Accounting articleship experience counted or not??

Honeybun

We have recd the email from our CO asking for specific work experience..

My OH graduated in may 2005 and it is mandatory to do an articleship of 3 years which she did..

What I want to confirm is that as she had graduated in 2005 and her articleship was after that will it be counted as specific work experience for the visa.. We need to show she has 3 yrs work experience out of the last 4 yrs..

Pls help.. Thanks in advance..

Hello,

I can possibly answer from experience. I am a CA and had to do 3 years traineeship (articles). I did not need the points to apply for the visa from work experience, but I did need to have worked for at least 1 year in the last 2 in order to apply for a 176 visa. I applied very soon after I finished my articles (within 1 month) and my work experience has been set as "met". I'm not sure if they gave me the points for my work experience (I think they did) and I won't know since I had enough points without it.

Another colleague applied for a visa and the CPA/ICAA (can't remember which), after some coaxing, did give him his 3 years of articles as part of his work experience.

From my understanding, the DIAC considers any relevant experience after completing your degree (or equivalent) to be skilled employment.

Your best bet is to ask your case officer if a ICAA/CPA points test recommendation letter would suffice.

If you've already got a CO it's too late to change your application. Send in the evidence that you have of your work experience on the assumption that you were correct to claim it. I think it should be fine (as Dono said) but there's no point asking about whether or not it's valid now as you can't change the experience you've got.

Hi Honeybun,

I'm sure three years article-ship would be counted it's just that you'll have to provide them additional experience certificate from the CA giving details about duties your OH performed during that stint. Work and duties have to be clearly detailed.

Guest SatyamS
Hi Honeybun,

I'm sure three years article-ship would be counted it's just that you'll have to provide them additional experience certificate from the CA giving details about duties your OH performed during that stint. Work and duties have to be clearly detailed.

Hi Nishi,

I think CA articleship is not considered as your post qualification experience. The assessment body has clearly mentioned in their website that only post qualification experience will be counted.

http://www.charteredaccountants.com.au/The-Institute/Migration-assessment/FAQs-Migration-Assessment/FAQs-Work-experience-assessment.aspx

Please correct if my understanding is wrong.

Thanks

Satyam Sadhu

Yes, but in this case post qualification means post tertiary education (ie, your degrees). As long as you've worked, for example, as an auditor for those 3 years then it counts. They just don't want people claiming years they worked part time while studying as "skilled employment".

Yes, but in this case post qualification means post tertiary education (ie, your degrees). As long as you've worked, for example, as an auditor for those 3 years then it counts. They just don't want people claiming years they worked part time while studying as "skilled employment".

Dono,

I agree as it clearly states on ICAA site.

[h=3]Will you assess my experience obtained prior to graduation[/h]The minimum entry level for your nominated occupation is an Australian Bachelor's degree, or overseas qualification comparable to an Australian Bachelor's degree. Work experience gained prior to graduation is not considered skilled employment and will not be taken into consideration

If you have a non accounting degree and are completing a masters in accounting while working in a related role, this experience will not be taken into consideration

Nishi thansk for your input...

Satyam S,

Thw work experience is all after the B.com degree which is equivalent to an australian bachelor's degree so i think it should be counted.

Guest SatyamS
Dono,

I agree as it clearly states on ICAA site.

Will you assess my experience obtained prior to graduation

The minimum entry level for your nominated occupation is an Australian Bachelor's degree, or overseas qualification comparable to an Australian Bachelor's degree. Work experience gained prior to graduation is not considered skilled employment and will not be taken into consideration

If you have a non accounting degree and are completing a masters in accounting while working in a related role, this experience will not be taken into consideration

Nishi thansk for your input...

Satyam S,

Thw work experience is all after the B.com degree which is equivalent to an australian bachelor's degree so i think it should be counted.

Hi Honeybun,

What about the cases like, where you have completed B.Com and then started your CA articleship (as part of CA course). If you have partly/ fully recognised professional qualifications, they will count your experience only that you obtained after your qualification, i believe.

In such cases, is it possible to claim full period experience, right from your graduation?

Say for example, in my case, i have completed my graduation in May 2002, i registered for CA articleship from May 2005 and ended in Jan 2008. I cleared my CA in Jan 2008 (technically i became CA in Jan 2008). According to me, i can get only 4 years experience i.e; from Jan 2008 to till date (as i hav been working through out the period without any gaps)

Pls clarify, it may entitle me to get more points, right now am under the impression that i can claim only 4 years experience. My occupation is External Auditor.

Hi Honeybun,

What about the cases like, where you have completed B.Com and then started your CA articleship (as part of CA course). If you have partly/ fully recognised professional qualifications, they will count your experience only that you obtained after your qualification, i believe.

In such cases, is it possible to claim full period experience, right from your graduation?

Say for example, in my case, i have completed my graduation in May 2002, i registered for CA articleship from May 2005 and ended in Jan 2008. I cleared my CA in Jan 2008 (technically i became CA in Jan 2008). According to me, i can get only 4 years experience i.e; from Jan 2008 to till date (as i hav been working through out the period without any gaps)

Pls clarify, it may entitle me to get more points, right now am under the impression that i can claim only 4 years experience. My occupation is External Auditor.

Satyam S

CA is a professional degree and when anyone is migrating as an accountant then he may or may not be a CA..what is relevant here is that they should have a degree in accounting like a b.com and should have relevant accounting experience..

In ur case ur degree which you passed in 2002 is relevant here and you can claim all full time experience you had after that degree..

Now what applies in ur case is not very clear to me as I have applied as an accountant and my work assessment was done by ICAA however as you are an external auditor is it the same body or some other body.. If it is some other body then I am not very sure if the same rules apply..

I am wondering is it mandatory to have your employment assessed by CPA or ICAA. I have had my qualification assessed positively but not my work experience yet. Will I have to do that as well??

Thanks.

Nishi,

As per my last discussion with my agent he told us that for the ongoing (after July 2011) applicants it is mandatory that the work experience has to be assessed by ICAA... As we have applied before July 2011 we have to send all the supporting documents to DIAC and they will do the needful.

Guest SatyamS
I am wondering is it mandatory to have your employment assessed by CPA or ICAA. I have had my qualification assessed positively but not my work experience yet. Will I have to do that as well??

Thanks.

Nishi,

Its not mandatory but recommended. My agent has confirmed that its not required. However, you can ask ICAA to do combined assessment if you have all work experience certificates, for this do not charge anything extra. If you have already done with your qualification assessment, you have to apply for employment assessment again by paying extra AUD400. I personally feel, if you have clear and complete documents to prove your work experience then dont go for it.

However, on the other hand if you have employment assessment done, your CO may get more comfort as independent body has verified and approved the experience. Notwithstanding with anything, CO decision is final.

Thanks to SatyamS and Honeybun. I have already done my qualification assessment so if I go for employment assessment now I'll have to shell out $450 (fast track service). I am still awaiting NSW SS result, if i get positive result then I might skip it. On the other hand if I get negative result I will go for employment assessment just to strengthen my 175 file. :huh:

Guest SatyamS
Nishi/Satyam,

All the best to you guys for your Visas.... We have got our grant today... SO the journey begins now...

Wow... that's fantastic news Honeybun... I know you must be in cloud 9. All the best mate for moving to Oz...

I have another query. Do we need taxation returns of all years we've been working? Is it mandatory too?

Thanks.

We were not asked for any taxation papers.. Pay slips and promotion letters were more than enough..

Sent using Tapatalk

Guest SatyamS
Hey we got NSW SS just moments ago. SOOOO happy....yayyyy

Congrats Nishi,

That's wonderful news.. Enjoy the moment and get ready for next step.... just one more step to OZ...:)

Actually we are already in oz but on temp. visa which is due to expire in six months. Thus we wanted to go 176 way. :)

Ya i as aware of that.. Hope u get your 176 soon..

I will be coming down under for the 1st time.. U can probably help us with some important info of Melbourne..

Archived