looking to meet up for some craic with irish people in wollongong/illawarra

gmcsul

hi,

we are a couple of irish people who moved from ireland to wollongong back in january. We know there is loads of irish in sydney but there dosnt seem to be any irish in wollongong! Surely some irish must have filtered down by now. If any irish or uk people around this area please get in touch if ye are looking to meet people who are also new to area and dont know anyone. thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

hi

Just a chance note to see if ye got any replies. I am an Irishman living in the UK but am hoping to move to Wollongong later this year with my family. We would love to hear how you are getting on and how ye are finding the whole Gong scene?

I have tried to find some bad news about the place and have come up with nothing which is great but also slightly disconcerting!

cheers

Ciaran

Hi ciaran,

Thanks for your message. It was the first reply I got! That's

Great ye are moving out. To be honest we were the exact same before we arrived in Wollongong

And wondered what the place was like. Thankfully, I ccould not fault the place. It's lovely

And great for kids. There is loads of things to do ie beach, outdoor swiming pools, sports and a waterpark called jamberoo nearby. We have an 8 yr old and he loves it. The school he gos to is very good too.

Our only fault is that we find it difficult to meet people but then again we have only been here almost 3months. The people here are nice and friendly though. It has everything Sydney has except on a smaller scale and less traffic. If you need any more info before your move just let me know. I can give you my email address.

cheers gmcsul

that would be great, cant wait to get outta here especially for the kids sake, our lot will be 8 in July, so that is music to my ears..just waiting for the paperwork!!

I would definitely like to chat about the schools etc, I have found a website that shows rankings but am a great believer in first hand accounts.

Thanks again

Ciaran

hi ciaran,

sorry for delay in replying. ya i think your kids will love it here.i will send you a private message once i get a chance with some more info on the place but i think ye should like it here. my girlfriend had looked into the schools and rankings etc .there is some pretty good ones around but you need to live in a certain area to attend a certain school. so we tailored where we lived around the school we wanted to send our boy to.

good luck with all the paperwork in the meantime! we had all that red tape last year.its a pain. hope things run smoothly.let me know if you have any questions.

cheers,

graham

Our son is going to sydney from Co. Wicklow on the 8th of april( Easter Sunday) and would love to know of any reasonable places to stay .he is on a 1 year working visa.and a qualfied plumber.:wink: aido

• 1 month later...
Guest katiefox

Hi,

My husband & I moved down to Wollongong about a month ago with our two children. Like you, we love it and the outdoor lifestyle and also like you we don't know anyone down here. Our eldest daughter is 7 and is going to Gwynneville Public School where everyone is lovely but very hard to strike up a friendship. Our second daughter is 7 and is currently at home with me while I am job hunting. My husband is a plumber and is working in Wollongong. There must be a significant population of Irish people down here as the Irish Australian Welfare Bureau run a fortnightly drop in center. Drop us a post if you and your girlfriend are interested in meeting up for coffee or playdate with the kids.

Thanks,

Katie.

hi katie,

thanks for your message.welcome to wollongong.glad you like the place. ya that would be good if we could meet up with ye at some stage. our 8 year old would love a playdate with someone round his age! we live in figtree.Iam sure you should find a job here.where are ye based?

hi katie,

thanks for your message.welcome to wollongong.glad you like the place. ya that would be good if we could meet up with ye at some stage. our 8 year old would love a playdate with someone round his age! we live in figtree.Iam sure you should find a job here.where are ye based?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Foxy2012

Hi All we are hoping to move to wollongong from what people have said on here it has helped make up our minds.

We are both irish from kildare with 2 kids 11,9,7.

My main priority is schools and not wanting the kids to feel lost.

Any info you can help me with I would greatly appreciate.

Hi all .....iM going Mid Aug...oh has been there 33 yrs , both from Dublin.. Live in Holsworthy ....

Iv been there three times on 6 month visa `s waiting for my prospective Marriage visa now......found it really hard to meet new friends..as i m over 30 ,I couldnt work.

but wanted to say Hi ...:smile:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest katiefox

Hi

Sorry about the delay in replying - I don't check the email address attached to this forum very often. Welcome to Woonona! We would be very open to meeting up if you are interested. There are a few of us after making contact over the past month so we're slowly but surely building up the Irish community here in Wollongong. Private mail me your mobile number and we'll make arrangements to meet up for a coffee or playdate with the kids. Chat soon. Katie.

Guest katiefox

Hi Julie - sorry about the delay in replying! Definitely drop a post when you are landed and settled! Hope all works out with visas etc. Katie.

Guest katiefox

Hi Julie - sorry about the delay in replying! Definitely drop a post when you are landed and settled! Hope all works out with visas etc. Katie.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

It's lovely to see so many Irish people are actually living in the Illawara, I moved down here from Sydney last July with my hubby and two boys 3 yrs and 18 months. We live in Bulli. After meeting up with a few other Irish mums we thought we'd see if there were any others out there and I found this forum. PM for my contact details.

Sharon

Hi everyone,

It's lovely to see so many Irish people are actually living in the Illawara, I moved down here from Sydney last July with my hubby and two boys 3 yrs and 18 months. We live in Bulli. After meeting up with a few other Irish mums we thought we'd see if there were any others out there and I found this forum. PM for my contact details.

Sharon

• 2 months later...

HIya all! We arent Irish but Welsh if thats close enough? My mum is 100% Irish though! We've been here 3 years and are in Port Kembla. I work with a Northern Irish guy and 2 Southern Irish guys, 1 of whom is originally from the Philippines I think (so you can imagine his crazy accent right)!! We have a very social 6 - nearly 7 year old if yous are looking for play dates :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived