457 Visa for Registered nurse -- Do I need IELTS???

I registered with AHPRA back in 07 and did my IELTs back then (now expired). I'm now in Canada and want to apply for my 457 visa - got a job offer! :biggrin: Do I still need an IELTS result for my 457 visa application??

From http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/changes-eng-req.htm

"If your nominated occupation requires a higher level of English (equivalent to IELTS test score of more than 5 in each of the four test components) because it forms part of that occupation’s registration, licensing or membership requirement, the visa applicant must have at least the standard of English language proficiency required for the grant of that registration, licence or membership."

Since I already have AHPRA registration as I've been renewing it, do I still need to sit the IELTS test and get 7 in each component because it forms "part of the occupation's registration requirement"? Thanks! So confused.:wacko:

Guest gilliancam

Hi

i am in a similar situation and have kept up my oz registration. From what I can make out you don't need to repeat your ielts as you already are registered. Think this is right as an agency told me I would be fine. Good luck with your job

I registered with AHPRA back in 07 and did my IELTs back then (now expired). I'm now in Canada and want to apply for my 457 visa - got a job offer! :biggrin: Do I still need an IELTS result for my 457 visa application??

From http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/changes-eng-req.htm

"If your nominated occupation requires a higher level of English (equivalent to IELTS test score of more than 5 in each of the four test components) because it forms part of that occupation’s registration, licensing or membership requirement, the visa applicant must have at least the standard of English language proficiency required for the grant of that registration, licence or membership."

Since I already have AHPRA registration as I've been renewing it, do I still need to sit the IELTS test and get 7 in each component because it forms "part of the occupation's registration requirement"? Thanks! So confused.:wacko:

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/documents/default.aspx?record=WD11%2f5841&dbid=AP&chksum=y%2fvPfIvuLMg5ZBCn7mmOJQ%3d%3d

Not if you meet the requirements above, these changed in Sept 2011.

You are only required to have IELTS if you need extra points for skilled visa eg 175/176. UK/Ireland/US/Canada/NZ are usually deemed to meet IETLS to level 6 for this visa.

As you are currently registered with APHRA you are already assessed. :)http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books9.pdf

Hope that helps :)

Good luck.

Thanks. I am from Canada and I don't think I am exempt anymore:-

From http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2011L01131

"SPECIFY for the purposes of the meaning of “exempt applicant” under subclause 457.223(11) of Schedule 2 to the Regulations, the following classes of applicants to be an exempt applicant:

(a) applicants who are:

(i) nominated in an occupation that does not require a level of English language competency for grant (however described) of registration, license or membership, and

(ii) the holder of a passport of any of the following countries:

(A) Canada;

(B) New Zealand;

© the Republic of Ireland;

(D) the United Kingdom; or

(E) the United States of America;

"

This is because for my Nursing Registration, I do "require a level of English competency for grant". However, since I have already been granted registration, how does this work? Do I need to sit IELTs again? (my IELTs certificate when I used for my nursing registration is 2008) :arghh: Thanks heaps everyone!:biggrin:

Thanks. I am from Canada and I don't think I am exempt anymore:-

From http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2011L01131

"SPECIFY for the purposes of the meaning of “exempt applicant” under subclause 457.223(11) of Schedule 2 to the Regulations, the following classes of applicants to be an exempt applicant:

(a) applicants who are:

(i) nominated in an occupation that does not require a level of English language competency for grant (however described) of registration, license or membership, and

(ii) the holder of a passport of any of the following countries:

(A) Canada;

(B) New Zealand;

© the Republic of Ireland;

(D) the United Kingdom; or

(E) the United States of America;

"

This is because for my Nursing Registration, I do "require a level of English competency for grant". However, since I have already been granted registration, how does this work? Do I need to sit IELTs again? (my IELTs certificate when I used for my nursing registration is 2008) :arghh: Thanks heaps everyone!:biggrin:

Has your registration lapsed? Are you re-registering with APHRA? If this is the case:

Is English your first language and were you educated for the 5 years in secondary/tertiary/vocational studies in english that would mean if you were registering with APHRA now you would be exempt?

If you are not re-registering you will be fine as you have met this requirement before and kept your registration up.

If you are re-registering and meet the exemption above you will also be fine as IELTS is only required now if the exemption is not met, ie you are from France/India/South Africa etc.

However if you did not maintain your registration and Eglish is not your first language, you will most likely need to complete IELTS for APHRA. You can contact them and ask them if you want answers more definitively.

I am currently going for the 457 as an Agricultural Engineer, where would it be listed if i need to do IELTS.

I followed the links from the .gov site to ABS as it said but that just seems to list occupations and not a link to the IELTS needed or not.

I am currently going for the 457 as an Agricultural Engineer, where would it be listed if i need to do IELTS.

I followed the links from the .gov site to ABS as it said but that just seems to list occupations and not a link to the IELTS needed or not.

Paul, apologies, I know about nursing, not engineering. You might find asking that in a thread title would get you more answers? I have posted the link for the 457 booklet from DIAC in post 3 above. It will tell you about the 457 English language visa requirements. Is there a site which tells you about your skilled occupation? Nursing is regulated and requires registration and yearly continuous updating with annual fees so may be different.

Archived