How much money to take with us

scotexpat

My Partner and I are looking to migrate. However I have a WHV for 1 year as im 30yrs old. My partner will be going initially on a holiday visa for 1 year. Despite the obvious i.e. I'll be working to keep both of us, exactly how much do you need to live on? I should point out that we are desperate to move to Oz and we are also going through the visa applicantion process for GSM but we dont want to hang about the UK if we dont need to. (had a bad time here in so many ways and want out!). Pleas help

Guest SeeUlater

It depends where you plan to go. I live in Sydney and 1 bedroom apartment costs min. $450/week (you have to count with one month deposit paid before you move in) + gas and electricity (paid quarterly - at least that's how I pay) + transport not cheap (app. $4 one way) + food not cheap at all. But if you both get a job then you should be fine. Beginnings are difficult. My advise would be -> save as much as you can now and bring as much as possible. Saving interests are great. You can get up to 6% in ubank as well on you savings, it's worth to save at home and bring to AUS as much money as possible. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know :-)

If you have work in the UK i'd save as much as possible!!! We pay 550 per week in short term rented accommodation...the cheaper rentals you have to sign leases for. But you could stay in a hostel...loads of prices on hostel world I think it is. Food i'd agree....we spend about 200 per week. Basically, I think what you don't realise when you first come over is how your £ doesn't go very far. You are looking at about £6-800 per week and that's without going out or anything. You might find it hard to get work straight away ... I imagine on a WHV you are just looking for anything but I know people who couldn't find anything after 2 months and then moved on. On the other hand I know people who found work after a few weeks. But you need to prepare yourself to have enough money in case you don't find work...then if you do find it quickly, happy days :) There are posts on here where people couldn't find work and have then had to go home as they run out of money...you only get your WHV once so i'd try and make sure that doesn't happen to you :) xx

Archived