Renting before you go?

Guest chloew

Hello

Does anyone know if you can organise long term renting before you go? For example through domain.com.au. If not then can anyone recommend short term apartments for about a month? We are looking in Melbourne.

Thanks

Chloe

Guest jonseywife

Hi Chloe

We tried to do this recently, but have been told they like to see your proof of ID like your passport, visa, driving licence, bank account, any references or copy of mortgage statement etc before they let you rent (I think they call it the 100 point check ).

Most people get a holiday home first and also, It might be best to actually see the place in person before you sign for a year... you might end up next to a manure farm !!!!!! Urgghh !!!!

They like you to view and apply for property in person when you are here.Ihavnt known anyone secure a long term rent from the UK.Some are complete pig stys so i would want to see what im applying for first anyway.Alot of folks stay in caravan parks,motels etc until they get a rental sorted,,good luck with everything

Cal x

Guest Ron & Chel

Hi all i rang an australian letting agent a few months ago and asked if we could rent before we land he told me we could weather this would be diff when we act go to do it we do have family out there which is an advantage they did say they would inspect for us b4 we committ

Its not too bad if you have someone here to do the inspection but personally i found this the most important bit.The agents are so strict on the state of the property when you leave ,,if it isnt mint dont expect all your bond back.A good friend was deducted $50 for removal of a cobweb outside!!!The inspection is the most important bit and a good oportunity to discuss any discrepancies you see at the property with the agent.if it isnt wrote down they wont want to know when you come to vacate,,hope this makes sense

Cal x

At the moment the rental market in cental melbourne is red hot

I am currently staying at budjet hotel on little collins street

have got a weekly rate of 390 Dollars. this may increase in january.

This is the cheapest i could find that is habitable.

I have been looking for a an appartment for several weeks

whent to a viewing house in South Yarra 4 months lease

looked ok on the Internet.

could best be described as a sticky carpet afair would sleep on

a park bench before paying the asking rent & over 1200 Dollar bond.!

You may see on the Internet appartment for 200 dollars per week

these are usually restricted to students.

I waisted a saturday morning at a viewing only to find it was

restricted to students , There were several other peaple

that the agent failed to inform about this restriction.

Hi Chloe,

I can't answer your question but would be interested in hearing what you find out and also what you know about Melbourne.

We're hoping to move to Melbourne but don't know much about the area, how did you decide where to go?

It'd be so great to hear from others who have done what we want to do.

Good luck.

Hi there

My Dad is originally from Melbourne - has been in UK for nearly 40 years now though - and I still have some extended family there. They live on the Mornington Peninsula which is lovely. We also have some good friends who have made the move there recently.

At the moment we want to try the Williamstown/Newport area.Main reason for that is we liked it and it felt "right" when we stayed there last year! A lot will depend on jobs though which is why we will rent fora few months before committing to anywhere. My job is in the centre of Melbourne but at the moment we don't know where my husband is going to be!

Hope that helps!

It must be possible to secure long term rental have spoken to a couple of people on another forum one going to Cairns and another to Mountain Creek who both secured through estate agents via realestate.com

Sent all ID via email and offered to pay a few months rent in advance.

Its a risky business the one in Mountain Creek had another forum user already there to check out the house not so sure about the Cairns one.

Its a risky business but can be done.

• 2 weeks later...
Its not too bad if you have someone here to do the inspection but personally i found this the most important bit.The agents are so strict on the state of the property when you leave ,,if it isnt mint dont expect all your bond back.A good friend was deducted $50 for removal of a cobweb outside!!!The inspection is the most important bit and a good oportunity to discuss any discrepancies you see at the property with the agent.if it isnt wrote down they wont want to know when you come to vacate,,hope this makes sense

Cal x

I've heard so many stories of tenants giving hard luck stories when it comes to getting one's Bond Money back............. and how pedantic some of the letting agencies are. :goofy:

As a landlord............. we thought we'd do the right thing and do up one of our rental properties.......... make it nice for the new tenant. Like idiots we put down new carpets, new blinds.............. got the whole house painted inside............. put in mirrored robes .......... TV points in every room..............run power points out to the workshop.

We had a couple of excellent tenants.......... no complaints.............. both rented our place one after the other while they built their own house and everything was fine. ...... until one day we copped the original Tenant From Hell.

We thought he was a nice guy at first............. just a bit down on his luck......... in between jobs and all that................. he was struggling to pay the rent..........then he'd go up bush for a few months and come back cashed up. he seemed to have got his act together jobwise and paid on time so all was seemingly alright for a few months.

Then the headaches began.............. no rent for ages............... we had to go to court to get vacant possession.............. when we achieved same we were in for a mighty big shock once we did gain access.

I wouldn't have let our two dogs stay in that house............. drug paraphernalia everywhere................ burns in the carpets where spoons had been heated up. When drunk he'd lost the keys so had climbed on the roof and lifted a couple of tiles to gain entry............ no worries until it rained as he didn't put them back. Okay.......... the insurance company fixed up the leaking roof damage and a new paint job for that one room............... but the insurance company wouldn't fix up the rest of the damage. :arghh:

There was rubbish everywhere.............. we had to get 2 big skips to remove all the junk............... we managed to get hold of his dad who was most apologetic....... and we found out it wasn't the first time he had done this!

I didn't have my own Real Estate Agency then so we had put our rentals through a letting agency..............obviously the letting agency weren't doing their job properly re inspections and what have you.............. still charged me for same but! Back garden hidden behind a fence was lion and tiger territory............ like a jungle ......I doubt if it had been cut for at least a year.............. there was a fire danger as the grass was taller than the hidden gas hot water system and was all scorched from the flue. ...... ........ couple more weeks and the whole lot could have gone up in smoke.

Our Tenant From Hell even had the gall to request his Bond Money back............... cost us $6,000-00 to get the place habitable and fit for humans once more. The annoying thing about this is we purposely kept the rent down because we had two magic tenants first few years and wanted to do the right thing by them. All this happened just over 12 months ago when the going rate was $230 a week but we were happy to accept $170 a week............... as long as they kept the place looking good.

We let the prat stay in our home for a $170 a week.............. and he still didn't do the right thing by us.:shocked:

Archived