457 Employee Visa - do we have any other options

AJW

We have our visa's but if we don't get to Oz by 30th April the sponsor will cancel the contract.

Does this mean our visa's are no longer valid?

What are our options?

If OH found another job, what would that company have to do to employ OH. What is the cost involved?

Has anyone been in this situation, please please help... :ssign16:

Well seeing as the visa is tied to the job - if there's no job, there's no visa.

I know it's possible for people working here on 457s to move to another employer on that same visa - but whether that applies before you even get here, I have no idea. The new employer would certainly need to be approved to sponsor people.

I see it's over 7 months since you got your visa - can't say I blame your employer for putting a deadline on it. It's a long time to wait for someone to start work!

Can't you get here between now and the end of April?

We have our visa's but if we don't get to Oz by 30th April the sponsor will cancel the contract.

Does this mean our visa's are no longer valid?

What are our options?

If OH found another job, what would that company have to do to employ OH. What is the cost involved?

Has anyone been in this situation, please please help... :ssign16:

Well if the sponsor cancels your work contract then you wouldn't have a job visa will no longer be valid, the 457 is only like a work permit and it is reliant on you working in the nominated position for the nominated sponsor.

If your OH found another sponsor you would probably have to start the process over from the start, ie New employer nominates and maybe transfer the existing visa over. (if thats possible since it might might be cancelled by then)

Its hard enough to get one sponsor from outside Australia but get a 2nd one and get through job application & nomination process in 2-3 months. Not easy.

Well seeing as the visa is tied to the job - if there's no job, there's no visa.

I know it's possible for people working here on 457s to move to another employer on that same visa - but whether that applies before you even get here, I have no idea. The new employer would certainly need to be approved to sponsor people.

I see it's over 7 months since you got your visa - can't say I blame your employer for putting a deadline on it. It's a long time to wait for someone to start work!

Can't you get here between now and the end of April?

No we don't blame them either... They are family of very good friends so they have been very patient but although we have tried everything to get there it is just not happening.

We are still trying to get there in time, but was just thinking of the 'what if' factor!!

Would you consider just OH coming over to start with. we had to do that as our house sale fell through... l was stuck in the uk for another month.

No we don't blame them either... They are family of very good friends so they have been very patient but although we have tried everything to get there it is just not happening.

We are still trying to get there in time, but was just thinking of the 'what if' factor!!

Archived