin. We dont have any assets to leave to each other either, but after advice on here did some wills anyway, although they didnt come in time to put them in the application. In our personal statements we both talked quite heavily about future plans. Our c/o hasnt asked for any further info so I assume its all good.

I would say that the fact you are married is a pretty big commitment to each other though! If you are worried about that section I would recommend you guys get some wills done anyway, even without assets its so important to have esp when you have kids. You can buy a will kit for about a tenner at WHSmiths, or my trade union had a free will service. Citizens Advice might give you a pointer on best way to get some done, but they can be pretty straight forward, and wills plus statements plus being married should be lock solid evidence. Although you could probably get away without anything else for that section because of the marriage, for my own piece of mind I liked to have as much evidence for each section as was physically possible.

Good luck!

We actually made our wills two weeks before we submitted the application. That plus we have each other listed as recipients for the death benefit whatsit on our superannuation.

To be honest, I would get your wills done. If you have kids and are wanting to move to Australia, it's more important than ever that there be a document specifying what you want to happen wrt the kids if the worst should happen.

Guest GeorgeD

I agree with RockDr, get wills done anyway irrespective of whether you are migrating or not. i did mine just before applying for the 309. My wife (my sponsor) did hers a few weeks after we applied and we submitted it as additional evidence!

Do you have any joint debts/loans/mortgages/rental agreements? In other words, any financial commitment into the future which has both your names on it? For example, my wife and I ahve a mortgage which means we have documentation from a bank to both of us at the same address...but it also means we have both entered into a legally binding financial contract for the next 25 years or so.

Having said that...the fact you have children and have been together for 7 years (which you can prove) means that your future commitments are less of an issue...your joint children are a pretty big commitment already. If you have very little evidence, and haven't been together very long (like my situation...married for a month and livign on opposite sides of the world!), then you really do need things like wills, joint rental agreements, etc. We provided a will and a joint lease signed after our application as additional evidence when requested as we had insufficient to start off with, and this was sufficent. given the other evidence you are able to supply, I don't think you're going to have a problem.

Ey up and sorry for not replying earlier to your response to my initial post - have had a bit of a hectic week!

It's nearly the weekend again though, so will soon have time to chill ;-)

Had a look at what we put in and, as Peach says, don’t read too much into it.

My wife (the Ozzie) wrote a stat dec that covered 11 specific areas (each headed). She just wrote a paragraph or two to cover each area.

I also wrote a statement which we included in the app.

I've been putting together full details of the areas we covered in the statements (and which I hope may be of use to you), but figure it's a bit long winded to post on here as I'm at around a page and a half of A4 just for the info on what my wife covered in her statement.

If you want me to send the info over, PM me an e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

For info: my wife had been researching this particular visa and the requirements to satisfy it for a LONG time prior to us actually applying (she wanted to get back home!).

Guest Courty7105

I have gone through Migration Agents both my partner and I listed one another on our Superannuation funds as beneficiaries as we didnt have wills. This sufficed with our Stat Decs and bank accounts :)

Archived