Chat to an Aussie :)

Guest Genrol

Guest Genrol

Hey, I'm Mike.

I'm 17 and I've lived in Sydney my whole life. I like a lot of sports, music and just having fun. I'm a pretty laid back guy. I think I'm gonna move to England in about 2 years and I want there to be people to help me settle in when I get there. This made me think that's there are poms that feel the same way about Australia, so I'm here to help settle you guys in...

**GET TO THE POINT**

If you want you can ask me anything you want about Australia (especially Sydney) and I'll do the best I can to answer your questions. I've been through everything an Aussie teen (guy) has been through, so I can help you out with anything: School, friends, first job, what to do for fun, hows to get your learners license, sports clubs, music concerts, everything! Just ask!

If you're moving to Sydney, I'll be happy to meet up with people and show them around. Just hoping people will do the same for me when I move to England :)

Message me if you have any questions or want to know more. I'm here to help you lovely poms :P Maybe you can tell me what England is like?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting .. the younger section is really designed for younger teens, so their parents may like it better if their children posted on the open forum and not sending PM's. I'm sure you'll understand internet safety and asking youngsters to PM you may seem a little inappropriate, but please do feel free to post about the topics you've mentioned in your post either here or in other parts of the forum.

Guest Princessoftheworld20

Dear Mike,

England is a very friendly country, as I have just moved from their!When i say friendly i mean that their are a lot of nice people around.

if you any more tips or help just reply and i will do the best to help.

Although their are some rainy days, but the good thing is that their is a lot of hot days too! reaching up to 27 sometimes.I am sure u will love it!

Hey! I'm Laura and I'm moving to Australia (goldcoast) in two years! :) I seriously need advice on everything! I have no clue what its like out there! And England is quite a cool place! Where abouts you moving? Anyway if you need to know anything about England just ask:)

Guest Princessoftheworld20

Hey! I'm Laura and I'm moving to Australia (goldcoast) in two years! :) I seriously need advice on everything! I have no clue what its like out there! And England is quite a cool place! Where abouts you moving? Anyway if you need to know anything about England just ask:)
Hi Loopieloo,It's really strange cause my name is Laura aswell! And Gold coast, I am there, is a very lovely and very warm aswell, it can reach too 45degrees in a day! WOW!!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Squishy

Hii... Englands great! I live in Shropshire and there are loads of things to do! I'm sure you'll be happy in England if you move...

Just wondering, what year is year8 in oz?? :cute:

Guest Genrol
Hii... Englands great! I live in Shropshire and there are loads of things to do! I'm sure you'll be happy in England if you move...

In all the Eastern states (New South Wales, Queensland, ACT and Victoria), year 8 in Australia is the same as the UK. I'm not sure about Western Australia, South Australia or Tasmania. I'd assume their years are the same, but I know that they do quite a few other things differently so I'm not 100% sure.

• 1 month later...
Hey, I'm Mike.

I'm 17 and I've lived in Sydney my whole life. I like a lot of sports, music and just having fun. I'm a pretty laid back guy. I think I'm gonna move to England in about 2 years and I want there to be people to help me settle in when I get there. This made me think that's there are poms that feel the same way about Australia, so I'm here to help settle you guys in...

**GET TO THE POINT**

If you want you can ask me anything you want about Australia (especially Sydney) and I'll do the best I can to answer your questions. I've been through everything an Aussie teen (guy) has been through, so I can help you out with anything: School, friends, first job, what to do for fun, hows to get your learners license, sports clubs, music concerts, everything! Just ask!

If you're moving to Sydney, I'll be happy to meet up with people and show them around. Just hoping people will do the same for me when I move to England :)

Message me if you have any questions or want to know more. I'm here to help you lovely poms :P Maybe you can tell me what England is like?

Hello Mike,

Im jokeylads daughter Jess, im 13 and moving to Sunshine Coast around this time next year, im very excited, but i have seen some people say that they miss the sense of humour, what's the sense of humour like over there? thanks Jess

Guest Genrol
Hello Mike,

Im jokeylads daughter Jess, im 13 and moving to Sunshine Coast around this time next year, im very excited, but i have seen some people say that they miss the sense of humour, what's the sense of humour like over there? thanks Jess

Australian humour is based mainly on British humour. We're pretty sarcastic to people who ask stupid questions. Some (non-Australian) people tend to find our jokes offensive, but we make fun of everyone (including ourselves) so don't take anything too seriously. Our humour is very similar since we share a lot the same media, so I'm not sure about missing the humour. You can always watch a lot of British television.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey im Jess jockeylads (aka Russell) daughter i live in Shropshire too, and im in year 8 too. I think its the same in Oz, they call it yr 8 the same as us, I think!!!

Australian humour is based mainly on British humour. We're pretty sarcastic to people who ask stupid questions. Some (non-Australian) people tend to find our jokes offensive, but we make fun of everyone (including ourselves) so don't take anything too seriously. Our humour is very similar since we share a lot the same media, so I'm not sure about missing the humour. You can always watch a lot of British television.

Oh! Cool, I have a good sense of humour and I don't really take things to heart, so i wont take things offensively. I even take the mic out of myself, so yh im fine with the Aussie humour!!!

Guest Genrol

You will be more than welcome on the Sunshine Coast among other Anglo-Celtic/Saxon Australians. If you go to Sydney or Melbourne, there's a lot of tension between different ethnicities in certain areas, especially between Middle Eastern Australians and Anglo Australians or different ethnicities of Asian Australians not getting on with each other. Not all of Sydney, but certain suburbs certain ethnicities aren't very welcome. Suburbs that you wont be overly welcome could include Bankstown, Cabramatta and Blacktown. On the other hand, you'd be more then welcome in Cronulla :P

Archived