Do I have to send my daughter to Kindergarten?

Tibby

Hi everyone - just a quick question. Since landing in Melbourne (which i love incidently) I have been less than impressed with the childcare here. My daughter went to a wonderful nursery back in the UK, and here there just doesn't seem to be the same nurturing, caring or indeed academic/curriculum focus.

Olivia is 30 months so I know I have to sign her up soon - but I cannot find a kindy that i like - I would rather educate her at home (I'm a bit pushy I suppose when it comes to education, being a teacher :wink:).

Does anyone have any views/info on good Bayside Kindergartens/advice?

Thank you

Pushy Mother

I wasn't impressed at all by the kinder my son went to last year: it was basically a playgroup imo. Prior to that we lived in a different suburb: the kinder he went to then seemed much more focused on teaching (the kinder teacher there was quite 'old school' I think). I don't think you need formal qualifications to be a kinder teacher so I suspect the quality of teaching varies enormously.

To answer your question, I don't think it's compulsory but kinder is certainly important for getting the child socially ready for school, and possibly making some friends who may be going into the same prep class. I've struggled with the approach to early learning here in Vic TBH, but I've learned to chill out and go with the flow. My son is now in prep, he seems to really enjoy it. His peers seem at the same sort of level of literacy and numeracy as him.

Your child has to be in a full time approved educational placement (be that school or an approved home schooling program) by their 6th birthday so you have a long while to carry on doing what you are doing before you get into trouble (and even then, I doubt anyone would blow the whistle on you)

At under 3 no one is going to give a toss where you put the child. They wont even bother if you dont rock up for Prep

Guest Guest62757

First thing they do start later here than in the UK so relax on that front, depending on when your daughter is born she won't start prep until she is 5 or 5.5. The cut off is end of April.

There are some council run kinders/preschool like the one my three year old and 4.5 year old attend but they have to be three to start. I'm over in Boroondara so they control the enrollment process. The one my children attend is called The Surrey Hills Preschool, it is a small intimate school.

Perhaps you can check out the Bayside council website to see if there is something similar?

I was really impressed by the whole system, they appear conscientious to prepare the children for independence and learning victorian cursive etc..

Just found this on there website I would start doing tours and putting in applications as the good ones will get full quickly.

http://www.bayside.vic.gov.au/children_kindergarten.htm

Archived