Just decided to rehome my cats :(

vixxy666

Moving from Perth, WA to North East of England. Couldn't get much more opposite really, could you? :laugh:

Reasons are I've been homesick for last two years, miss family and friends so much, miss the UK, history, culture, feeling of 'belonging.'. I felt this way pretty much from arriving but have managed to plod on for five years, lol.

Love Doodlebug, so cute and very cuddly looking!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol he is loves a belly rub i think hes part bull dog with his build aswell!

Yeah just a small change im from the north east going to qld not gonna be many similarities lol Its good to know you gave it a good amount of time so you'll know yourself you gave it everything and wont have any doubts i think sometimes people can come back to soon and then want to go back. I know im gonna have to fight through the home sickness etc for 2 years minimum then im hoping ill know or at least i think ill try else where in oz just incase after all this stress i hope i dont end up coming back lol especially paying for these monsters lol Well my landlords great in the uk and cat friendly hes got properties dotted all over and just had solar panels fitted so bonus, if you let me know where your looking i could see if hes got anything could take a bit of stress of with the cats. Were in a lovely new build bungalow wish we could bring it with as a starter home the get a big house when we have kiddiewinks :)

Guest sam84
Is he working for Hastings deering at all? feels less scary having a few people to meet up with :)

He is yeah! looks like they will be seeing each other at work :laugh:. Yeah it definatly makes it less scary having people to meet up with.

Yey thats great Baz (OH) is going alone in April and apparently theres not been any poms brought into this site so they can share the jokes out between them lol Would be good to swap details Baz is bricking it going over alone so maybe if we can get them introduced before hand it'll make them both feel a bit better? Im jealous im not going till june now lol

Hi Vixxy, have you decided on your cats yet? I recently rehomed my cream british shorthair cat due to the move. But I knew it would be best for him :sad:. We got him 6 years ago from a breeder. He had spent 18 months in a cat run and the breeder said as he is timid he never wanted human affection......Well 2 weeks after getting him he would not leave me alone! He was a big boy like yours. Would wait whilst i cook dinner, walk the kids to school with us and sleep with us.

It was heart breaking giving him up. But I know he would not have survived the flight without consequences (think spelt sort of right lol) Although he was fine with us he was still petrified of other people, other animals, noises, etc.

Hope your decision gets easier and only you can know the right decision for your cats.

aww frostie that must have been awful giving him up has he settled? max is just like that can't go anywhere without him such a good breed. Were trying to take with if we can so hopefully should be further forward by the end of the week. mine are only 2 so I'm thinking they should bounce back and then we'll have lots of happy years together and I think they'll love oz as there indoor cats here that love to potter round the garden when we're our there but don't get our v often here so they'll have more outdoor time hopefully we can find a way :)

Guest recard
Yey thats great Baz (OH) is going alone in April and apparently theres not been any poms brought into this site so they can share the jokes out between them lol Would be good to swap details Baz is bricking it going over alone so maybe if we can get them introduced before hand it'll make them both feel a bit better? Im jealous im not going till june now lol

Hi guys! Sorry to hear about your cats, we're having to rehome our turtle =( sad times!! We had our visas thru last week also and my OH (Rich) and I have been told we'll be heading out in April some time and he's also to be working with Hastings Deering in Rocky! Coincidence! It's good to know we are all in the same boat! Who does Baz work for at the moment Vixxy? =)

hey thats great news there's 3 couples all moving there April phew :) he's working for pearsons at the moment used to work for cat a few years back. I'm not coming out till June cos im

finishing uni dead jealous lol I'll pm you and we'll keep in touch be good for the lads to get in touch before they start to take some pressure off :)

I always found when traveling alone that people talked to me. Whereas if I was with a friend that did not always happen. Same with going anywhere on your own people find it easier to accept one person alone than two so going alone will be fine. Just have to go with the flow.

My son has moved to a few places on his own. First place he goes is the local pub and gets to know the bar people. All uphill from there on.

thanks petals I know what you mean will definately be putting ourselves out there to try n make friends with locals it's more for my oh with work he's very nervous about starting a new job always doubts his own ability so he can maybe take so pressure off to to no he's not the only new boy.

I can sympathise - I was all set to bring 2 dogs and a cat over to Oz, the jabs were done, the bloods were done but just decided through fate (long story!) that it would be better if I rehomed them all. :cry: They have all gone to fantastic families who will love them to pieces and the only upset for them was having me blubbing all over them!!

I felt awful but really it was for the best - I kept their name tags so I'll always have a reminder of them. xx

• 4 weeks later...
Guest guest51333
Thanks for sharing it helps to know that they would be ok. I'm still undecided got lots to do over the next few weeks so hopefully things will be clearer :)

Hi have you decided what you are doing with your cats yet, we have 2 kittens 12 months old we havent started the process yet but are just looking at different forums to get some answers to tons of questions, we havent even started our application etc yet dont know were to start!!! Hope your move is going ok what made u decide on Rockhampton? There are so many areas to look at dont know were to begin. Definately want the east coast but god know where abouts!! xx

hey the decision keeps changing but they've had there blood tests n can go sept they can stay with parents from June when I leave oh is there now been there a few days and our house is empty I on an

airbed lol the cats r great company but they have been very unsettled max strokes my face in the night lol so seeing the impact already never mind them going to parents then flight then quarantine etc but can't think about it at the moment I'm too soft on my own lol didn't choose rockhampton just got a job offer never heard of it before n apparently not the best place but seems nice so far n we'll make it work. I would make the defcisjon about kitties soon so u don't end up like me lol good luck :)

Guest guest51333
hey the decision keeps changing but they've had there blood tests n can go sept they can stay with parents from June when I leave oh is there now been there a few days and our house is empty I on an

airbed lol the cats r great company but they have been very unsettled max strokes my face in the night lol so seeing the impact already never mind them going to parents then flight then quarantine etc but can't think about it at the moment I'm too soft on my own lol didn't choose rockhampton just got a job offer never heard of it before n apparently not the best place but seems nice so far n we'll make it work. I would make the defcisjon about kitties soon so u don't end up like me lol good luck :)

Thanks Vixxy666 much appreciated, can you not go in september and then the cats will only be away from you for 28 days? just a thought, did you use an agent to do all your paper work or did the company your husband is working for do it all. Thanks Kelly

The company has done all the visa and relocation stuff weve just had to gather paper work and send off for criminal records so very lucky cos that was stressful im dreading going for PR lol I couldnt stay till september and keep them with me Im in a rented house and my tennancy was going to be up first week in may but due to uni commitments i extended it one month to take some pressure off but now all our stuffs gone and im on an airbed keeping it on any longer just isnt an option as its a waste of money and my sanity wont be intact lol Plus i can move in with friends but they'd still have to go to his parents as i dont work near them. Its so hard deciding ever other minute i change my mind i think im being selfish wanting to take them but i got them so i should keep them who knows what ill decide i think it will be easier when im away from them but i dont want to then have to find homes from them when im over there, there going to his parents mid may so thats the time i need to decide. Im ready for a holiday i think ill sleep the full flight over after these next few months! Hows ur decision coming? where are you heading to? vicky

Guest guest51333
The company has done all the visa and relocation stuff weve just had to gather paper work and send off for criminal records so very lucky cos that was stressful im dreading going for PR lol I couldnt stay till september and keep them with me Im in a rented house and my tennancy was going to be up first week in may but due to uni commitments i extended it one month to take some pressure off but now all our stuffs gone and im on an airbed keeping it on any longer just isnt an option as its a waste of money and my sanity wont be intact lol Plus i can move in with friends but they'd still have to go to his parents as i dont work near them. Its so hard deciding ever other minute i change my mind i think im being selfish wanting to take them but i got them so i should keep them who knows what ill decide i think it will be easier when im away from them but i dont want to then have to find homes from them when im over there, there going to his parents mid may so thats the time i need to decide. Im ready for a holiday i think ill sleep the full flight over after these next few months! Hows ur decision coming? where are you heading to? vicky

Hi Vicky

We are looking to move to either the East Coast or South Australia but not Melbourne, bit iffy about South Australia though due to the weather (been told its very similar to the UK), I went to Perth, Sydney, and travelled up the Gold Coast to Queensland when I was a teenager (7 weeks in total) I fell in love with the place but prefer the East Coast, my husband and son have never been though. My husband is a very keen bass fisherman and he can do lots of fishing on the East Coast. Totally confused because it is such a huge place. I travelled through Rockhampton I remember it being a small town as we walked through the shopping area, in fact if I remember rightly my sister and I had our ears pierced there haha. I think we will probably do what you have done and find my husband a job first then we can start looking around that particular area, our son will be starting high school next year (sept 2013) but in Oz they start a year later than us so it may well be that he does one year here first and starts high school from scratch in Oz, but then saying that if my husband gets a job quickly we could be there sooner rather than later. xx

We had an offer of a job in port pirie SA and didnt fancy it if it had been anywhere near adelaide we'd of took it as it looks a really nice lifestyle there and a more comfortable climate but like u say quite similar to UK in that u cant gaurentee the weather but gets really hot in summer but i think it would be a lovely place to live probebly our first choice but getting rocky chosen for us made it easier i guess we've just got to make the most of it and make it our home and the islands of the coast look lovely and only a few hours drive to the whitsundays and mackay(great for fishing but v expensive and rentals hard to come by but know a few people there and they love it) most of these regional towns have airports so only an hour from brisbane so not too isolate for a big city. But rocky is the 2nd biggest so must have grown since uve been got big shopping centres etc and the pub has a rodeo arena what more could u want lol What does your oh do? I'm trying ot secure a job from here and having no joy hopefully when i get there it shouldnt be an issue but im worried as we couldnt survive on one wage here :S good luck :)

Guest guest51333
We had an offer of a job in port pirie SA and didnt fancy it if it had been anywhere near adelaide we'd of took it as it looks a really nice lifestyle there and a more comfortable climate but like u say quite similar to UK in that u cant gaurentee the weather but gets really hot in summer but i think it would be a lovely place to live probebly our first choice but getting rocky chosen for us made it easier i guess we've just got to make the most of it and make it our home and the islands of the coast look lovely and only a few hours drive to the whitsundays and mackay(great for fishing but v expensive and rentals hard to come by but know a few people there and they love it) most of these regional towns have airports so only an hour from brisbane so not too isolate for a big city. But rocky is the 2nd biggest so must have grown since uve been got big shopping centres etc and the pub has a rodeo arena what more could u want lol What does your oh do? I'm trying ot secure a job from here and having no joy hopefully when i get there it shouldnt be an issue but im worried as we couldnt survive on one wage here :S good luck :)

Sounds lovely I went to Brampton Island it was amazing i think that is by the whitsundays, my oh works on gas fired engines and is a commercial boiler tech so if u hear of any jobs going please give me a shout. Ive sent a friend request to you so i can keep pickinh your brains if thats ok. Going to do the tea now speak soon Kelly

Guest sadiesmum

Hi Vixxy

Ive been torn about taking my BSH too, my brother did offer to have him, (as he already has a BSH) but his situation has changed and they cannot take another cat in. Sooooo we have now decided to take Indi with us. Deep down Im relieved as the thought of leaving him behind was really upsetting me.

I am worried about the month in quarantine but Im confident that he will be ok and he will remember me, he's a part of the family and if we end of staying in Oz for good I will kick myself for not bringing him on the adventure with us.

Whatever you decide dont feel guilty if your cats dont join you, as long as they have love and comfort they will be fine.

Guest sadiesmum

Tell me about it, mind you he is a bit of a sun worshiper he loves laying around in the sun on his back all day, just like me! Here's my boy :)

070.JPG

070.JPG