child visas

cutiemcprettybobbi

hi all, not been on here in ages, got visa last feb 11 then found out was pregnant, validated in april, and now trying to sort all to get down under for good! so, my agent that i used for visa is asking for £2400 to process child visa. How can i do the application all by myself and how much is it to do this way? Is the medical the full one adults have, ie with x-rays?

So looking forward to going but seems so much to do, sell house, get job, blah blah blah

thanks in advance x:err:

Hello, I was in the same boat we had 175 visas but then I became pregnant and my son was born in August last year. The child migrant visa is very easy to do but if you are thinking of going soon then chances are you will have to do 2 applications; 1 a child migrant visa which is about £1300 and 2. a tourist visa ( £75 ) while your waiting for the child migrant visa to be granted ( it takes about 8 months) so you will need a 6 or 12 month tourist visa in the meantime. Tourist visa is also very easy. I found it best to get a case officer in place for the migrant visa and then I spoke to that case officer about the tourist visa.

The medical was pretty basic ( no X-rays for babies) we went to a place nr Knightsbridge and they logged the result straight into the system- they asked us to do the medical for the migrant visa within about a week of lodging the application so there is nothing left to do for that visa before we go.. The doctor just examined him and listened to his chest and weighed him we must have been in there all of 15 minutes. you must also take the red book in but the doctor didn't ask for it. Our tourist visa was granted in a week or so and we are off to Brisbane in March. Obviously I don't know what the agent told you as far as the best route to take is (this is just what we did following the advice of the high commission) but we also spoke to an agent as it was just another thing to do but it was so expensive and having done it now I'm glad I did as it was very easy.

Hope this helps.

Hi Wrussell, unsure what you mean by 2nd opinion. I have an agent, used for our visas but is quoting a huge sum just to basically check over the application and send off and if i can save some much needed moving money by doing ourselves if relatively simple then i want to do that. Agents will always say its best to do through them wont they?

cheers :)

We never used agents for our original application, so when we had to apply for child dependent I did it again. Best thing is read through the forms, then read again with the notes and be clear on what you need to provide. If anything it was more straightforward than ours. If you're not confident then use an agent. We had to get police checks again and his medical but that was very straightforward, no xrays required although I forget if we had to get a urine sample.

I don't agree necessarily that having an agent equates to "safety" and doing the application yourself is in any way risky- which is the impression which agents sometimes try and foster.

We did our 175 visas ourselves and the child visa / 12 month tourist visa we have just completed, no problems or queries whatsoever with any of them. If you aren't sure which route to go down I found the high commission extremely helpful so I just printed off the forms, went through them and circled any questions I wasn't sure about and then phoned their helpline.

• 2 months later...
Hello, I was in the same boat we had 175 visas but then I became pregnant and my son was born in August last year. The child migrant visa is very easy to do but if you are thinking of going soon then chances are you will have to do 2 applications; 1 a child migrant visa which is about £1300 and 2. a tourist visa ( £75 ) while your waiting for the child migrant visa to be granted ( it takes about 8 months) so you will need a 6 or 12 month tourist visa in the meantime. Tourist visa is also very easy. I found it best to get a case officer in place for the migrant visa and then I spoke to that case officer about the tourist visa.

The medical was pretty basic ( no X-rays for babies) we went to a place nr Knightsbridge and they logged the result straight into the system- they asked us to do the medical for the migrant visa within about a week of lodging the application so there is nothing left to do for that visa before we go.. The doctor just examined him and listened to his chest and weighed him we must have been in there all of 15 minutes. you must also take the red book in but the doctor didn't ask for it. Our tourist visa was granted in a week or so and we are off to Brisbane in March. Obviously I don't know what the agent told you as far as the best route to take is (this is just what we did following the advice of the high commission) but we also spoke to an agent as it was just another thing to do but it was so expensive and having done it now I'm glad I did as it was very easy.

Hope this helps.

I have been reading about your situation with interest as we have the same problem; all the family have 175 PR visas except for my youngest who was born after we got our visas and is now 2. We hope to finally move out to Cairns towards the end of this year, and our PR runs out in July 2013. We are thinking of doing a child migration visa application (101) and tourist visa as you did, but you have to go offshore to activate the visa if you are in Australia when it is issued. So I have been contemplating just going with the little one on a tourist visa and then applying for a child visa (802) once in Oz, as this means we don't have to leave Australia to activate it. I think this might be a cheaper option for us, but is it a bit risky? or harder to apply for the visa in Oz?? Anyone done it this way?

Imogen

[quote name= Agents will always say its best to do through them wont they?

cheers :)

No.

Here is a recent reply to a person who sought an assessment:

Dear XXXXX

This was question 15 on your assessment form:

Give full details of all previous or current visa or skills assessment applications either finalised or in progress and details of all visas you have held. Let us know the status of any previous or current skills applications. If there were complications with any visa or visa application, please give details. If you hold or have held an Australian visa what class of visa do you hold and when does it expire? What Schedule 8 conditions are on your current or previous visa?

Your answer was:

I have passed my skilled assessment with TRA (Trade Recognitions Australia)

We understood from your answer that you had a positive pre-migration skills assessment from TRA, but it now seems that you have only lodged an application with TRA.

Based on the information you provided on your assessment form, it seemed unlikely to us that you would have been able to nominate a skilled occupation for which you would have received a positive assessment from TRA.

In the belief that you had a positive pre-migration skills assessment from TRA plus IELTS 8 it looked as if you had done much of the hard work yourself and you would not need the full services of a registered migration agent to manage your case.

As matter stand we do not know:

When you sat IELTS

Your nominated skilled occupation

When you lodged with TRA

Congratulations on your IELTS band scores and all the best with your TRA application.

Due to lack of information, we cannot advise you at this stage.

Best

Westly