UK Military Discharge Certificates....

vinny1275

Morning all,

Well, the email arrived this morning, we've got a CO! :) It looks like the docs we've uploaded so far are good, as we've been asked for medicals and military discharge certificates. Medicals are booked for this afternoon, as luck would have it, but the discharge certificates are a bit more fun. Because we've never been in the military. The reason we've been asked for them is that I filled in the question "have you ever been in the military OR received firearms training". We were both in the air cadets as teenagers (it's how we met), and both had training in handling and firing rifles. So I filled those details into the form.

I've emailed the CO this morning explaining that the UK cadet force is an after school organisation like the scouts, that there's no service requirement, and that we were teenagers while attending, and included a link to the atc website. It's possible that I can get a letter on headed paper from my old cadet squadron explaining the circumstances if they don't accept my explanation.

Anyone else had anything similar, or any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Vince

Guest AKA63029

Hi Vince.

I can't see your time in the Air Cadets being applicable, but you filled out the forms in good faith and honesty, no problem there.

Wait for your CO to come back to you and go from there, but I really can't see this being a problem matey.

Cheers Tony.

The question is there for a few reasons

1 it identifies people who may be a potential security risk to Australia.

2 It identifies people that may elect to become mercenaries as an employment option and having to provide consular service to these type of people is not something Australia wants.

3 It identifies people who may have committed war crimes in the past.

I suspect been a member of the cadets will not put you into any of these categories.

1 it identifies people who may be a potential security risk to Australia.

Guess they didn't check that when Julia Gillard came from Wales aged four but that is a bit of topic.

On a serious note, don't worry. The COs very often go by what is the standard docs required if a box is ticked. Once you explain the situation they usually are very understanding and cooperative. I for example used to live in Oz for a few months. The period was in excess of twelve months but since I had massive amounts of travel outside Australia it was less than twelve months physically in Australia. So once the CO requested a police certificate from AFPO from me I explained to them that I spent a lot of time travelling giving them the dates of entry and exit in an email. The responded within 24 hours and advised no police certificate from AFPO was needed.

So let your CO know and be patient. You'll be fine. :wink:

Archived