Football (english) and cricket

cass73

hi guys

are there many football (english) teams in tas to go and watch. we are hoping to move either to south hobart or to howrah are there any cricket clubs that are of a standard to village cricket back in the uk. im hoping if we can get involved in things it will help with any home sickness.

cass

There are at least 16 (English) football clubs in the Hobart area with 13 separate divisions at senior level (including 3 for women). This code of football is probably the most popular sport played in schools here too - some primary schools have up to 18 teams each and they start playing at age 6. It is preferred over Australian Rules Football because there is less contact and therefore less chance of injury and it suits girls better than the biffy rough and tumble of Australian Rules. The main season is in the winter, starting around late March or April, although there is also a summer roster. Futsal is also played. Info on all this is here:

http://www.footballfedtas.com.au/

Re cricket: there are about 70 cricket clubs throughout Tasmania and at least a third of those would be in the Hobart and southern area. You will have no trouble finding a match to watch on any summer weekend.

As with football, there are many different levels. Children can start playing at age 5 and continue right through to Veterans' Cricket (for the over 60s). There are also women's cricket teams.

Tasmania punches well above its weight in Australian cricket - we've recently had over 25% of the Australian cricket team Tasmanian even though we account for only 2% of the population - and that is due to the great community support and mentoring for cricket at all levels.

(You will also often see cricket being played on the beach!:biggrin:)

More info under "Getting Involved" and "Club Cricket" on this website:

http://www.tascricket.com.au/

There is also some Rugby (Union and League) played here.

They are mad for cricket throughout Aus from what I can see. It's fantastic (for me) to live somewhere it is taken seriously as a national sport rather than a minority interest. Top players here are national stars - in England they're only stars within the environment of cricket fans, if that makes sense

So whilst I've never been to Tas, I would expect it (cricket) to be as big there as anywhere else. Particularly since the biggest star of the past 15 years is Tasmanian

And before Ponting there was David Boon.:biggrin:

Hmm. We're not really in the same league here, are we? ;-)

TBH I was expecting a few posts from outraged Victorians yelling "708 wickets! Seven Hundred and Eight Wickets!"

It's even possible Warney would qualify (at times) as the portliest Aussie player since, err David Boon :biggrin:

Hmm. We're not really in the same league here, are we? ;-)

TBH I was expecting a few posts from outraged Victorians yelling "708 wickets! Seven Hundred and Eight Wickets!"

It's even possible Warney would qualify (at times) as the portliest Aussie player since, err David Boon :biggrin:

No...but we're talking Tasmanian history here ...not worrying about that Victorian mob.:wink:

• 1 month later...
Guest vickipowts

is there a FB group or something similar where us UK folk in Australia can talk, discuss cricket, football and the like?

i'd want to join that page!

Archived