Cost of Living - Sticky?

Guest Impatient

Check this comparison out for daily items - www.ozvuk.com/groceries.htm

You should live very comfortably in OZ; depending on your expectations. i.e. you will probably pass allot less tax, however a night down the pub will probably cost you double.

Hi there just been checking out the your comparison ( very usefull ), sorry of I've missed it but how up to date is this comparison?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest richsaint18
Hi there just been checking out the your comparison ( very usefull ), sorry of I've missed it but how up to date is this comparison?

Very recent, i only emigrated back to Melbourne in November.

I was very surprised by two things when i returned:

1. Wages had actually stagnated (my wage today is no better than when i left 2 years ago)

2. The slowdown in the retail sector (lots of empty shopfronts, something that was a rarity some years ago)

In the argument on comparing like with like i agree that £1 does not really equal the exchange rate of 1.54AUD. I do propose that a sensible comparison could be the minimum wage (UK 6.08 to OZ 15.51 or 1=2.55). You could argue that someone who cleans toilets in say Glasgow would be 60% better off doing the same job in Australia (even more if you consider that you pay virtually no tax in Australia on the minimum wage).

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hi petals

these calculations are only correct if you are on holiday in Australia, but once you emigrate you will be paid in dollars and the current exchange rate is pointless, because Australian wages are roughly paid at a $2.2 to £1 rate. This is based on nurses pay, tradies, government jobs and several others.

I THINK THE RATE IS NEARER $2.5 TO $2.7 NOW WITH AUSTRALIAS GREAT PAY RISES, SO I HAVE CHANGED BY FIGURES BELOW.

Based on the rate $2.5 to £1, below are my monthly outgoings in the uk and someone living in a bigger house in Australia, in red.

Rates/ £1450 per year/ $3650 is it the same?...... approx $1600 in Brisbane

Gas/electric/ £1600 per year/ $4000 - how much do you pay?...........approx $1900

Petrol/ £1.30 a litre/ $3.00 how much? .................diesel - $1.20

car insurance/ £500/ $1250 ? ................incl Rego & fully comp approx $1300

yearly water rates/ £400/ $900 ?................ $416

These are only 2 peoples figures living in a 4 bedroomed detached house in both countries, but the figures will vary from state to state.

I have just re-posted this post because it is so relevant for people trying to assess the costs in each country. When this thread was started in 2008 the exchange rate was for a time at $2.5 to £1 and now it is down to $1.5 to £1 and theres no point in using the exchange rate when assessing costs, the best way is to use the the average skilled wage in Australia, which is roughly paid at $2.2 to £1, because when you are in Australia, you will be earning AUS dollars and English pounds will not be relevant at all.

Just updated it.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I am moving to a job which will be 90 000 plus SA, I will be renting at 700 pw, and have childcare for 2 to factor in.... hubby will be on a low wage when his visa comes through nd when he gets work.....I am worried that we will struggle. I have been told mto look at 240 per day for childcare!!! i COULD PAY LESS RENT BUT i DO NOT WANT THE GIRLS TO SHARE A BEDROOM.....can we get by on that wage?

Guest Guest31881
Gday Phil

I hve not been able to log in. Are you able to send me a direct link with password please.

The post you are responding to is over 12 months old, I do not think Phil posts on here any more.

Guest lookingforachange

Hi we are thinking of moving to perth from Ireland.Does anyone have a break down of the cost of living we will be renting.

Thanks

Archived