To apply for residency independantly or through a company? That is the question!

touch107fm

We are currently on a 457 visa sponsored by the hospital that I work and am planning on applying for permanent residency for two reasons really, 1) this will give us the freedom to move wherever we want - at them moment we are completely tied to the hospital for a visa and 2) so we can buy a property here. We have had a big dilemmas as whether to apply for PR independently or through the hospital. We really dont see ourselves staying in Sydney for another three years since we would really like to buy somewhere and sydney is just way too expensive. We have looked at moving to Perth and are thinking of doing so one our PR comes through. I was told that although I sign something to say that I will work at the hospital for three years this isn't a legal thing and that if i wanted to leave before that then I could. However I have just seen a declaration on the 47ES form for PR that If I am applying under ENS then I am agreeing to take up the position for at least three years. Oh dear! I hadn't actually planned on staying for another three years! Has anyone else been in this situation? Applied for the ENS 856 visa and then left your job before three years? What did immigration do? I have rang immigration and asked this question a couple of times - the first person said that once we have PR immigration dont actually care if i leave the job before three years is up (but the hospital might be a bit pissed off!) Then the second person I spoke too said that we would have to consult immigration is we left before the three years is up and that they may potentially cancel the visa - it is taken case by case so they couldn't tell me what would happen for definite.

Would really appreciate any insight anyone has into this matter as I think we have ourselves in a bit of a sticky situation now! Thank you!

Hiya

Essentially, for me if I were in your position, it would come down to whether you think you could get a job without sponsorship. From someone who is here on an independent visa, I am finding it hard securing employment. Harder than I thought it would be. Same for my husband. :)

Guest lilimary

There is no legal obligation to stay in your job for 3 years if you go PR the ENS way. So take your sponsored PR and leave whenever you feel like it!

Immi won't do anything about it dont worry

Guest Guest31881

If you go down the sponsor route you can be tied to your employer, you sign a contract and normally it will state that if you do not complete the 3 years (or what ever the stipulation is) then they can claim back some or all of the costs involved in sponsoring you, Much safer I would have thought to go the independent route and own nothing to anyone.

Archived