IELTS - Who needs to take it?

KathleenandCraig

Hi All

We are booking Kathleen onto the IELTS test in Manchester and we wondered if someone was able to help with the following:

• We are still undecided over VISAs regarding PR or TEMP>PR, does that affect whether Kathleen will need to take the IELTS?
  • As a nurse will she need to sit the General or Academic test?
  • As Kathleen is the Visa applicant, is it both of us or just Kathleen that needs to sit the test?
  • As a native English speaker is the IELTS a major challenge with the right prep? She has been advised by some migration agents she would need to get a level 8? Its a bit of unknown entity so difficult to judge how difficult it may or may not be, we have bought the prep pack to help though.

Thanks as always for the help. Hope to be in Birmingham this weekend for the Down Under event to collect more info and there is a talk going on in Manchester next week we will be attending.

Cheers

If you're British passport holder (or Irish, Candian or US I think), you don't need to take it, you're classed as having functional English. You taking IELTS won't be any advantage, you don't get any extra points as a secondary applicant. If you don't hold one of those passports, you'll need IELTS, or you'll be liable for a payment towards English lessons before the PR visa is granted - think it's about $4K. I think for the nursing registration, Kathleen will need those IELTS results whether she's looking for PR or Temp, so just get it out the way (I'm an IT techy, so not speaking from experience, just what I've picked up)...

People seem to overthink the IELTS test, thinking that the obvious answer can't be right - just remember that it's designed for non-native speakers, so if there's an obvious answer, use that one! There are plenty of online guides to help with it, plenty of practice and it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

HTH,

Vince

Archived