Just decided to rehome my cats :(

vixxy666

we're not in a great situation financially at the moment but even so always said we'd take the boys (two amazing British shorthairs) but after getting the visa today n thinking of moving June feel different. They had rabies jabs but haven't had the money for bloods yet so that's an instant 5 month wait from now we were going to send them to oh parents for a few months till we'd settled somewhere and could have pets in the place and save the extra money we need but after reading some posts I know think I'm being selfish there going to spend months not at home (new or old) and they'll forget us by all accounts so feels like I should just get them a new loving home now n do what's right for them. It's gonna break my heart there my babies n we said there our family so when in oz we'll have some with us but there not going to be there for months. Heads in bits dunno what's best :(

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear but do the best thing for you, it costs an awful lot to transport animals across the world. Personally I probably would not do it as I could not put up with them being in quarantine etc and away from me for any length of time. I would prefer they were with a new home with the least disturbance to their lives.

Good luck, I have three of the lovely fur balls.

Thanks ive cried all afternoon the cats are soaked lol This has been the hardest part so far as awful as it sounds havent cried about leaving anyone else :S im sure ill find them a great home and ive definately got to make sure oz works out as ive given up my 2 babies for it just hope ive made the right decision

Hi Vixxy666 we have the same problem. We have 2 x the most loving cats that are just under a year old. We considered taking them as they are a big part of our family but the cost of taking them is really expensive. Also we feel it's not fare on them to put them through the stress of it all. We are lucky that we have found a lady that would give them plenty of love as we have but it breaks our heart to do this. I just hope oz is worth the sacrifice that we are making. :-(

its the worst feeling when we decided on oz they were part of the dream. We got the visa today so got to decide when we go and sort the logistics out if we go may ill rehome them but if we can wait till august it gives me time to get there bloods done and keep them with us until we go and then they just have flights and quarantine but we'll have to see if we can get the money together for then aswell there just our little family n when we havent got family and friends around we can look at them being ridiculous and i think itll help. Think im just having a bad day i got over excited this morning over the visa and been high as a kite all day and then this has sent me the other way a couple of baileys and an early night might help. Thanks for listening to my rambles :)

i no how you all feel it will be 4 weeks on tuesday since my 2 cats went to there new home and i still have my moments but i no it was for the best i still miss them loads but they will have forgot us by now so just do what is best its alot of money to take them.

Guest sam84

Hi Vixxy666

Firstly congratulations on getting your visa :laugh:

Its sounds like were having the same kind of experiences first with not being able to track our visa as the company has sorted it all so no TRN number and waiting around for them to get in touch.

Sorry to hear that you are having to rehome your cats I know how you feel as we have had to rehome our dog, we had a Dalmatian and spent time searching for the right home for her, she was deaf and so needed to be reassured that whoever had her knew what they were letting themselves in for, she was a crazy dog lol. We found another home for her with another deaf Dalmatian for her to play with and fields right outside her front door to run wild on. It was the hardest thing we have had to do so far but have had E-mails and photos sent to us from the couple that now look after her and she seems very happy.

I'm sure if you spend the time you will find the right home for your cats.

Thanks Sam that's good to hear Im just an emotional wreck today must be reality hitting in lol Im so torn but as we get dates and things sorted the decision will become easier I think one way or another just hope we stay in oz forever if we rehome them.

any news on your visa? where abouts u heading? we're going to rockhampton in qld

Aw, I'm so sorry you're going through this as well. I know we spoke through pm about a solution as I am in the same boat. It's been a few days since I made the decision and once I made my mind up, I feel it has been getting easier and it's not so painful. Please don't beat yourself up about it. They will be happy no matter where they are. My relationship is not going so well at the minute and my boys may be staying here along with my OH. I know it sounds selfish but Oz has been my dream for so long and I've worked to hard to give it all up now and I definitely couldn't afford to take them if I was going on my own. PM me if you need a chat.x

Oh bless you! I could not make that decision so on June the 20th last year my 2 moggies (one short hair one long hair) went to stay with my best friend for a little holiday! We landed in sydney on the 1st of July and immediately looked for a place that allowed kitties.... bingo... first place we looked at, nice courtyard garden overlooking a park... Result! We moved in and spent some time settling in but the house seemed empty, so we got going on getting the little horrors out to us. All they needed was up to date jabs, a microchip, some vet paperwork and a transit visa for Singapore... I did use a pet travel agency as i was 11 hours ahead of the UK it was difficult liaising with my friend, the vet, the airlines etc... so they did it all. We used FlyPets who were ACE!

So the 27th of Aug 2011, FlyPets collected them from my friend, took them to a holding cattery by Heathrow Airport where the vet did their final checks and at the last moment they were put into the travel container and taken to their British airways flight to Sydney via Singapore.. I cannot tell you how nervous i was! I had so many questions for FlyPets about the journey and they were awesome, put my mind more to ease....

On Monday the 29th of August they arrived.. they were whisked off to quarantine where they stated their 30 day stay.... We were allowed to visit, the first time i did i was worried they would not remember me or would hate me for putting them through it but to my surprise they were ok if not a little timid and cautious. We visited a couple of times but the quarantine center is quite a drive away and you have to go in office hours, we knew they were safe and well as we had regular updates from the girl looking after their wing.

We picked them up on the 27th of Sep, they meowed all the way home and as soon as i go them in the house they looked like a weight had been taken off their shoulders... The had a good old sniff about , ate some food and then curled up on the sofa and slept for hours!

They have been here in sydney for nearly 6 months now and i would not change anything.... my long hair cat is coping fine but we have had quite a wet not so hot summer, i would have her trimmed if we get the silly temps next year.

I agree its not cheap to send them here, quarantine for 30days is alot then add that to the flight, travel agent etc.... but for me it was worth it. you dont have to use a pet travel agency as it is cheaper to do it yourself and if you are in the UK is it easier to pick up a phone and speak to someone.

Happy to answer any questions if anyone has any.

Dee xx

Thanks everyone :) Dee my worry is leaving them with parents for x amount of months until we send for them it feels like im being cruel up rooting them and then by the time they've probebly settled there going to be put on a plane then quarentine, also I imagine the 1st rental we get may not be the one we ultimately stay in as we'll be trying to find areas that we like and are good for travelling to work etc I really want to take them and could like with the money I just dont want to put them through too much and them not be happy. But all i can think about is my big blue bear( profile pic) hes soo shy with everyone but me and the oh(tolerates) hes soft as muck and I worry about him settling, the big blonde monster would be fine he loves people and too help out with any odd jobs in the house when workmen come round lol So much to think about my heads battered lol I wish they could talk!!!

Awwww I feel for you. We prepared ourselves at the start of this process that we may not be able to take the pets ( 4 cats and a dog) they were all getting on a bit and I had to think what was best for them and not myself. My dog was rehomed 8 weeks ago and it was the worst thing I have ever had to do! She is happy at her new home which makes. Me feel better and it does get easier. One of my cats went a couple of days after the dog, I still have 3 to find homes for but I am determined to find them all the best home I can. It's not a easy thing to do but keep focused on your dream and good luck :)

I am going through this myself but the other way round, taking two cats back to UK. I have been determined all along to take them with us and to heck with the money but now I'm worrying about it. I just sent an inquiry off to Jet Pets so we'll see how much they want to charge. I'm mainly concerned about renting when we get back, will we get a cat friendly place? And I need to know exactly how much we are talking here.

Saying all that, I can't see us leaving them. We don't know anyone we would trust to take them into their home, it would mean a cat shelter and that just seems dire. Plus, I worry what sort of a message I would be sending to my daughter really. They are our family pets and I think we owe them a duty of care. Also, if we return to Oz and I had given them up that would be sad.

Hm, what a dilemma, I'm always interested to read what others are doing in this situation.

I know what you mean crimson I feel like i bought the cats to have them for ever i made a commitment to love them and take care of them and always wanted them to come to oz they were in the initial decision so even thinking about not makes me feel guilty sad and every other emotion going. Got a lovely women who wants them and shes friends with my mate so i could hear from them and they would be well looked after and happy there but i dont think i can actually do it im being selfish i want them in my life there our little family. And now the visa's through the company want my oh there april we thought we'd have more say but dont want to start on a bad footing so he;s going then ill follow any time after end of may when degree;s done so not long and waiting 4 months before the boys could enter quarentine is the issue do we leave them with parents and have 6 months of unsettledness for them and hope we find the perfect place in oz for us and them for a few years ( possible as my oh will be there hunting ) or just give them up - ARGH! :( gonna have a week to get our heads around everything and try and decide these posts are really helpful though so thanks everyone :)

PS Crimson i wouldnt worry too much about rentals most landlords dont nessisarily advertise pets welcome but ours just wanted a pet cv from the breeder and an extra deposit i think its a template on the dogs trust website - google tenants renting with pets and theres info about it good luck

Guest sam84
Thanks Sam that's good to hear Im just an emotional wreck today must be reality hitting in lol Im so torn but as we get dates and things sorted the decision will become easier I think one way or another just hope we stay in oz forever if we rehome them.

any news on your visa? where abouts u heading? we're going to rockhampton in qld

We got our visa through this morning and think we will be heading over some time in April, just waiting to hear more details of what happens next. :jiggy: We are also going to Rockhampton Qld. Have you had a look into any of the areas where you would like to stay when over there?

Aww wow congrats great news going to rocky we'll have to keep in too n meet up. I've been looking at places in rocky - the ridge, Norman gardens and yeppoon, zilzie and emu park on the coast we'll just see what we can get. Heard mixed reviews about rocky but it's gobna be what we make it so v excited :)

Guest sam84

Yeah it would be good to keep in touch and meet up, we were also looking at yeppoon, emu park and Zilzie but going to wait and see when we get out there. My OH is a rebuild repair engineer.

Thanks everyone :) Dee my worry is leaving them with parents for x amount of months until we send for them it feels like im being cruel up rooting them and then by the time they've probebly settled there going to be put on a plane then quarentine, also I imagine the 1st rental we get may not be the one we ultimately stay in as we'll be trying to find areas that we like and are good for travelling to work etc I really want to take them and could like with the money I just dont want to put them through too much and them not be happy. But all i can think about is my big blue bear( profile pic) hes soo shy with everyone but me and the oh(tolerates) hes soft as muck and I worry about him settling, the big blonde monster would be fine he loves people and too help out with any odd jobs in the house when workmen come round lol So much to think about my heads battered lol I wish they could talk!!!

Hey Vixxy666, I am an animal lover and I love my cats to bits BUT we all know (without sounding harsh) cats are quite selfish and will be happy where and who they are with..... I put my 2 with my friend who had 2 dogs and another cat.... They were not chuffed is an understatement but after a couple of weeks they knew who was feeding and cuddling them..... They even made friends with the dogs! Cats are different to dogs. We are on our first rental and will prob move in July to somewhere else as we know the area now... The girls (kitties) will be fine, do what you would do in the uk... Keep them in for a few weeks then let them out slowly. Also if I have to come back to the Uk i would not think twice about bringing them back. Cats are very independent no matter how much we think they love and cherish us... They are very resistant and strong and will get used to change! If you bring them they WILL be fine, it's just the owner panicing and I can say that from firsthand experience!

Hey this will make you laugh..... My cats are called Sydney and Bondi.... Very cool names in the uk, so many people said "great names"...... Alas here in oz we are constantly asked why we called our cats after subburbs!!!! Mwahhhhhh! Cool to non cool but they don't mind...... Sydney is in sydney!

Go with your gut feeling! X

lol they are cool names dee mine are maison and doodlebug - official breed names but its doody/lil dood and maxy moose lol They are indoor cats so apart from the huge flight and quarantine if we have the aircon on they shouldnt notice a big difference. Doody especially is a lazy cat they like to wander outside but jumping a fence doesnt cross there minds there too big and heavy (type of breed) they just end up lying in the sun- we just let them out when were sitting out in the summer. Were getting relocation costs and are waiting to here if we can use towards them this should help as it would give us 1.5k now and a further 2.5k back after 2 years of working which will be used for PR so like a savings scheme really...plus oh is going in april so can pay quarentine costs from oz so its doable financially we think it was the upheaval that concerned us but after these threads and speaking to friends who know me i think were going to try and take them, so we'll see what the next few weeks bring.

My work colleuges have seen cat pictures every working day for over 2 years (since having them) so that made me realize how much they mean to me im a crazy cat lady lol its not my fault there always lying in ridiculous poser or being obscenely cute :) Thanks again

PS Crimson i wouldnt worry too much about rentals most landlords dont nessisarily advertise pets welcome but ours just wanted a pet cv from the breeder and an extra deposit i think its a template on the dogs trust website - google tenants renting with pets and theres info about it good luck

Thanks Vixxy. Are you any further with your decision? I feel more determined to take them, just looking at their little faces. My daughter was cuddling them last night and saying how much she loves 'her' cats, they need to come with us. Unless Jet Pets quote ten grand or something to get them back, we'll go for it. I am worried about the renting but as you say it's not too bad really, we will just stress they are two well behaved clean little cats.

Is that one of yours in your avatar? What a cutie!

Yeah that's doodlebug my baby he's the one that's made the decision so hard cos he's just so different with me to everyone rlse. Were going to try and take them should know one way or another in a week or so but feels right. Where you moving back from and too? would love to know your reasons if u don't mind I like to be well informed and prepared :) x