Five Australian cities in the worlds top 20 most expensive places to live.

Cerberus1

Guest Guest62757
About time the world stopped comparing everything to the US dollar - a small reason why I'm geting out of the UK, I'm fed up with Britain being a patsy to the US !

Oh dear you'll have a bit of a shock then when you come to Oz. You couldn't find a country more cosier than with the US.

The style of old shop fronts, houses, drive thru culture even the language is very American my poor children are already saying "trash".

Couple of points for you.

1. I have looked at housing in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth....and are reasonably close

2. The housing market did not crash in Texas.....particularly in Austin, in fact, the economy there was growing while the rest of the country crashed

So, I'm basing my general comment on a broader scope of Australia compared to one of the (if not the) most solid economic areas in the US. Even if you quartered the house value in Australia and doubled the value in the US, Australia would still be outrageously priced.

Houses in many good parts of Sydney would be far cheaper in the equivalent place in Brisbane. Or far bigger and better. Comparing 5km from town in Sydney to 5 km to town in Austin might be approaching useful. Sydney to the whole US far less so. Have seen some posts recently from people moving to the US along the lines of 'crash, what crash' and they have not found similarly postioned houses in the market they moved to compared to the one they moved from as different as all the extreme examples suggested they might be. They were highly disappointed. Granted some will have a big discrepancy but I don't think the markets are as uniform in Australia or the US as you might think. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Australia is in a housing bubble, much like the US (except for Texas) was 3 years ago. The worlds economic troubles are gradually creeping in here as well. Beware a house crash here! It will be much worse than the US due to the outrageous prices.

You could be right, you could be wrong, none of us know. I have lived through this twice before in Australia and the house prices just dropped some and then stagnated until wages caught up. Alternatively it could crash but not a given like some suggest. The house prices have already come down 10% in Brisbane and wages haing been increasing 3/4% every year so it could work either way. To be honest the prices now here don't seem that more unaffordable than when I was first buying in 1990. More unaffordable yes, but not to the extreme suggested. Just have to start in a worse location or house than you might want and have two incomes or one strong income. Exactly like we did. Average mortgage here is already the same as the UK and they have had a crash.

According to some reports we are heading for a skills shortage and unprecedented mining booms in qld and WA. According to others the crash has to happen as it happened elsewhere. It is all just speculation really.

Good points. It's really all up to the country itself whether housing crashes...and Australia takes care of it's business so most likely it won't or will be minimal. I'd say a big factor will be if China has a slow down, which will in turn affect mining and resource exports for Australia....but then again you just export to someone else.

Oh dear you'll have a bit of a shock then when you come to Oz. You couldn't find a country more cosier than with the US.

The style of old shop fronts, houses, drive thru culture even the language is very American my poor children are already saying "trash".

Nothing wrong with saying "trash" :wink:

Guest Guest62757
Nothing wrong with saying "trash" :wink:

*shudders* :cute:

Just pointing out to the other poster that if you are not too fond of the US then you'll not be too fond of some of the attributes Aussies have adopted.

In the TSB International survey last month Australia rated highly with expats for quality of life with 77% of respondents in Australia feeling their living standards are better. However only 64.7% of expats in Australia said they were happier than in the UK.

In terms of 'cost of living', only 35% of expats in Australia said their living costs are lower than in the UK.

Archived